blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:11:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  $1/2 PLO deep, bricking the river
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: $1/2 PLO deep, bricking the river  (Read 2175 times)
wazz

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2013, 01:37:51 PM »

Not many hands have gone to s/d and this is fairly early on, villain has 3b a couple of times and I've folded or called, when I've called it hasn't gone to s/d.

This deep and against some 3betting so wide I like to have a fairly wide 4b range pre that includes most AAxx, good KKxx, other good broadway hands and some ds rundowns, so I don't pot it, also in the interests of giving me more maneuvrability otb.

Unsure as to which turns I barrel but felt my flop bet was +ev before I consider that, as he can only really c/r if he's got tptk+nfd or better and will be calling and allowing me to spike something or barrelling some turns.

PokerStars Hand #98887266431:  Omaha Pot Limit ($1/$2 USD) - 2013/05/21 10:49:11 WET [2013/05/21 5:49:11 ET]
Table 'Ludovica' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 5: Black_Wooolf ($507.15 in chips)
Seat 9: wazzbot ($492.35 in chips)
wazzbot: posts small blind $1
Black_Wooolf: posts big blind $2
Black_Wooolf: posts the ante $0.40
wazzbot: posts the ante $0.40
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to wazzbot [ ]
wazzbot: raises $4.80 to $6.80
Black_Wooolf: raises $14.40 to $21.20
wazzbot: raises $32.80 to $54
Black_Wooolf: calls $32.80
*** FLOP *** [ ]
Black_Wooolf: checks
wazzbot: bets $66
Black_Wooolf: calls $66
*** TURN *** [ ] []
wazzbot: bets $174
Black_Wooolf: calls $174
*** RIVER *** [ ] []
wazzbot: bets $197.95 and is all-in
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 01:44:32 PM »

I'll bite, as this play is unfamiliar territory to me.

We had a wet flop, a wetter turn and a bricky river. What makes us think villain will fold and what range of hands will villain fold/call with?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »

wp imo, I think river is a clear jam

wazz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 02:44:11 PM »

I'll bite, as this play is unfamiliar territory to me.

We had a wet flop, a wetter turn and a bricky river. What makes us think villain will fold and what range of hands will villain fold/call with?

I'm repping AAxx and sometimes KKxx pretty hard with preflop and would definitely jam those for value on the river when all the draws have missed and the turn card paired, and I could also feasibly have 9x myself.

Flop c-bet seems mandatory as his 3b pre is weighted towards higher cards; turn is most questionable but imo he needs 2p+ to jam.
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 02:44:32 PM »

Yeah I like the river jam.

Tal, think about what villain likely has when he check-calls the flop and turn on this board. If he had a hand with decent showdown value then he is likely to check-raise jam the turn due to the texture of the board and the remaining stack sizes (he'd never expect hero to be bet-folding due to hero's turn sizing and the texture of the board). For example, if villain had something like two pair or KKxx with hearts then he'd almost always jam the turn. When he check-calls twice it looks very much like he has a big draw with little to no showdown value.

Hero's play is perfectly consistent with having AAxx, plus he can also have various 9xxx hands too. It is very unlikely that villain is going to make some hero call if he has something like a random 8 in his hand to go with his NFD/wrap or whatever draw he likely has.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 02:57:37 PM by Honeybadger » Logged
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 02:47:32 PM »

sexy hand. wp.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 02:56:11 PM »

Yeah I like the river jam.

Tal, think about what villain likely has when he check-calls the flop and turn on this board. If he had a hand with decent showdown value then he is likely to check-raise jam the turn due to the texture of the board and the remaining stack sizes (he'd never expect hero to be bet-folding due to hero's turn sizing and the texture of the board). For example, if villain had something like KKxx with hearts then he'd almost always jam the turn. When he check-calls twice it looks very much like he has a big draw with little to no showdown value.

Hero's play is perfectly consistent with having AAxx, plus he can also have various 9xxx hands too. It is very unlikely that villain is going to make some hero call if he has something like a random 8 in his hand to go with his NFD/wrap or whatever draw he likely has.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 09:22:05 PM »

if we decide to bet the flop, and don't get raised then we really should be giving him the bullets, speshly on this river when our range is stronger than his but our actual hand almost certainly loses.

Not a great c-bet but so many good turn cards I think we just have to bet, wp imo

wazz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 10:20:17 AM »

How is sizing?
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 11:32:15 AM »

if we decide to bet the flop, and don't get raised then we really should be giving him the bullets, speshly on this river when our range is stronger than his but our actual hand almost certainly loses.

Not a great c-bet but so many good turn cards I think we just have to bet, wp imo

how much dynamic do we need to have before our default line is 'right, get the barrells out because he didn't raise flop'?
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 02:35:25 PM »

well when we know more about his stylee then we can make a few more assumptions on his clop range, but in theory he should be chk/calling some very strong hands as well as it stops us doing this to him, I think when readless we can assume he prolly WONT chk/call his best hands OTF + also he won't know we're this barrel happy so by the run out our hand is just stronger than his so we can keep betting, when we see his flop chk/call range include some stronger hands then our turn decision becomes a lot closer.

We can still bluff these runouts even against a stronger turn range but we need to watch the frequencies very carefully and preferably have a blocker of some description.

We have to be shoving AA+KK for value on the river though or this play won't work, i think thats a pretty easy value shove anyway given the action.

Sizing all looks fine, we have to go big OTT because it needs to look like we're not folding to a jam, once we've B/F that spot once or twice then you could size smaller with your whole range but history-less I think we need to be bigger. Means you'll get called slightly more often OTR, like I can't see him folding KK OTR as it's played (if he has KK+hearts he's played it pretty well imo)but we have zero hand so we dont need him to fold KK to make it a good triple.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: