blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:48:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Poker Coaches?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poker Coaches?  (Read 7102 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2013, 02:37:57 PM »

I don't personally want to wade in on the Marc debate but its not harsh at all to mention that. If people are vouching for someone for what is essentially a business transaction they should also give full disclosure on any causes for concern.

Not talking about Marc specifically here, just poker in general.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2013, 02:44:55 PM »

I don't personally want to wade in on the Marc debate but its not harsh at all to mention that. If people are vouching for someone for what is essentially a business transaction they should also give full disclosure on any causes for concern.

Not talking about Marc specifically here, just poker in general.

You shouldn't go into anything with your eyes closed, especially when you're handing over money.

Some reputations have been heavily tarnished in the last year or so. Doesn't mean they won't do a good job. Doesn't mean their history shouldn't be borne in mind when deciding whether to employ their services.

I imagine googling a prospective coach's name would give you a fair bit of background.

OP was asking for advice. Seems like he has a range of it now.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »

@OP: In my experience, the best coaches (not just in a poker context) will teach you how you want/need to be taught. My best advice is to contact a few and get a feel for what you want out of it and what they each offer.

Coaching is a lot harder than teaching for the majority of people; it is a different skillset entirely. Choose wisely.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2013, 04:20:51 PM »

I have room for a few more students.

Rates on application.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Da Bookie

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »

Loving this thread :]
Magic817

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2013, 04:32:27 PM »

I have room for a few more students.

Rates on application.

Can anyone vouch for you?
treefella

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2013, 02:15:55 AM »

Loving this thread :]
happy to give a few video razz lessons Mike before you head out to Sin City 
JK

Probably the worst player here

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2013, 02:17:09 AM »

EchoEllis, incase you didnt get the information you wanted, basically this:

Railtard1 (Marc Wright) is a v v good coach from what I've heard. Hes also one of the top UK pro's. Marc has had some problems fairly recently (you can find the full thread on here).

TL900 (Tom Langley) is also an excellent player, who voices his thought processes very well. He has a video up for Pokerstrategy, if you're interested in asking Tom, I'd advise you find and watch this first, as it will give you more of an insight into him as a coach.

Stato_1 (Andrew Hulme) is absolutely tearing up the online scene atm. Personally have learnt an absolute ton from this absolute ton of a man. I have no idea if he wants to coach though.

As people have said, do a bit of research. There will be plenty of people online that are v good coaches, but the way they explain things may not suit you. Its all about how you learn best.
railtard1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2013, 02:46:50 AM »

EchoEllis, incase you didnt get the information you wanted, basically this:

Railtard1 (Marc Wright) is a v v good coach from what I've heard. Hes also one of the top UK pro's. Marc has had some problems fairly recently (you can find the full thread on here).

TL900 (Tom Langley) is also an excellent player, who voices his thought processes very well. He has a video up for Pokerstrategy, if you're interested in asking Tom, I'd advise you find and watch this first, as it will give you more of an insight into him as a coach.

Stato_1 (Andrew Hulme) is absolutely tearing up the online scene atm. Personally have learnt an absolute ton from this absolute ton of a man. I have no idea if he wants to coach though.

As people have said, do a bit of research. There will be plenty of people online that are v good coaches, but the way they explain things may not suit you. Its all about how you learn best.

Have done coaching on and off for maybe 2 years, have never had a single complaint / had someone that wasnt happy by the end of our partnership (or at least they havnt said so).
Yeh have a thread on blonde which was commented on recently, but the thread was about a dispute over a swapped % that was made in early 2012, so wasnt actually a recent issue, and also it has no bearing on my ability to coach anyone imo.
As for my "poker CV", i have won every comp with a buyin $22 or greater on pokerstars on there normal schedule (week days and weekends), including $100r 7 times, 320 6max 3 times, 265ko maybe 4 times and big 109 and big 162 3 or 4 times each. I have won 2 SCOOP events, finalled 2 WCOOP events, won the super tuesday and finalled it on an additional 5 occasions aswell. Live isnt as good tho but ive finalled an EPT from the 3 i have played and have chopped a GUKPT also. Think im maybe top 5 biggest winners in the UK in past 3 years online. I was number 1 on pocket fives in the UK toward the end of 2012.
As for the other 2 players mentioned, i think its really unfair for you to mention my thread on blonde, but not to mention tl900's thread on blonde, as his is more recent, and more relevant. I dont know much about toms game though, i know he is a small winner on stars, but have no idea of his stats and results elsewhere.
As for stato, he has broken into the top 10 in the UK now imo. Really clever, calculated mtt player who changes gears really well and doesnt level himself like some mtt players do, so definately think about him as an option if he is doing coaching now (dont know if he is, just saw someone mentioned him ITT).

Gl with whatever u decide, my advice would be against using online video's tho as they wont do anything specific for you. When looking for a coach you need to find someone who can help with your specific needs. Also make sure your time is used well, i.e make sure you prepare everything before the session starts as obtaining hand histories / loading to a replayer / downloading teamviewer are all things that can take up a decent amount of the time you are paying for.
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2013, 02:58:26 AM »

I'm not Mark's biggest fan, but don't know how any of you can comment on him, and not Tom, nothing personal about any of these ppl btw, but his online staking thread did not end well and no one has mentioned it, yet attack attack railtard. At the end of the day, should be fair, not just sucking up to ppl who are your mates, or who you like better.

Both imo are great players, but if someone wants to derail about stuff that is not relevant on a'coaching' thread then at least name all players who have had complicated arrangements.

Scammer this Scammer that, it's just a joke tbh.
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2013, 03:03:24 AM »

And fwiw there is a icon called google, so one only needs to type in the person's name and such threads would come up.

No one is 'vouching' for Mark, IMHO they are just saying he is a sicko player, which he is and that's it. No one puts a gun to anyone's head and say's you HAVE to get coaching off him or anybody for that matter.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2013, 03:08:06 AM »

Just because I like him and he will be a good rate, dan carter is also good. Definitely a better rep than some mentioned.

Shit at werewolf tho
TL900

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2013, 03:17:25 AM »

Marc ainec obv, guys a beast.

edit : As for mentioning threads, yeah I fucked up and I owe people money as does Marc and people are unfairly attacking him and not me. For numerous reasons I wouldnt want to get involved in anything like formal coaching until my rep has been restored/become less damaged. Nor do I think I am qualified enough to be a "paid 1on1 coach" (as in poker resume) AND I haven't done anything like that before and wouldn't know where to begin really, speak to Marc or Stato imo they will be much better than me in that department and are undoubtedly better players than I am.

I post alot of PHA both on other peoples hands and some of my own, I will happily discuss hands with anyone who will listen so you are more than welcome to post some hands to me and I will try and give my feedback on them.

gl, Tom
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:36:15 AM by TL900 » Logged

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2013, 03:32:52 AM »

@OP: In my experience, the best coaches (not just in a poker context) will teach you how you want/need to be taught. My best advice is to contact a few and get a feel for what you want out of it and what they each offer.

Coaching is a lot harder than teaching for the majority of people; it is a different skillset entirely. Choose wisely.

In the days I used to be good at hu sngs someone offered me $500 per hour to coach them.

I could hardly turn that down, but after 3 or 4 sessions it just became patently obvious I am a terrible teacher.

I just couldn't put into words concepts that seemed obvious to me.

Coaching is v v tough.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2013, 03:55:13 AM »

Are you serious Tom? People have made valid points to a NEW member of the forum. We have a right to help people in the same village to let them know of certain people's inadequacies.

If people ask you for recommendation of a curry house I'm sure you'd tell them the truth etc etc.

You can't ignore the truth
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: