blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:28:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  What do you think of my adventurous plan?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you think of my adventurous plan?  (Read 2218 times)
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 02:57:18 AM »

Would fold pre if you think he has it, don't think you have the implied odds. Completely understand why you call though. I think your plan is a winning plan vs the right opponent and I think it is a stake you should turn a profit at but I don't think this is where the majority of our hourly should come from imo. New to the table makes me much less inclined to peel pre and declare war here.

I know you probably didnt mean it like this, but you've basically said "it's a winning play but I wouldn't do it because it's not as profitable as having aces or flopping sets" Cheesy

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 02:59:57 AM »

Would fold pre if you think he has it, don't think you have the implied odds. Completely understand why you call though. I think your plan is a winning plan vs the right opponent and I think it is a stake you should turn a profit at but I don't think this is where the majority of our hourly should come from imo. New to the table makes me much less inclined to peel pre and declare war here.

I know you probably didnt mean it like this, but you've basically said "it's a winning play but I wouldn't do it because it's not as profitable as having aces or flopping sets" Cheesy
I like better reads Smiley #nitlife

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 03:10:49 AM »

I like better reads Smiley #onlinekid

Fyp

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 12:06:21 PM »

Gowan honeybadger give us your thoughts.

I do not have a ton of interesting thoughts on the actual hand itself really. I like the idea, and think it is fun, exciting and creative. I also suspect it is not profitable. That's about all I can say. But I do have some thoughts on a wider issue which this hand highlights.

In general, I don't think a game plan based around trying to get unknown players to fold strong hands is one that tends to work out well. However, this is the sort of play that I might occasionally try when I am totally settled onto my table, in the zone, fully aware of my opponent's tendencies etc. But I tend to avoid too many creative ninja-read dependent plays in the early stages of a session since I am unlikely to be 100% zoned-in yet, and also because I have nothing more than tentative inferences about how my opponents play.

When I first join a table my primary aim is to get myself settled, order pudding a drink, make sure I am comfortable, deal with any distractions etc. Then I start to get myself into a calm, concentrative mindset before I proactively engage. I am not looking to make any creative moves or outplay anyone in the first twenty minutes or so. In fact I am actively avoiding this sort of thing. My main goal is to get myself focussed and ready to play.

I believe that when I have just sat down at a table most of my opponents have an advantage over me for the first twenty minutes or so. They are already settled, comfortable and zoned into the game. I am not. I prefer to avoid unnecessary confrontations and marginal spots at this time. On the other hand, I'm always delighted to have a new player sit down when I am already settled and focussed and seek to 'take me on' before he has even got comfortable in his seat. Even if he is a much better cardplayer than me, it is unlikely to work out well for him if he seeks to confront me when I have such a big advantage over him.

In my opinion, understanding and implementing stuff like this is just as important as knowing how to play your cards well. There are so many reciprocal advantages to be gained over your opponents if you think about strategic factors that go beyond the play of a hand.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 04:11:39 PM by Honeybadger » Logged
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 12:24:37 AM »

That really is excellent advice about settling in to a game. I could not agree more. A bit like starting a football match where it's really important to get off to a solid start with no mistakes.

Young_gun

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 03:46:12 PM »

The reason I ask about calling pre is because we don't have enough info on our opponent. It could be a profitable play, it could not. We don't actually know yet.

If you perceive him to have a tight 3-betting range, then we are dominated nearly all of the time.

Given that you had this plan to move him off a strong hand, you obviously think he will fold on scary looking boards, so when we hit decently enough, you are expecting to not get paid. Therefore, I'm not sure where our implied odds are coming from unless you cooler them.

If you don't think that they can fold an overpair or TPTK, then we have implied odds, but why would you then try this adventurous plan?

It may only be 50 more to call, but that is 10bb more and the effective stack is less than 200bb, so you aren't deep.

Seeing as you describe the villain as 'solid' - obviously what people mean by this definition varies, but to me it is a competent player, not just one that plays ABC. Do you not think it is a little presumptuous to assume that you will just get him off missed overcards every time?

This just all brings me back to the fact that we don't know enough about villain yet to know where we are making money in this hand. We have no idea how they play postflop and we shouldn't be calling too many 3-bets just because we have position.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having such a plan on the turn and trying it, it would just be a lot better if you had logical reasoning that it would work and that it is a +EV play.

Anyway, they are just my thoughts. Interested to hear responses to it Smiley

Great post
Gowan honeybadger give us your thoughts.

I do not have a ton of interesting thoughts on the actual hand itself really. I like the idea, and think it is fun, exciting and creative. I also suspect it is not profitable. That's about all I can say. But I do have some thoughts on a wider issue which this hand highlights.

In general, I don't think a game plan based around trying to get unknown players to fold strong hands is one that tends to work out well. However, this is the sort of play that I might occasionally try when I am totally settled onto my table, in the zone, fully aware of my opponent's tendencies etc. But I tend to avoid too many creative ninja-read dependent plays in the early stages of a session since I am unlikely to be 100% zoned-in yet, and also because I have nothing more than tentative inferences about how my opponents play.

When I first join a table my primary aim is to get myself settled, order pudding a drink, make sure I am comfortable, deal with any distractions etc. Then I start to get myself into a calm, concentrative mindset before I proactively engage. I am not looking to make any creative moves or outplay anyone in the first twenty minutes or so. In fact I am actively avoiding this sort of thing. My main goal is to get myself focussed and ready to play.

I believe that when I have just sat down at a table most of my opponents have an advantage over me for the first twenty minutes or so. They are already settled, comfortable and zoned into the game. I am not. I prefer to avoid unnecessary confrontations and marginal spots at this time. On the other hand, I'm always delighted to have a new player sit down when I am already settled and focussed and seek to 'take me on' before he has even got comfortable in his seat. Even if he is a much better cardplayer than me, it is unlikely to work out well for him if he seeks to confront me when I have such a big advantage over him.

In my opinion, understanding and implementing stuff like this is just as important as knowing how to play your cards well. There are so many reciprocal advantages to be gained over your opponents if you think about strategic factors that go beyond the play of a hand.

Excellent stuff

Twitter: @johnnybev1987
#skypokerteamhitsquad
#lovethegame
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 10:53:28 PM »

HoneyBadger I couldn't agree more with what you have said, I do exactly the same at cash. I hate being on must moves as I don't usually do much for the first half an hour other than play nitty. If you are new to a table and you are splashing chips around then you are going to be perceived as aggro/loose and therefore less likely to have it.

I think this hand is quite interesting but I guess you almost have to be there to feel if this play would be any good.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: