blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:42:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272583 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Things I wish I knew
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things I wish I knew  (Read 111802 times)
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »

9. Why do people leave football matches with 5 minutes to go? Would they leave the cinema 5 minutes before the end of a film just to "beat the rush"?

You'll like this Keith.

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 05:25:05 PM »

9. Why do people leave football matches with 5 minutes to go? Would they leave the cinema 5 minutes before the end of a film just to "beat the rush"?

You'll like this Keith.

My favourite bit is when he shouts the result to his mate.

Top stuff, almost wish Coventry had gone through.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 01:27:02 AM »

8 can be caused by bad driving. A bad driver is driving too close to the car in front. He gets a bit closer and brakes slightly. The bad driver behind is too close to him and has to brake slightly too. This continues behind, increasing as it goes, as all the bad drivers behind are forced to do the same. It only stops if there is a good driver who has left enough space to absorb the effect without braking. If there isn't, and there is enough traffic, you get a jam five miles back. This then clears and everyone wonders what happened.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:49:49 AM by MintTrav » Logged
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 06:17:45 AM »

Truly terrible analogy.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »

Does anything eat wasps?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 10:12:36 AM »

There's more:

6. Is "a lot" one word or two? What about "thankyou"?

7. Why are people rude to strangers when it doesn't benefit them at all? Some bloke was driving down the road, slowed his car down, unwound his window and shouted "you fat *****" to me a couple of weeks ago. Why would he do this?

8. WTF causes some traffic jams? No roadworks, no crash, no nothing, yet traffic is at a standstill. Then 10 minutes the road is clear.

10. Why is airline food notjust shit, but really shit? Can't they just buy loads of ready meals from Sainsburys and heat them up? Only £3 a time. First class passengers could have M and S ready meals.

8 is easy.

Read this, then I'll ask questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_traffic_theory

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 10:30:10 AM »

Does anything eat wasps?

Yes sir!

Robber flies do.

The older I get, the better I was.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »

Sick photo tekkers

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 01:46:52 PM »

2- I take it you are getting off the scale to have a crap?

Best answer in the thread Cheesy

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 03:37:44 PM »

There's more:

6. Is "a lot" one word or two? What about "thankyou"?

Both two words.  Although you can use 'thankyou' as a noun or adjective (such as thankyou party), although I'd probably go for thank-you instead in that case.

7. Why are people rude to strangers when it doesn't benefit them at all? Some bloke was driving down the road, slowed his car down, unwound his window and shouted "you fat *****" to me a couple of weeks ago. Why would he do this?

He was from Leeds.

8. WTF causes some traffic jams? No roadworks, no crash, no nothing, yet traffic is at a standstill. Then 10 minutes the road is clear.

It's to do with waves (basically the traffic can be considered as a fluid flowing along a channel) and people driving badly/erratically can compound the effects.  If you think about a steady stream of traffic flowing at 60mph on a motorway, and suddenly a lorry jack-knifes across all the lanes, the traffic has to stop.  The tail-back this causes will grow at the rate of 1 mile every minute (assuming the traffic continues to join the flow at the same rate).  Even without coming to a complete stop, slowing down the flow causes bunching, and this moves like a wave down the traffic flow.  For example, the traffic on the other side of the motorway. It isn't directly affected by the accident, but people rubber-necking will cause the flow to slow, causing people to brake and slow down - and this effect is then passed back along the carriageway as a wave.  As they pass the accident, the traffic then accelerates back to their desired speed and runs smoothly again.

This happens all the time on the motorway but doesn't always have to be as dramatic or the causes as obvious.  It could be a steep hill (so lorries and cars slowing down), traffic joining or leaving the motorway at a congested junction, road works, changing weather conditions, a police car on or next to the carriageway (or even a traffic officer) causing people to slow down, etc.

They calculate (subconsciously) the enjoyment-factor of staying at the match and compare it to the benefit-factor of leaving early and missing the traffic/rush, etc.

10. Why is airline food not just shit, but really shit? Can't they just buy loads of ready meals from Sainsburys and heat them up? Only £3 a time. First class passengers could have M and S ready meals.

They are made to a very strict budget, and also have long shelf-lives.  Not sure why they are quite as bad as they are though Cheesy

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 04:17:37 PM »

7. Why are people rude to strangers when it doesn't benefit them at all? Some bloke was driving down the road, slowed his car down, unwound his window and shouted "you fat *****" to me a couple of weeks ago. Why would he do this? Cus he knew you would post it on here to give us a laugh  Smiley

10. Why is airline food notjust shit, but really shit? Can't they just buy loads of ready meals from Sainsburys and heat them up? Only £3 a time. First class passengers could have M and S ready meals. They aren't that bad are they FFS? As long as my expectations are at the right level I think they are mostly ok tbh.
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 04:38:16 PM »

Yes Woodsey airline food is that bad.  You dont even get into edible until you reach first class imo.  Incidentally if you are taking a flight you should always take the food even if you have no intention of eating it because you are much more likely to get security delays if you don't.  Airline staff report those that take no food or drink to customs as more likely to be drugs swallowers according to a relative of mine that is an air hostess.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 04:41:50 PM »

We'll I'm a pretty fussy eater, I guess you are pretty tough to feed!

It never looks great, but only the odd time I've thought it was shit, there is always at least half of it that is ok enough to keep you going.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:44:00 PM by Woodsey » Logged
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 05:49:50 PM »

I think I'd rather die then have to eat airline food. I mean I guess I'd have the heart for 6 months on the minimum spending some £££ but screw long term.

Starved myself on flights for the last 6 years or so, normally can find some sort of snack though.

I found this on about wasps

The following answer has been selected and edited by New Scientist staff

The lowly wasp certainly has its place in the food chain. Indeed, the question should possibly be "what doesn't feed, in one way or another, on this lowly and potentially dangerous insect?"

Here are a few that do, the first list being invertebrates: several species of dragonflies (Odonata); robber and hoverflies (Diptera); wasps (Hymenoptera), usually the larger species feeding on smaller species, such as social paper wasps (Vespula maculata) eating V. utahensis; beetles (Coleoptera); and moths (Lepidoptera).

The following are vertebrates that feed on wasps: numerous species of birds, skunks, bears, badgers, bats, weasels, wolverines, rats, mice and last, but certainly not least, humans and probably some of our closest ancestors.

I have eaten the larvae of several wasp species fried in butter, and found them quiet tasty.

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/lastword/2005/03/does-anything-eat-wasps.html

is the word *****

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 05:54:12 PM »

I actually own the book that wasp quote is taken from (actually the eponymous book!), but have never got round to reading it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: