blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:23:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL BOOK THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL BOOK THREAD' ***  (Read 21701 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2014, 09:35:15 PM »

Gone Girl was remarkable in it's construction and as you say, our sympathies were tugged each and every way throughout.

If you enjoyed it I think you will also enjoy Bloody Women by Helen Fitzgerald. That has a twist or two and some rather clever writing.

Thanks for the recommend David, Bloody Women was certainly an interesting read. I would have preferred it to be twice as long so some of the peripheral characters were a bit more fleshed out but enjoyed it. Obvious comparisons to Gone Girl but felt a bit all over the place at times, makes the characters in Gone Girl look positively sane.

Next up for me is Russell Brands Revolution offset with a re-read of Watership Down which I haven't read for at least 10 years but absolutely love.

I'm going to take a punt, here, and recommend The Stars' Tennis Balls for you. Just putting together what I reckon from those books will tickle your fancy.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »

Thanks Tal, had been meaning to read Stephen Fry's novels. I finished his latest autobiography a couple of weeks ago where he writes a fair bit about the writing process, will start with that one.
VBlue

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2014, 12:53:34 PM »

Have been having my head ripped off understanding how I am 'Fooled by Randomness' and now on the cosmos, our place in it, why we are here, and whether we are alone, by that guy who played keys on one of my favourite house tunes 'You're the Best Thing'.

Anything in either category for my monthly audible purchase would suffice. Maybe not another Nassim Nicholas Tales book.  Default choice was to go for Bill Bryson Short History of Nearly Everything.   Recommendations please.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2015, 01:56:29 PM »

Just booked a week in the sun for the end of this month so got some books on order:-

The Girl in the Spiders Web
Fooled by Randomness
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat
Notes From A Small Island
Go Set A Watchman
Paper Towns

Particularly looking forward to a new tale of Lisbeth and Mikael plus the new Harper Lee. Hopefully neither are a disappointment.

Tal, thanks for the recommendation of The Stars' Tennis Balls. Got it for Christmas last year and thought it was excellent.

Anybody else reading anything interesting? 
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2015, 12:16:27 AM »

I'm currently rereading Black Swan.

Pretty sure tikay would love it!
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2015, 01:26:50 AM »

Ahem
http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=55053.0

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2015, 11:48:23 AM »

Anyone got a recommendation for a non fiction book that will leave the reader with a bit of hope and positivity towards the human race? Not looking for any fluffy hippy shit, just something with a good message.

I've just read 'A brief history of the future' and now I am just finishing 'Chavs: The Demonisation of the Working Class' - both are very good, but both are quite grim reading. Not sure I can stomach a third book in a row that will bum me out.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2015, 11:53:38 AM »

Why?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
strak33

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2015, 01:22:56 PM »

Anyone got a recommendation for a non fiction book that will leave the reader with a bit of hope and positivity towards the human race? Not looking for any fluffy hippy shit, just something with a good message.

I've just read 'A brief history of the future' and now I am just finishing 'Chavs: The Demonisation of the Working Class' - both are very good, but both are quite grim reading. Not sure I can stomach a third book in a row that will bum me out.

Go out and be a good person?
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2015, 05:09:35 PM »

Why?

It's the story of big unpredictables changing the way the world works. Premised on the idea that until someone saw a black swan the idea they could be any other colour than white was preposterous.

It's a story of adaptability and randomness. I'm pretty sure those are Buffet-endorsed ideas Wink
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2016, 09:08:27 AM »

Bumped for muckthenuts Smiley

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2016, 10:58:55 AM »

Just finished this and it may be my book of the year, every page has something mind blowing on it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K7ED54M/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2016, 12:02:38 PM »

On the recommendation of DaveShoelace (somewhere else?) I read a few Jon Ronson books.

So you have been publically shamed is very good, though I may well think that as it is my view on most of what is wrong with the likes of twitter.  Astonishing how Trump gets away with so much when so many have their lives ruined for so little?

Them is very good too. 

I didn't find The Psycopath Test so easy.  It is just harder to see the funny side I guess.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2016, 08:26:04 PM »

Why?

It's the story of big unpredictables changing the way the world works. Premised on the idea that until someone saw a black swan the idea they could be any other colour than white was preposterous.

It's a story of adaptability and randomness. I'm pretty sure those are Buffet-endorsed ideas Wink

Great book, might give it a reread whilst I'm at home.

Bit of a different tone but I would really recommend the storm light archives if anyone is looking for a fantasy series to get stuck into. It might beat out game of thrones for me, really excited for the third coming out next year.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: