blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:03:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Pocket Queens:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pocket Queens:  (Read 114465 times)
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2014, 09:03:36 AM »

And so it came. The final day of our Vegas adventure. Time certainly does fly when you're having fun.  The Boy and I work very very hard and it's difficult taking time off work. Despite our commitment to taking a full two weeks out of the office, I can't believe it is time to go home.

And what a trip it's been.

Today, poker was off-limits. We started the day at the CSI Experience at MGM. Again, a little childish, but immense fun. You get to asses a crime scene as a rookie CSI agent and then analyse evidence before submitting a report at the end. Yep, you're supposed to work as a team. Yep, we got competitive. Yep, we went to opposite ends of the room to do the final test and submit our reports! We probably need to work on that competitive edge as a couple ...

After a very brief spell of sunshine and cocktails (far too hot; temperatures hit 109 today), it was time to decide on dinner. You will recall that we were tossing up between the Picasso at the Bellagio and the Paris. Picasso didn't win in the end, but we still indulged in our love of art and spent some time in the Vladimir Kush gallery.

This is a guy with a very vivid imagination and a master with a canvas. His whole collection is based on a surrealist view of the world, using metaphorical realism. His work is captivating and if the Boy had not dragged me from the gallery then I may well have parted with $6000 for one of his pieces!

The final event was dinner at the Eiffel restaurant half way up the Eiffel Tower at Paris. What a dinner that was. We dined on an exquisite seven-course dinner and chose the accompanied wine list (one recommended glass per course). We got a table at the window overlooking the Fountains of Bellagio. The food was divine, and the views were stunning.

Quite honestly the second most romantic place I've been. Behind the real Paris!

I'd like to sign off this Vegas adventure with a personal tribute, if I may. This trip has been tinged with sadness on a few occasions and I've found myself wrestling tears on more than one occasion. My darling Gran loved this city and unbelievably came here at 80 years of age. My Aunt had to drag her from the slots at 4am every morning. Such a lady. She always dreamed she would come back, but sadly illness took over before she was able. I'd like to share one of my favourite photos of her, beaming at the top of the Stratosphere ...

She brought me up to treat each day like it was your last and I pray that each and every one of you do the same.

So Gran, this one was for you.

Good night, God bless all, and I'll catch up with you in the UK.

B x
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2014, 09:51:16 PM »

Really enjoyed reading this. Great stuff. Loving the Vegas reports.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2014, 01:33:26 AM »

Really enjoyed reading this. Great stuff. Loving the Vegas reports.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
RedFox

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2014, 01:27:14 PM »

Sounds like youve had a great trip and you write so well it was good to read.

Hope Burnley do well this year - always had a soft spot for them tucked away like you are - although memories of visiting there in the 70's was occasionally scary.
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2014, 09:36:57 PM »

Thank you so much for the positive feedback guys - I always wonder whether people read so it is very reassuring to hear!

And thanks for the football encouragement RedFox.  We are absolutely going to survive next year.  No doubt.  Top six finish I reckon. Just ask Tighty.  He knows ...

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2014, 09:40:42 PM »

Seriously (for once), this has been a great read, Natalie.

Have made a note to go visit "Paris" if I ever do Vegas again. Have never been inside the place, but it looks really very nice.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2014, 09:46:42 PM »

Really enjoyed it, thanks for posting.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2014, 09:48:43 PM »

Really enjoyed it, thanks for posting.

Steady on, it's not THAT good.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2014, 09:39:07 PM »

"There's no place like home" Dorothy Gale

So.  We're home.  And what a week to come home to!

As well as dealing with horrendous jet-lag, post-Vegas blues and an impossible workload, we have had to contend with the following renovation challenges:

- Scaffolding.  Everywhere

- A new roof

- A face lift for our Tudor work

- Broken Sky (TV ... the actual sky is fine (you will be pleased to hear))

- An attic full of debris

- The threat of our garden collapsing into next door

- The threat of our patio collapsing under our feet

- The actual collapse of our shed

- A new fence to help combat against said collapse

- A broken fridge and freezer (this actually broke 3 weeks ago.  We survived.  Says a lot about our lifestyle)

- A rotten porch

Ahhh, the joys of property renovation. It will be worth it when it is done, but man-alive is it expensive (and stressful) whilst it's going on.

The outside of the house is causing us particular issues, as that involves a lot of structural and build work, all of which are expensive and require the services of expert builders.  Still, when it's done I get to move onto the fun part ... landscaping the garden area.  This is what I have in mind:

As well as a row of pretty lights (such a girl):

I will let you know how we get on!

In the meantime, I know two little blighters who were pleased to see us:

Click to see full-size image.

Nice to be back!

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2014, 10:05:52 PM »

Million you had AJ Tongue

GL with the pokers.
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2014, 05:50:06 PM »

Really enjoyed reading you're blog, very witty and you come across as a really good writer. Gl in the pokers
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2014, 07:51:32 PM »

Really enjoyed reading you're blog, very witty and you come across as a really good writer. Gl in the pokers

Thank you!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2014, 08:29:24 AM »

I wonder who the cat gets the smug look from?

DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2014, 08:27:27 PM »

"Double, double toil and trouble. Fire burn and cauldron bubble" William Shakespeare

Life for the Boy and I has been predictably manic since we last caught up with you all.  One of the outcomes of being chained to your desk with your head in your files is that every now and again, you're not really sure where the last couple of months have gone?!

Those of you in professional jobs will know that a very important part of our job is mingling with other professionals; be them clients, or referrers or even your competitors.  Business Development, or networking, is hard and it is time-consuming.  But it's necessary.  So when an event comes along that is not only necessary but is immensely enjoyable and fun, you accept your invitation instantly and genuinely look forward to the time spent away from the office.

That scenario is what happened this week.  The Boy and I work for different law firms (I work for a city firm in Manchester and the Boy is a partner in a large high street firm in Preston) but we do have a few clients who we both do work for.  One of those clients throws a Halloween Ball every year, where they hire out a great gothic cocktail bar and brief everyone to come for a night out in full-on Halloween fancy dress.  Brilliant.

I am a huge fan of Halloween and make a fuss every year.  Yes, I know, I get it; it's American and we shouldn't celebrate it and it's all commercial, blah blah, blah, but I can't help it.  It's so much fun.

And who doesn't love fancy dress?  It brings out the theatrical side of even the most shy and reserved individuals.  But also brings its challenges.

That challenge for me this year manifested itself in trying to find a Halloween costume that was "non-slut" and therefore client-appropriate.  Taking into account the current trends for female Halloween costumes, this seemed an impossible task.

I settled on "creepy" and decided to turn myself into a broken doll.  The old porcelain dolls are creepy at the best of times (in the same bracket of clown to many people) but then adding the cracks and the missing pieces gave it a very eery un-dead feel to it.

Here was the finished article.  Given that one of the paralegals who works for me was too scared to look at me, I take that as a success!

The Boy distressed my slightly by declaring that he was sorting his own costume and make-up out.  Turns out that my doubt was misplaced and he turned himself into a cracking vampire.  I was slightly perturbed seeing him with hair and his desire to excitedly inflate his wings at every given opportunity (#notaeuphemism) was disturbing to say the least, but he did good:

The night was a huge success, even if the hangover cures were not (rolling in at 04:00am on a school night is never good; Thursday is most definitely NOT the new Friday).  All that was left was for us to get into our PJs and sob in a dark room … ah, who am I trying to kid?!  We decorated the house, filled a cauldron full of sweets and embraced each trick or treater with with an over-the-top fake scream and a bag full of goodies.

If any of you had a good fun-filled Halloween then let me know; I would love you to share your pics and stories.

Until next time.

B x
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »

Ahh, nice post Natters.

Good luck to both of you in UKOPS, too. Bust that Moorman bloke!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: