blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:10:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Cleaning Up My Laptop
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cleaning Up My Laptop  (Read 1281 times)
VBlue

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2013, 11:46:52 AM »

I've been asking a few questions in my diary but despite loads of readers, very little participating.

So, I'm going to try here for a few things.  Firstly, I need to get rid of some bugs off my laptop and just clean it up in general.  Factory setting reset possible or something else?

I just want my browser and email client on, poker client ldo, and Open Office.

What should I do?  Also, got that Coupon Drop Down bug needing rid of.  Would that go if I did perform a factory reset or something?

Hope these questions are good enough to elicit answers.  Thanks in hope.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 12:03:42 PM »

I use this for keeping my computers clean and it does the job.

Advanced System Care - http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare/3000-2086_4-10407614.html

I'm not very PC savvy, so can't really help beyond that I'm afraid...

aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 12:06:46 PM »

Just remove them via control panel.

PS - 10 min free views start late these days, so leave some stuff on
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 01:13:44 PM »

I've been asking a few questions in my diary but despite loads of readers, very little participating.

So, I'm going to try here for a few things.  Firstly, I need to get rid of some bugs off my laptop and just clean it up in general.  Factory setting reset possible or something else?

I just want my browser and email client on, poker client ldo, and Open Office.

What should I do?  Also, got that Coupon Drop Down bug needing rid of.  Would that go if I did perform a factory reset or something?

Hope these questions are good enough to elicit answers.  Thanks in hope.

using windows I presume....

to 'properly' clean, you want to first back up your stuff, files/emails/settings etc (hh database normally has a function to do a backup for those files).

once backed up (to do this go to control panel backup and restore, you want an external hard drive connected to save the information to), a full wipe of the system and reinstalling windows is your best bet. to do that, requires some of the following

to download the copy of windows you need, in iso form

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

(get the right type ldo)

either a blank dvd or a >4gb usb drive

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

(to put your copy of windows onto the device)

then just start your computer up with the disc/usb inserted and press a key to make it boot from that device.

once re-installed, copy back across your data and re-install applications you decided you wanted to keep.

your computer will be like new, infact it will be better than new because you wont have half the guff that already comes installed on it.

if you can't/don't want to do that, then go to

start- control panel- programs and features, go through the list right clicking on any program you don't know about or don't use and uninstalling them.

then go to start and type msconfig (and hit enter ldo)

this will bring up a window with information for how your computer starts up and what it loads, you want to remove as much 'toot' as possible so it loads quicker, many applications like skype/windowsmedia player etc etc think they are super important and instantly start to load when you turn on the computer draining your resources. That said tick startup

and deselect any programs you don't use EVERY DAY MORE THAN A FEW TIMES. If you don't know what something is or what it does go to google and search it's name and see what it says.

then try downloading a couple of programs

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
(click analyze, then run cleaner)
and

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

(quick or full scan should be fine and this is a free part of the software).

use those programs to run scans on your computer, they will tell you of any infected items or dodgy things that it's not happy with. (nb this may take some time).

you mention a browser virus? or a drop down or something. to remove these sorts of issues, a full re-install properly pwns them but if not (I will assume you use firefox but it doesn't matter firefox/chrome etc are all the same method, you want to initially open internet explorer (god help us stupid goddam microsoft european courty scummers anyway I digress).... click the wrench and go to internet options, click connections and check no information has been added to the 'dial up and virtual private network settings' area, it should be blank. if there is something there delete it sigh and consider re-installing windows imo it means w/e dodgyness you have, seriously changed your internet settings and made you exceptionally vulnerable.  With that blank you can either manually check the settings of homepage etc or you can go to the advanced tab and click 'reset internet explorer settings'. Once you've done IE then go to which ever browser you use and check/re-edit the homepage settings and delete any extensions or addons that you don't know about or don't want.

nb make sure with the coupon thing, once you have deleted the program from programs/features, you need to then check the add on sections of all your browsers to check that you have deleted it from there.

Think that should just about cover everything you asked about.

Oooooh and if you are going to re-install windows then you want to either find the product key on the sticker on your computer or your windows cd case (if you have the cd then you don't need to create a boot disc ldo).

if not don't worry, just download the magical jellybean keyfinder,

http://download.cnet.com/Magical-Jelly-Bean-Keyfinder/3000-18487_4-10079600.html

run the program and it will give you a window where it searched your computers innards and pulled out your product id, make a note for that if you are going to re-install.

and bobs your uncle.

NB if you are doing all this, might be worth taking the time to vacuum analyse your hem database if that's what you use, it spring cleans the db and relearns all the locations to make using the application run alot faster. this takes alot longer depending on the size of the database than re-installing windows fwiw.

if you don't have any anti virus then consider downloading and installing microsoft security essentials-

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:21:51 PM by titaniumbean » Logged
VBlue

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 01:31:59 PM »

Massive thanks, especially to you titaniumbean

Yes to windows.
Yes to Firefox.

Probably go for that 1st option.  Seems more straight-forward, quicker, and cleaner to me.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 01:35:27 PM »

you'll need a harddrive, internet to download a ~4gb file and a bit of time and either usb drive or blank dvd.

that should cover everything you need to do. even once you re-install you can have a look at the msconfig window to see if there is any toot you want to get rid of.
VBlue

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 02:11:02 PM »

Think I can do all of that.  Thanks again.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 02:56:53 PM »

Sorry if I'm too late, but have you tried turning it off and on?

The older I get, the better I was.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »

Sorry if I'm too late, but have you tried turning it off and on?

he needs to turn it on/off once he's done all the fiddling about with it thumbs up
Biddy 62

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 09:20:20 PM »

Ha ha better late than never Tom.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: