blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:43:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  confessions of a teenage grinder.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: confessions of a teenage grinder.  (Read 65893 times)
polerization

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2013, 03:12:44 AM »

I really don't know were to start with this, i suppose the beginning is the best. I love the game simply put and this is what i want to do as a living, I've never been the type who wants to learn a trade e.g plumber, electrician or mechanic (all trades in my family) i started to play poker a while ago maybe 5 years but didn't understand it as i was just playing with some of my dads friends and didn't really care. Then i picked the game up again a few years later with my friends all of us underage obviously so we just messed about in small home games playing 5p/10p. This led me to where i am to be honest this made me want to learn everything about the game, so i guess i started to try too. I guess that i thought i was quite good back then siggggh..... i really was terrible and compared to a lot of players still have so much to learn but still feel i am quite good and having been to DTD  few times felt like i have an edge over the recreational players.
    I played a few of the XXL25 tournaments and chopped one in January were i was 3rd in chips for £1k this was the biggest confidence boost and made me feel like i could do well in tournaments not realizing at the time these were luck box tournaments and it wasn't a big accomplishment lol. So i played a little 50/1 cash which was really fun and i found wasn't hard at all, i had a good time playing and made a little bit playing these. I guess i haven't given a lot of background or anything but i don't know who will bother to read this as its my first post so more Will come if people want it. The main reason i am posting is because i am moving to Nottingham in the summer to try and make a living playing poker, i found Blonde to be a very good social place linked with DTD so thought it would be good to be on here and also i would like to ask some pros/regs for advice on playing and also on living the poker lifestyle and grinding.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 04:06:58 AM »

Welcome to blonde Mr Poler.

Good luck with the Diary, & chasing that poker dream. Be careful, it is a well-trodden path, & very few earn money from it, so keep the feet planted, but a whole bunch of folks get tremendous pleasure from it, at a very limited cost.

Enjoy.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 07:22:16 AM »

I wish you luck with the poker and the diary, but I promise you this. You won't last more than two years as a teenage grinder.

The older I get, the better I was.
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 08:55:18 AM »

I wish you luck with the poker and the diary, but I promise you this. You won't last more than two years as a teenage grinder.

Hard game
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »

Why Nottingham? I play similar stakes live and Nottingham was the place lowest down on my list. Best of luck, make yourself at home and feel free to pm me anytime about anything.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 09:47:32 AM »

too good

Ah! The element of surprise
polerization

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »

haha yes i guess that's true maybe i'll have to change the title at some point, Nottingham was my first choice as my friend will be going to Nottingham uni in the summer and were going to share an apartment obvious financial advantages. I also know the risks of this lifestyle it's more the side of everyone sort of not liking that i want this lifestyle parents etc.... but thanks guys what would you all say is an acceptable role to be starting out on, i have a staking deal sorted for all the tournaments i will play so just playing 50/1 cash?
polerization

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 04:48:25 PM »

just had a big talk with my stepdad still not told him about poker really don't know how, read a lot on here about parents opinions and just wondering how anyone on here told there own parents and how they dealt with the reaction any replies will help please?
iangascoigne

Just getting started.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 05:54:10 PM »

Welcome to Blonde. Yes I haven't managed to tell my dad about my poker yet,keep meaning to but never quite get there.

Father of Ed and Alice, grandfather to Toby. That is enough for anyone. Twitter @IanGas
PeeJay

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 06:35:15 PM »

I'm not sure you'll be able to make a living playing 50/1 tbh. It's a pretty short stacked game with high rake. I just dont think its feasible that anyone can sustain a living playing the capped 50/1 games at DTD.

Also nottingham is not the best place to play as the games probably have the highest concentration of good regs that will make it hard for any biginner to win long term. I know this may sound condescending and pessimistic but I honestly think online poker would be a far better solution and will make the learning curve take a lot less time.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 08:34:45 PM »

Melissa will be the one with her arms folded.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »

Haha, I'm going to stop doing this now  Roll Eyes

Folded Arms

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 11:47:49 PM »

Any male that post on blonde , Melissa will try to chat them up .
polerization

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 06:41:42 AM »

Hello  Smiley Welcome to Blonde.

We will most probably bump heads at DTD when you move here.
Looking forward to this haha

Whilst it is easy to make money at 50/1, I agree with PJ that it is hard to make a decent living out of it.
This i had not really thought off. my plan was to put most of my volume in online anyway, what site do you play on?

. Online is always going to be better and it's true that you learn a lot faster online too (online players are better) Wink
Obv true Wink
Btw what sort of role would you suggest for playing the 1/1 games and the plan is to build a role while payimg living expenses so i can hopefully move into the 1/2 and 2/5(eventually) games and become a reg myself.
polerization

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 06:53:38 AM »

Any male that post on blonde , Melissa will try to chat them up .

Pretty sure theres worse things in life haha
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: