blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:22:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273104 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Crystal Palace FC Thread + Premiership Palaver
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crystal Palace FC Thread + Premiership Palaver  (Read 61449 times)
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: October 23, 2013, 10:35:49 PM »

di canio being appointed in the morning i hear.

Would be close to tears if that happened.

47 on betfair suggest nobody else has been told or it is likely to happen as me shag jennifer lopez tommorow

Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 23, 2013, 10:37:58 PM »

Views on Pulis please? He has been touted as bookies favourite?
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 23, 2013, 10:39:42 PM »

47 on betfair suggest nobody else has been told or it is likely to happen as me shag jennifer lopez tommorow

HP - if you are 46-1 to shag Jennifer Lopez tomorrow then I am going to have to reimagine what you look like ;-)

As for Holloway I would love him at Boro.  He is an absolutely top quality manager.

rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 23, 2013, 10:40:32 PM »

What was Holloway's overall record in charge of Palace?

Ant, your dedication to Palace is to be marvelled at but I have seen you use the phrase 'we are good enough to stay up' or similar on a few occasions. What is that based on? From my perspective it should be based on comparing the absolute best performance each team could have and working out whether there are three teams worse. I don't think there are.

I have a lot of hope for my team obviously, but there is logic there and it isn't all faith. Pointing to last year. I have been a regular on this forum since the start of 2011, didn't mention a word about Palace until late 2012 when I saw something special and the capability to go up. Put my money where my mouth was, put £200 on at 11/1 and it came in nicely. We had Zaha/Bolasie/Murray and for me we had the two best wingers in the league and the best striker and thought it was enough to see us up, and despite a rocky road it just about was.

This year though, it is a lot tougher to see how we could stay up, but there has been pockets of performances that were good and it is all about elongating those. Like you have mentioned, would these best performances be better than 3 other team's best performances, you don't think they are, I think you are right as well, but I see the potential. Potential that can be unlocked quickly. Something some of the play that I have seen that calms me.

As I have said I think it is a mental problem at Palace which Holloway has just admitted he lost control of. A major reason to him leaving was in fact that second half performance on Monday. It cried of a team that had no self belief, and Holloway admitted he didn't know how to change that. He also admitted to bringing in too many too quickly and getting rid of the core that brought us up, and getting rid of that energy that was crucial to that.

Would say one big part in this is dropping players like Garvan. He was crucial to a lot of what we did last year and then was harshly left out of our 25 man squad. Garvan prophesied on twitter that day he would be at the club longer than Holloway and he has been proven correct a lot earlier than I thought. I think for him to even say that, as a pretty smart young man he is, shows he was gauging that Holloway was losing the players, and it has showed this season.

Generally I think we have the capability here to play good football, enough to keep us up, we just need that togetherness and grit, that Holloway couldn't instill. Hopefully someone else will. I want Pulis for his great record at Stoke. If he does anything similar with us, as he did with them I would be happy. Pulis did disillusion a lot of fans there though with his style of football, but in terms of stabilising this club, he is probably our man. But I really am out of my depth talking about Pulis, my knowledge of prior Premierleague campaigns is a little ropey.

And Rinswun, I hope this didn't come across as me taking anything personally, as it didn't, I thank you for your kind comment on my support of the club.

Certainly didn't come across as you taking it personally at all and my original question wasn't meant as a shot, I was genuinely interested as to where the faith was coming from (other than typical football fan faith!). I appreciate your posts as they are always well considered and well constructed. I wish Palace luck, will be a long road ahead. I genuinely hope they don't appointed Di Canio though!

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 23, 2013, 10:41:54 PM »

What was Holloway's overall record in charge of Palace?

Ant, your dedication to Palace is to be marvelled at but I have seen you use the phrase 'we are good enough to stay up' or similar on a few occasions. What is that based on? From my perspective it should be based on comparing the absolute best performance each team could have and working out whether there are three teams worse. I don't think there are.

I have a lot of hope for my team obviously, but there is logic there and it isn't all faith. Pointing to last year. I have been a regular on this forum since the start of 2011, didn't mention a word about Palace until late 2012 when I saw something special and the capability to go up. Put my money where my mouth was, put £200 on at 11/1 and it came in nicely. We had Zaha/Bolasie/Murray and for me we had the two best wingers in the league and the best striker and thought it was enough to see us up, and despite a rocky road it just about was.

This year though, it is a lot tougher to see how we could stay up, but there has been pockets of performances that were good and it is all about elongating those. Like you have mentioned, would these best performances be better than 3 other team's best performances, you don't think they are, I think you are right as well, but I see the potential. Potential that can be unlocked quickly. Something some of the play that I have seen that calms me.

As I have said I think it is a mental problem at Palace which Holloway has just admitted he lost control of. A major reason to him leaving was in fact that second half performance on Monday. It cried of a team that had no self belief, and Holloway admitted he didn't know how to change that. He also admitted to bringing in too many too quickly and getting rid of the core that brought us up, and getting rid of that energy that was crucial to that.

Would say one big part in this is dropping players like Garvan. He was crucial to a lot of what we did last year and then was harshly left out of our 25 man squad. Garvan prophesied on twitter that day he would be at the club longer than Holloway and he has been proven correct a lot earlier than I thought. I think for him to even say that, as a pretty smart young man he is, shows he was gauging that Holloway was losing the players, and it has showed this season.

Generally I think we have the capability here to play good football, enough to keep us up, we just need that togetherness and grit, that Holloway couldn't instill. Hopefully someone else will. I want Pulis for his great record at Stoke. If he does anything similar with us, as he did with them I would be happy. Pulis did disillusion a lot of fans there though with his style of football, but in terms of stabilising this club, he is probably our man. But I really am out of my depth talking about Pulis, my knowledge of prior Premierleague campaigns is a little ropey.

And Rinswun, I hope this didn't come across as me taking anything personally, as it didn't, I thank you for your kind comment on my support of the club.

Certainly didn't come across as you taking it personally at all and my original question wasn't meant as a shot, I was genuinely interested as to where the faith was coming from (other than typical football fan faith!). I appreciate your posts as they are always well considered and well constructed. I wish Palace luck, will be a long road ahead. I genuinely hope they don't appointed Di Canio though!

Cheers again. And that makes two of us!
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 23, 2013, 10:45:30 PM »

HP - if you are 46-1 to shag Jennifer Lopez tomorrow then I am going to have to reimagine what you look like ;-)

As for Holloway I would love him at Boro.  He is an absolutely top quality manager.

His recent record in the championship has been great. Would say he would be exactly what Boro need too.

Also, came back on here to say exactly the same about his chances to bed J-Lo, clearly the man has skills.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 23, 2013, 10:46:01 PM »

i am a big lay at that price reds
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 23, 2013, 11:03:48 PM »

Pulis is insta-favourite for any managerial job that comes up at the moment. I wouldn't want him at my club. Rather go down.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 23, 2013, 11:06:09 PM »

Pulis is insta-favourite for any managerial job that comes up at the moment. I wouldn't want him at my club. Rather go down.

Can you explain why please. His record is impeccable in recent years. What is it about him?
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 23, 2013, 11:06:52 PM »

Coral go...50-1 Kenny Sansom. I mean, wtf!

Can you explain why please. His record is impeccable in recent years. What is it about him?

Might as well go the whole hog and get John Beck out of retirement.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:11:48 PM by Chompy » Logged

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 23, 2013, 11:19:33 PM »

Palace want to speak to Pulis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24648077
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 23, 2013, 11:22:34 PM »

Interesting quote from one of our chairmen: "You'd love to have someone in place next week but I haven't got a list. I wanted Ian to wake up and say, 'sorry about the blip' and stay."

He continued: " "I was more than happy to get relegated and come back up with Ian," Parish added. "The word 'sacked' has never been mentioned among the directors.

"I've spent three days trying to get Ian in the frame of mind that he can do it against Arsenal [on Saturday].
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 24, 2013, 12:11:53 AM »

Nearly got out of tonight without thanking Holloway for his monumental effort during his time with us.

There is a split in thought amongst Palace fans about Freedman and what he had going with us and if he had stayed would we have romped home to the title, or would he have did similar to Holloway, or would he have shown his inexperience and had us settle in mid table. No-one will ever know obviously. Under Freedman, I saw some of the most exciting stuff I had seen in my years of watching Palace from 2003 and I had seen Scott Sinclair and Victor Moses in the same team tearing it up in 2008.

Freedman would probably had crumbled when the bad form had hit and not been able to galvanise the team properly and give them the same belief as Holloway did. Holloway dealt with two pretty terrible dips in form around January and then again near the end of the season and still found a way to remain in the play offs and give the team a belief that they could go up. His tactics at home and away to an exceptionally in form and dangerous Brighton side, were excellent and then again in the final against Watford. Both of their squads were better bar some of our players, but Holloway used all of his experience to guide us expertly to the prem and with all of these obstacles if most other managers were at the helm I very much doubt they would have got the same result of Palace in the Prem.

In the Championship, Holloway demands a respect and I think the players love playing for him, generally, and he has an aura about him that in recent years just gets success. It was an incredible bit of business getting him in and I hope for him another promotion with the most probably next Championship club he takes over.

What he has done in one year at Palace may prove to be one of the most important years in our new history. I think he did well to keep the core of what was going well under Freedman's regime and added his own nous for when things were going wrong, to maintain our charge and ultimately show mastery to get us up. Despite some dodgy summer dealings and the start this year, what he has achieved here, and having the grace to leave when he knows the shit has hit the fan, rather than take us down, is commendable.

Both him and Zaha will have a special place in my heart. Both are complete legends to me.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 24, 2013, 12:16:43 AM »

Doubt he'd move this far up north.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 24, 2013, 07:51:40 AM »

Nearly got out of tonight without thanking Holloway for his monumental effort during his time with us.

There is a split in thought amongst Palace fans about Freedman and what he had going with us and if he had stayed would we have romped home to the title, or would he have did similar to Holloway, or would he have shown his inexperience and had us settle in mid table. No-one will ever know obviously. Under Freedman, I saw some of the most exciting stuff I had seen in my years of watching Palace from 2003 and I had seen Scott Sinclair and Victor Moses in the same team tearing it up in 2008.

Freedman would probably had crumbled when the bad form had hit and not been able to galvanise the team properly and give them the same belief as Holloway did. Holloway dealt with two pretty terrible dips in form around January and then again near the end of the season and still found a way to remain in the play offs and give the team a belief that they could go up. His tactics at home and away to an exceptionally in form and dangerous Brighton side, were excellent and then again in the final against Watford. Both of their squads were better bar some of our players, but Holloway used all of his experience to guide us expertly to the prem and with all of these obstacles if most other managers were at the helm I very much doubt they would have got the same result of Palace in the Prem.

In the Championship, Holloway demands a respect and I think the players love playing for him, generally, and he has an aura about him that in recent years just gets success. It was an incredible bit of business getting him in and I hope for him another promotion with the most probably next Championship club he takes over.

What he has done in one year at Palace may prove to be one of the most important years in our new history. I think he did well to keep the core of what was going well under Freedman's regime and added his own nous for when things were going wrong, to maintain our charge and ultimately show mastery to get us up. Despite some dodgy summer dealings and the start this year, what he has achieved here, and having the grace to leave when he knows the shit has hit the fan, rather than take us down, is commendable.

Both him and Zaha will have a special place in my heart. Both are complete legends to me.

Again, not a shot at you Ant, isn't there an argument for saying that the two dips in form were down to Holloway and had Freedman stayed it would not have been an issue? That was why I earlier asked what Holloway's overall record was for his time at Selhurst Park. I remember watched the Birmingham game on the TV and it was one of the most abject home performances I have ever seen from a promotion chasing team.

I personally feel that Holloway got very lucky in the playoffs and caught Brighton on a day when they were completely flat and Zaha on fire. Seemed to me like he was more of a hindrance than a help throughout his time in charge and in the end got bailed out by the best player in the league taking matters into his own hands.

I just checked his record and in the championship (excluding playoffs) it was: P32, W11, D12, L9 = 45. Prior to this Palace's record was P14, W8, L3 =27. So overall Palace gained 62.5% over their points under him at a ratio of 1.4 ppg.  Extrapolated over a full season this would have seen them end up 10th. Prior to him taking charge, they gained 37.5% at a ratio of 1.92ppg. Pretty significant difference with the same squad imo. Small sample size I know but all seasons are a small sample size.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:20:21 AM by rinswun » Logged

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 ... 37 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: