blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:36:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Travel and Poker
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Travel and Poker  (Read 2365 times)
JoadDoCarmo
Probation

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2013, 09:49:22 AM »

Hi hope I put this in right place. New here and trying to get help/tips, I'm thinking of going traveling but would like to go where it is cheep but I can still play poker online to make money. Just now getting ideas so any help great. Thanks!
Rupert
:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:18:40 AM »

thailand mexico costa rica canada (less cheap)

JoadDoCarmo
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:27:02 AM »

Thanks you ever been to any of them, I think Canda could be nice but expensive right?
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:30:55 AM »

You need to think about stuff like Internet reliability and time zones too in each of the places you consider. If your an mtt player especially, being in the Americas you can play a euro mtt schedule during the day, but if your out east in Asia you would be playing it through the night, will affect your lifestyle massively.
JoadDoCarmo
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 10:38:32 AM »

Ahh yes your right Woodsey, any place you know with good internet? Singapore is good right? Is it expensive thogh?
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 10:52:33 AM »

Ahh yes your right Woodsey, any place you know with good internet? Singapore is good right? Is it expensive thogh?

Broadly speaking the more advanced the country the better the Internet, and yes Singapore is expensive. Not sure about living there, I've only visited for short stints and I was bored of it pretty quickly. Many start in Thailand and work their way from there, lots of cheap flights to neighbouring countries to explore. Greekstein and Amatay can probably tell you more about Internet there for poker purposes, but it's ok from my experience although I haven't played much poker while there. In many of these countries I know many get a mobile Internet stick for back up.

The 2 countries in that region I thought Internet was crap and probably no good for poker was Burma and Laos, otherwise I'm sure you will be ok.
claypole

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 10:59:41 AM »

Singapore is joke expensive...especially alcohol. I'd say prob most expensive city in world alongside Oz from  a UK GBP perspective. Not an option.
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 11:09:15 AM »

I think Thailand will be the best place . Singapore are very very expensive ( was born there )..
Thailand food and standard of living are very cheap . Nice country with lots if nice holiday places to visit . If u are single , then defo Thailand because cheap  Hooker and He/She pros . Suggestions only . :-)
claypole

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 12:02:49 PM »

I would throw the Phillipines and Cebu into the equation and Bali....got to be honest enjoyed them as much as Thailand which is the original nut option; I think Woodseys point about timing is spot on tho.  Sure Amatay fish will give a more dteailed response, however if playing MTTs he did talk to me a lot while we were away about timing of his schedule being pretty bad from a social life / living perspective with the plus 8 hrs and as Woodsey said Central America / Canada pretty much the nut option for treating it as a more 9-5 job

However, I'd sacrifice a shorter weak and a few all nighters for the women in Asia ainec
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 12:10:56 PM »

I would throw the Phillipines and Cebu into the equation and Bali....got to be honest enjoyed them as much as Thailand which is the original nut option; I think Woodseys point about timing is spot on tho.  Sure Amatay fish will give a more dteailed response, however if playing MTTs he did talk to me a lot while we were away about timing of his schedule being pretty bad from a social life / living perspective with the plus 8 hrs and as Woodsey said Central America / Canada pretty much the nut option for treating it as a more 9-5 job

However, I'd sacrifice a shorter weak and a few all nighters for the women in Asia ainec

I don't think Phils is a good option first up unless he has traveled a fair bit before, bit rough and ready for a noob imo. Agree Cebu is probably the best spot though from where I have seen. Probs start in Thailand is best option and ease his way in from there depending on which way the wind blows and what he fancies.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:15:24 PM by Woodsey » Logged
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 06:45:16 PM »

My experience with travelling and poker, is that spend all your time travelling and no time playing poker. Of course if your a re talking about basing yourself somewhere Thailand seems to be the nut option, if you are moving from place to place in general the Internet is too shitty for grinding in a lot of places and there is awesome new place out the door to see.

I think Australia is the nut low place for this, very expensive and there Internet is terrible for a 1st world country.
shipitonetime

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 12:46:06 AM »

I'm staying in Rosarito, Mexico right now and its got a big community of u.s grinders, its relatively cheap to live out here, weather is good and the food is excellent. Plus its only 30 mins away from the u.s border. Recommended!
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 12:50:49 AM »

I'm staying in Rosarito, Mexico right now and its got a big community of u.s grinders, its relatively cheap to live out here, weather is good and the food is excellent. Plus its only 30 mins away from the u.s border. Recommended!

Interesting, never heard of that place, what can you tell us? I'm interested in general as a tourist as Mexico is a place on my list, as well as for the poker guys on here.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:56:47 AM by Woodsey » Logged
Amatay

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 01:50:35 AM »

Myself and Cos (Greekstein) have experienced living in Thailand whilst playing Poker for a living. Here's an article Poker Player Magazine published about us Smiley

http://www.pokerplayer.co.uk/news/features/12364/leave_it_all_behind.html

There's a great community of Poker players who live in Thailand, basing themselves in either Phuket, Bangkok or Chang Mai. Cos is currently still living in Phuket as i once did. I know the little fish absolutely loves it there, he's made it his home and has made some good friends out there. I preferred to travel around more and have seen alot of Asia and various other countries around the world. I agree with Longy thou in that its hard to actually settle and grind if you moving about and loving life in different places all the time. If you're an MTT grinder then i found the time difference in Thailand to basically be the nut worst. You basically have to play most of the night which i found quite demoralising at times. Having said that i'm not excactly the most disciplined of grinders Smiley

I've been told that there are also some great communities in Costa Rica and Mexico which timezone wise is a much better option. I'm considering Costa Rica for a bit early next year  Cool
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:52:30 AM by Amatay » Logged

There is no better feeling than rocking up in a city for the first time, with nowhere to stay and everything new - so liberating.
dakky

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 12:03:57 AM »

Costa rica is good but I hated the capital, though there is some soft as you like live pokers there (or was in 2008)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: