blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:03:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272604 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Being a Lolpro for dummies.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Being a Lolpro for dummies.  (Read 48826 times)
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2013, 07:18:31 PM »

As this is primerily a poker diary, the comparison to 'results orientated' thinking is evident when the pundits say "Well how can you drop Compton after he's just scored 2 hundreds?"

Well because it's best for the future of the team obv.

Earlier, one of the commentators, think it was Michael Holding, came out with "If he gets in, then it's a good run", referring to a quick single taken by the New Zealand batsmen.

If a batsman would've been run out by half a pitch most of the time, but the fielder misses the stumps and it goes for 4 overthrows, that doesn't make it good running.

At the same time, if you take a single and you're going to get in 99% of the time, but the other 1% of the time someone will come up with a brilliant piece of fielding and run you out by a couple of inches, then it's still a good run.

It's either a good run or a bad run, regardless of the result.

So tilting.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:53:24 PM by Evilpengwinz » Logged
Katais

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2013, 08:55:19 AM »

There's a million and 1 examples of it, some are massive, others quite obscure, but it's really annoying when you get into that mindset of picking up on every single thing.

Fk u poker.

"was it a good decision to bat first having won the toss? time will tell..........."

fduwvhjofejvoejv

Touched on it earlier in the thread about the difference in quality of the coverage between the tests on Sky and the IPL.

Direct comparison on day 1 of the test.

Anchor

IPL = Matt smith and/or Isha Gua  
Sky = David Gower.

Studio analysts

IPL = Akash Chopra & Simon Hughes
Sky = Michael Atherton & Michael Holding

Pitch Report

IPL = Shouty Shafstri
Sky = Sir Ian

Opening Commentators

IPL = Simon Doull & Danny Morrison
Sky = Nasser Hussain & David Lloyd

Strauss joining for the Ashes later in the year too, and hopefully Shane Warne will be there again.

Wasn't a spectacular day yesterday, but despite watching pretty much the whole day live I had to re-watch the highlights on 4 to hear the thoughts of 2 Yorkshire legends, Vaughan & Sir Geoffery.

The ch.4 coverage back in the day was very very good. Wish Sky would sign Sir Geoff up and put him on with Bumble.

Comedy gold.

Big morning this morning, Jimmy could end up with 9 fer if he can get it right (and it's not raining). 1/2 early and the rest could be blown away.

Broad/Finn didn't look particularly threatening Sad

^Edit

One straight away this morning.

Broad gets the ball @ Jimmys end and gets B Mac 1st over

"Well done Cook for getting the right bowler at the right end" - Athers

pffffft.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:20:59 AM by Katais » Logged
Katais

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2013, 11:58:10 PM »

So we have some cricket experts itt?

Thought on Swann, as England Top Bowler v New Zealand?

Still no chance though imo.

Toss up between Jimmy and Broad for top series bowler. Jimmy ofc has the superior skill and will get the more prized wickets. (Do the hard work)

Broad will chip in by getting 9,10,Jack out 4 times and end up with flattering figures as always.

Nearly right, Finn got the soft enz'

Root (Compton?) bet looking really good now.

horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2013, 12:07:48 AM »

nasser is a world apart from the rest in the fact he does not change his opinion on a player after one session like botham and lloyd are prone to do.

As to the earlier post Compton is booked in for the ashes now and i do not have a problem with that.

I am just about old enough to remember the end of the last really bad england side that actually had a lot of talent most of which had one or two tests and were then chucked back to county cricket to regress against journeymen, and most of which never returned to fulfill there potential.

If we still persisted with the chop and change system Prior, Anderson and probably Cook would not be the players or have the test records they do today. Thanks to the selectors sticking with them, Prior especially it was not that long ago was regularly referred to on Sky as not being a good enough glove man for test matches.

Katais

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2013, 12:16:16 AM »

nasser is a world apart from the rest in the fact he does not change his opinion on a player after one session like botham and lloyd are prone to do.

As to the earlier post Compton is booked in for the ashes now and i do not have a problem with that.
I am just about old enough to remember the end of the last really bad england side that actually had a lot of talent most of which had one or two tests and were then chucked back to county cricket to regress against journeymen, and most of which never returned to fulfill there potential.

If we still persisted with the chop and change system Prior, Anderson and probably Cook would not be the players or have the test records they do today. Thanks to the selectors sticking with them, Prior especially it was not that long ago was regularly referred to on Sky as not being a good enough glove man for test matches.

Do you think he's the best man for the job?
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2013, 08:35:16 AM »

However, it's thanks to the selectors sticking with players that Bopara is in the Champions' Trophy squad even though he shouldn't play for England ever again because he's rubbish, and Kieswetter somehow played 46 ODIs when my Gran could've scored a ton against Scotland and taken some of the stumpings he missed!! Consistency can be good sometimes, but there's also times when selectors are paid to make fairly obvious decisions, like dropping Bopara and Kieswetter, but they've remained consistent, and players have continued to disappoint.

I thought Cook should've been dropped before the 2010/11 Ashes, and replaced by Adam Lyth (Michael Carberry had his blood clot then so couldn't pick him), but Cook's obviously proven me and any other critics wrong since. Consistency has it's ups and downs, although overall it's been a success. One of the downsides for me it that it may mean it takes longer before Joe Root eventually opens for England.

I don't mind Nick Compton. But there's no way England can leave Root out for the first test vs. Australia, Root can open, and Compton is the 6th best player in the top 6 when KP comes back. If you pretend KP is playing this series instead of Bairstow, then any changes to that batting line up would surely be at the expense of Compton, with Root moving to open. I can't see the selectors doing anything else if they make changes.

This series is a fight between Compton and Bairstow for the last batting spot, and Compton being the man 'in possession' of that final spot in the team. With neither Bairstow or Compton really making any impact in this series vs. NZ so far, I think they'll probably stick with Compton, but there's still another test at Headingley, a Champions' Trophy, and some first class cricket between now and the 10th of July. And let's not forget Eoin Morgan, either. If he wins us the Champions' Trophy, he's a decent chance to play the 1st Ashes Test.

I'm just happy with anyone that isn't Bopara tbh...
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2013, 10:02:05 AM »

However, it's thanks to the selectors sticking with players that Bopara is in the Champions' Trophy squad even though he shouldn't play for England ever again because he's rubbish, and Kieswetter somehow played 46 ODIs when my Gran could've scored a ton against Scotland and taken some of the stumpings he missed!! Consistency can be good sometimes, but there's also times when selectors are paid to make fairly obvious decisions, like dropping Bopara and Kieswetter, but they've remained consistent, and players have continued to disappoint.

I thought Cook should've been dropped before the 2010/11 Ashes, and replaced by Adam Lyth (Michael Carberry had his blood clot then so couldn't pick him), but Cook's obviously proven me and any other critics wrong since. Consistency has it's ups and downs, although overall it's been a success. One of the downsides for me it that it may mean it takes longer before Joe Root eventually opens for England.

I don't mind Nick Compton. But there's no way England can leave Root out for the first test vs. Australia, Root can open, and Compton is the 6th best player in the top 6 when KP comes back. If you pretend KP is playing this series instead of Bairstow, then any changes to that batting line up would surely be at the expense of Compton, with Root moving to open. I can't see the selectors doing anything else if they make changes.

This series is a fight between Compton and Bairstow for the last batting spot, and Compton being the man 'in possession' of that final spot in the team. With neither Bairstow or Compton really making any impact in this series vs. NZ so far, I think they'll probably stick with Compton, but there's still another test at Headingley, a Champions' Trophy, and some first class cricket between now and the 10th of July. And let's not forget Eoin Morgan, either. If he wins us the Champions' Trophy, he's a decent chance to play the 1st Ashes Test.

I'm just happy with anyone that isn't Bopara tbh...

of course it has its ups and downs

however whatever anybody's opinion is its hard to argue that in all forms of the game england have performed a lot better since the consistency of selection than before.

The odi side used to change every series with a collection of "bits and pieces" players who were never international class but were picked because the media clamored for them as they were in good county form. In 2006 England almost had to  qualify for the champions trophy for gods sake!

horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2013, 10:03:21 AM »

Do you think he's the best man for the job?

at the moment yes i back him to have a decent summer with root in the middle order
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2013, 07:37:43 PM »

Played some cash over the last few days, nothing much of interest to report so haven't posted. There's been hardly any 30NL action on Sky (3-4 tables max) and attempts to start tables have often been in vain, so began adding the occasional 50NL table in recently. I don't feel out of my depth against these players, which is a good thing. Planning to build up my roll before I actually move up to 50NL though as I like to be over-rolled for whatever level I'm playing.

Results 17th May
Today: +£20.82
This month: £1,006.03, +1 SPT Seat, +$10.50
Sky Poker Points: 3,513/10,000 (= £52.68 rakeback)

Results 18th May
Today: +£10.40, +$0.25
This month: £1,016.43, +1 SPT Seat, +$10.75
Sky Poker Points: 3,757/10,000 (= £56.36 rakeback)

Haven't played much on 'Stars recently, but will be playing Storm and SCOOP 22-L (and the Bigger $16.50 Turbo but I'm already out of that as I lost a flip) today alongside whatever I end up playing on Sky tonight.
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2013, 02:00:32 AM »

19th May

Didn't play any cash today. Instead, I ended up playing SCOOP 22-L, Sunday Storm, a $16.50 Turbo, and a few random SNGs on both 'Stars and Sky. The plan was to play SCOOP 21-L as well, but I couldn't be bothered to get up at 4pm, and didn't want to late reg as the value comes from playing bad players who don't have a clue how to play deep at the start.

Picked up on a few things that I need to work on, not least shoving ranges from UTG to UTG+3 in full ring. This is due to learning to play on Sky Poker, where everything is 6-Max, and being relatively inexperienced when it comes to full ring. Several times in both the Sunday Storm, SCOOP, and $16.50 Turbo, I found myself with 15-20bbs, a mediocre hand, and not having a clue what to do with it. This ended up being my downfall in both SCOOP 22-L, and the Sunday Storm.

Mincashed in the SCOOP, but could've been so much better if I knew how to play 9 handed.

Results 19th May
Today: +£56.52, -$8.05
This month: £1,072.95, +1 SPT Seat, +$2.70
Sky Poker Points: 3,912/10,000 (= £58.68 rakeback)
AJR14

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2013, 12:40:31 PM »

Played some cash over the last few days, nothing much of interest to report so haven't posted. There's been hardly any 30NL action on Sky (3-4 tables max) and attempts to start tables have often been in vain, so began adding the occasional 50NL table in recently. I don't feel out of my depth against these players, which is a good thing. Planning to build up my roll before I actually move up to 50NL though as I like to be over-rolled for whatever level I'm playing.

Results 17th May
Today: +£20.82
This month: £1,006.03, +1 SPT Seat, +$10.50
Sky Poker Points: 3,513/10,000 (= £52.68 rakeback)

Results 18th May
Today: +£10.40, +$0.25
This month: £1,016.43, +1 SPT Seat, +$10.75
Sky Poker Points: 3,757/10,000 (= £56.36 rakeback)

Haven't played much on 'Stars recently, but will be playing Storm and SCOOP 22-L (and the Bigger $16.50 Turbo but I'm already out of that as I lost a flip) today alongside whatever I end up playing on Sky tonight.

Hi Andy.

Saturday Night got quite busy for 30nl. Think there was 2 full when i started and i managed to get 6 more going in 10 minutes. Filled up really quick, so there are a lot of players who will play 30nl just no idea why they dont play there a lot of the time. I havent seen 30nl like that for a while but then Sunday went back to hardly any tables running. So frustrating! I hope it starts to pick up soon.   

Once a thing's been done, it's been done. So why all this nostalgia? I mean, for the 60s and 70s, you know, looking backwards for inspiration, copying the past. How's that rock 'n' roll? Do something of your own. Start something new. Live your life now.
- John Lennon
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2013, 01:53:57 PM »

Hellllllo!

Been catching up on this diary, gotta say i'm very impressed with your work ethic and determination, quite impressive amount of discipline so far lets hope it holds as it looks like you have a good temperament for all this Smiley

Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2013, 05:14:27 AM »

21st May

Didn't play yesterday as my sleep pattern is completely screwed and I woke up at about 10pm.

Didn't do a Monday update after my session either - It was a really tilting hour or so. Kept running top two pair into straights, nut straight into flushes, flopped set into straights, etc. A hand where I overbet shoved the river with the nuts against a fishy opponent (who had two pair and no fold button) kept the damage to just a couple of buy-ins. Also tilt spewed a buy-in at the end of the session with TT v AA, opponent flatted my 4bet pre and I played the hand crap after that.

I've had 5 losing days so far this month, 3 of those less than £10. The other two were this one, and a -£117 earlier in the month. In both instances I didn't play the next day. This is something I need to work on, although not really sure where to start. Will have to have a look through both "Mental Game of Poker" books. Still haven't got around to finishing the second one yet anyway. :/

Looking at 600 Poker Points a day now to reach my target and get into Priority Club next month. Have made it tough for myself by not playing enough at times this month, but it's still achievable. There's also a cash promotion, similar to the SnG one earlier this month, which should result in more volume. Doubt I'll be able to bink it as there's a few guys who will be playing a ridiculous amount of tables for 12+ hours a day, but I should be able to get into the top 20 and win myself a few quid extra.

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-promotions/the-big-deal

As it's based on the number of hands that you are dealt into, I expect to see a lot of people folding and waiting for Kings and Aces, which wasn't uncommon back in the day before Sky Poker had weighted contribution. Looking forward to opening the button with   against people playing dozens of tables and not adapting Smiley

Results 20th May
Today: -£59.40
This month: £1,012.55, +1 SPT Seat, +$2.70
Sky Poker Points: 4,016/10,000 (= £60.24 rakeback)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:53:30 AM by Evilpengwinz » Logged
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2013, 05:27:04 AM »

Hi Andy.

Saturday Night got quite busy for 30nl. Think there was 2 full when i started and i managed to get 6 more going in 10 minutes. Filled up really quick, so there are a lot of players who will play 30nl just no idea why they dont play there a lot of the time. I havent seen 30nl like that for a while but then Sunday went back to hardly any tables running. So frustrating! I hope it starts to pick up soon.   

There's usually a decent amount of games running at the weekends, especially Friday and Saturday nights. There was a Friday night a couple of weeks ago where I managed to get 12 tables running at 30NL. It's a shame that only a couple of tables usually run during the week and you have to play 30NL with either 20NL or 50NL tables at the same time.
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2013, 05:52:52 AM »

Hellllllo!

Been catching up on this diary, gotta say i'm very impressed with your work ethic and determination, quite impressive amount of discipline so far lets hope it holds as it looks like you have a good temperament for all this Smiley

Thanks Smiley There's still lots of things I need to work on though, especially volume and longer sessions. Might do a cash hand counter next month then people can lol at how little I play Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: