blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 04:26:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272772 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Food/Cooking thread
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Food/Cooking thread  (Read 30334 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2013, 12:42:01 AM »

Order a Pad kra pao moo woodsey! One of my favourites.

Where abouts are you atm?

lol after 15secs of thinking just realised that is what I had last night and is in the pic, just the chicken version. I just write it how I hear it as 'kapow' lol

In Koh Samet right now which is ok for 2 or 3 days, but not on a par with the south for beaches. Heading up to near Khon Kaen tomorrow  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:41:20 AM by Woodsey » Logged
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 03, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »

Most people will have had green and probably a red Thai curry, however the best Thai curry imo is the Massaman curry. It's on UK menus the odd time but deffo not standard.

It's basically a curry with the predominant flavours being peanut and coconut, it you think satay sauce with more coconut flavour and a blast of chilli then you are on the right lines. I've been keeping my eye out for one the last week, but as its a southern regional dish you don't even get it everywhere here.

Click to see full-size image.

exstream

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 03, 2013, 05:03:39 PM »

First time trying samphire, didn't like.
Chicken stuffed with spinach/mozarella, wrapped in serrano ham. Garlic and rosemary roasties. White wine sauce.
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2013, 05:52:43 PM »

Lol, I didn't even put my pic up!
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2013, 06:26:43 PM »

Came 4th will do mini trip report when indoors in morning.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 04, 2013, 03:02:16 PM »

Thai food has a pretty good rep on the whole, although its fair to say only a small proportion of it hits Thai restaurants in the UK, not surprisingly its the stuff that is palatable to us.

There is also a fair amount that is pretty minging to us. This is som tam which is pretty much a staple here, it's basically a salad made up from unripe Papaya and there are a bunch of regional variations of it. This one is som tam Laos that is eaten in eastern Thailand and Laos, I've tried it a few times and have yet to keep a spoonful down, it's probably the hottest thing I have ever eaten and the sauce is a mix of fish sauce which is disgusting if its strong (which it is in this dish) and chilli. They also have a version served with pickled crab in this region which is equally minging. In Bangkok they eat a version made with peanuts (som tam Thai) which has a much lighter sauce and is just about palatable.

The funniest thing is watching the locals eat this, even they are sweating their bollocks off eating but claim to be enjoying it, I'm not convinced  Cheesy

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 04, 2013, 06:27:55 PM »

Thai food has a pretty good rep on the whole, although its fair to say only a small proportion of it hits Thai restaurants in the UK, not surprisingly its the stuff that is palatable to us.

There is also a fair amount that is pretty minging to us. This is som tam which is pretty much a staple here, it's basically a salad made up from unripe Papaya and there are a bunch of regional variations of it. This one is som tam Laos that is eaten in eastern Thailand and Laos, I've tried it a few times and have yet to keep a spoonful down, it's probably the hottest thing I have ever eaten and the sauce is a mix of fish sauce which is disgusting if its strong (which it is in this dish) and chilli. They also have a version served with pickled crab in this region which is equally minging. In Bangkok they eat a version made with peanuts (som tam Thai) which has a much lighter sauce and is just about palatable.

The funniest thing is watching the locals eat this, even they are sweating their bollocks off eating but claim to be enjoying it, I'm not convinced  Cheesy

I love Som Tam so much (think it is the version with the peanuts I have eaten...was in Bangkok).  Funny even now I crave it some times.  Given the breadth of stuff you have eaten on this trip I am pretty surprised you don't like it although I guess it could be an acquired taste.

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 04, 2013, 08:52:20 PM »

When my gf eats Som Tam Woodrow it's got a hell of a lot more red than green in it! I usually regret when I try half the stuff she eats, especially if we've forgotten to put waters in the fridge.

But the Isaan people fkin love their spice. The southerners still love spicy but not as much. Glad you're posting about foods - makes me feel like a right lazy git though having been here 2 years and not posted any of this!

Anyway, pic of the Thai dish you're touring around with. What's her name?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2013, 02:29:35 AM »

I love Som Tam so much (think it is the version with the peanuts I have eaten...was in Bangkok).  Funny even now I crave it some times.  Given the breadth of stuff you have eaten on this trip I am pretty surprised you don't like it although I guess it could be an acquired taste.

To be honest I've only tried the Peanut/Bangkok variant once so don't have much of a sample size, but i know other westerners like it so maybe i should make an effort to try it again, its something I would never have considered ordering myself. I don't know a single foreigner that has eaten and said they like the variant I posted above, even the Thais in other parts of Thailand often don't like this version.

Looks are probably deceiving as far as the variety of food I eat here, I will try anything once, but I mostly order the same 10 or so dishes for myself as there is nothing worse that going to a place to eat and ordering a random dish I can't eat. Most of my experimentation is basically nicking a spoonful from any locals I'm eating with.  Wink

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 03:38:02 AM by Woodsey » Logged
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2013, 02:39:51 AM »

When my gf eats Som Tam Woodrow it's got a hell of a lot more red than green in it! I usually regret when I try half the stuff she eats, especially if we've forgotten to put waters in the fridge.

But the Isaan people fkin love their spice. The southerners still love spicy but not as much. Glad you're posting about foods - makes me feel like a right lazy git though having been here 2 years and not posted any of this!

Anyway, pic of the Thai dish you're touring around with. What's her name?

A midget by the name of Nok  Cheesy

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2013, 08:43:13 AM »

One thing I love Woodsey, if done right is 'Pad Pak Meang Kung Siep'. See if Nok recognises what I'm trying to say and then order one!

@GreekStein on twitter.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2013, 09:07:48 AM »

One thing I love Woodsey, if done right is 'Pad Pak Meang Kung Siep'. See if Nok recognises what I'm trying to say and then order one!

She not sure what it is and thinks its probably 'south food' mate.

She is going to order some 'suki' tonight and wants me to try that, in before all the filth references  Cheesy. I shall report back on what it is, some vegetable dish she likes apparently.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:35:28 AM by Woodsey » Logged
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2013, 10:14:55 AM »

She is going to order some 'suki' tonight and wants me to try that, in before all the filth references  Cheesy. I shall report back on what it is, some vegetable dish she likes apparently.

Yes it is southern food, but it's gooooood!

Suki is nice - might not look great in pics but sure you'll enjoy it.

Where do u head to next? Assume you won't be in Phuket at any point?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 05, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »

Not this trip mate, staying around here until Tues and then heading back home. It's actually a laugh up here in the sticks, I like being the only farang around, think I've seen 2 others all week  Smiley
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 05, 2013, 03:23:42 PM »

Suki. It's was quite nice, think I would have chosen a less fishy version myself, but it was still ok.

Standard Pad Thai, this restaurant is my fav place for this.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: