blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:29:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Syria
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Syria  (Read 7252 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2013, 10:04:41 AM »

So the US have decided to up their involvement by providing more arms to the opposition/rebels in light of the evidence that the government have used chemical weapons on its people.

Well over 100,000 have been killed in this civil war, and hundreds of thousands made homeless and fleeing as refugees to neighbouring countries.

Should the west get involved by providing weapons, or should they intervene with an actual presence of troops?  We intervened in Afghanistan, Iraq and Sierra Leone.  We didn't with Rwanda, and for years we didn't intervene in Bosnia (whilst Bosnians were being slaughtered by Serbian forces).  What makes one civil war different to another in terms of whether the west intervene.  The fact that the Russians are on the side of the government in Syria is probably a major factor as well. 

I've heard 'expert' commentators say that this uprising is merely part of a larger 'war' that is coming between Sunni and Shia across the whole of the Middle East.  Saudi Arabia and Qatar are funding the war, yet we don't seem to be doing anything as far as they're concerned.

When I say 'we' I mean the UK, the US, the UN and the West in general.  Obviously, these wars affect us, and there's also the 'duty' to protect the innocent people in Syria and elsewhere from being slaughtered. Do we sit back and watch them die, or do we intervene?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:28:54 AM »

Personally I think we should concentrate on getting the UK sorted out first but I won't be complaining whatever happens.

You can talk about this stuff 'til you're blue in the face but it won't change a thing.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 11:49:47 AM »

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »

part of a larger 'war' that is coming between Sunni and Shia across the whole of the Middle East. 

stand well back

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 12:11:41 PM »

Hezbollah is the militia currently winning the war back for Assad's "government" since they entered the war in Syria a few months ago, and they are substantially backed by Iran.

Any Western intervention in what is perceived to be the Sunni v's Shia confrontation could have dire cosequences.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
TommyD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 12:52:22 PM »

While the movie 'Charlie Wilson's War' is mostly Tom Hanks fluff, the actual story of Charlie Wilson and the Soviet/Afghan war is very interesting and shows the positives and the disastrous negatives of funding rebel forces in a foreign state, especially if you pull the funding of the infrastructure, education, sanitation, food, shelter etc and just throw money at people who want guns, power and to rule.  We'll probably make the same mistakes yet again here.  As always.  When media attention goes away from a problem it doesn't mean the problem isn't there, but Western governments don't see poll points in unexposed tragedy.

I've heard 'expert' commentators say that this uprising is merely part of a larger 'war' that is coming between Sunni and Shia across the whole of the Middle East.  Saudi Arabia and Qatar are funding the war, yet we don't seem to be doing anything as far as they're concerned.

The first part I can see being true.  It's been coming for a while.  Obviously religion and creed is being used on both sides by select people who want power and control, seeing the deaths of others as needed collateral damage.  It has been the way for millennia.

The second part does fascinate me.  The West seem desperate to not offend at least four Middle East and Asian countries (Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Israel and obviously China).  For at least the first three there are clear links to influential people in those countries and to the top end of US Government past and present.

I don't think any of the Western countries, even if we all pulled together (which has proven to be a political impossibility historically and I see no sign that can change) have the resources to effect a full and positive change all the way through to the end game.  Money, tanks and possibly troops will be thrown at the problem.  Another ten to the penny leader will take over, be declared the country's saviour.  The problem will be announced fixed.  Credit will be claimed.  And the real problems will still be there and the innocent people will still be fucked, just a postponed fucked.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 02:31:47 PM »

religion lol
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 04:17:46 PM »

We need to stay the f*ck out of this. Its Shias v Sunnis again. Getting in the middle of it is akin to a do gooder getting in the middle of a vicious husband/wife argument where they both turn round n have a go at the do gooder.

I also like to think if the rats metaphor from Skyfall. Leave em to it and mop up the pieces when they're done I say.

Any excuse to avoid work  Roll Eyes  Grin
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 06:05:22 PM »

We need to stay the f*ck out of this. Its Shias v Sunnis again. Getting in the middle of it is akin to a do gooder getting in the middle of a vicious husband/wife argument where they both turn round n have a go at the do gooder.

I also like to think if the rats metaphor from Skyfall. Leave em to it and mop up the pieces when they're done I say.

...and the innocent people being slaughtered?  Same as what happened in Rwanda and Bosnia for several years before we got involved.

Not saying the answer is for military intervention by the West, but standing by and watching the murder of innocent men, women and children isn't right, is it?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
TommyD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 08:14:30 PM »

...and the innocent people being slaughtered?  Same as what happened in Rwanda and Bosnia for several years before we got involved.

Not saying the answer is for military intervention by the West, but standing by and watching the murder of innocent men, women and children isn't right, is it?

This.  You can also can Cambodia and Zimbabwe to that list IMO.  The problem isn't intervening, it's intervening in the wrong way.  To ensure stability in a foreign country it requires vast amount of investment in the infrastructure, resources, troops, a plan to be counted in decades rather than years and a combination of wisdom and dumb luck to find a just, fair and capable provision government.  The West have the resources, but lack the cooperation or inclination to do any of this.
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 10:03:49 PM »

I really would like to see what geo thinks on this ?

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 10:34:01 PM »

Lee, Assad is backed by extremists. His regime was also ridiculously over the top in terms of how they dealt with the protests in the early days. Hardly a moderate response bombing civilian neighbourhoods.

Using chemical weapons doesn't really change things, but it does show a lack of humanity in no uncertain terms.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 10:41:22 PM »

Obv Assad is a bellend, but the rebels have many arseholes as well.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 10:42:35 PM »

Obv Assad is a bellend, but the rebels have many arseholes as well.

Agreed. Which is why arming them is surely the nut worst strategy?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: