blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:38:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272606 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  when does the makeup gravy train stop?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: when does the makeup gravy train stop?  (Read 9427 times)
strak33

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 10:29:20 AM »

I play cash round leeds/sheffield and normally wear jeans and a shirt, i normally go fri/sat but dont know anyone if that helps you any? how the fk u want me to identify myself u nob, who do i have have to know to be able to post ?

I'm a self employed plumber and am amazed at the amounts involved tbh? and was jus asking a question? maybe a full profile and pic will do before i post again?

I have to work a busy month for £3/4k max yet these figures amaze me that the guys are basically jus needing a big bink to get even,  for most its never gonna happen. But like someone said these guys obv know what they're doing so leave theem too it

Will this do the job? Just want to flush a clean through the washing machine drain pipe. Thanks
strak33

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 10:31:40 AM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duzzit-Drain-Away-40g-Sachets/dp/B004PFOU9I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373880394&sr=8-2&keywords=drain+cleaner
LonOhRay

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 05:54:08 PM »

I clearly chose the wrong backers they have too much money and are too clever to drop anyone who's in deep
biggy333x

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 09:54:20 PM »

When i first started playing poker few years ago the impression i got was that the better you got the bigger you could build a "roll" and so then you can play bigger games/ tourneys.  Before i knew any better i thought that the people that won big tourneys actually won the money not 10/25/50% of it and that it seems fairly normal now for someone to win an  €1m EPT and finish up owing €100k's out for overselling themselves.

The guy that really shocked me was on another forum and finally put a figure on his makeup at $170k (with not very impressive sharkscope graph and few mediocre live results).  This is extreme i thought but the thing that amazed me was that he was saying his results would be better if he hadn't paid 70k in rake.  Not rake back - he was trying to say if i hadn't paid the rake he would only be 100k in the hole and that was living expense!

Like wtf?! 100k living expenses? i was wondering how many young guys must be out there 10/20/30k etc in make up thinking it's no big thing but meantime in the real world it's an obscene amount to basically owe someone when you have no skills (not even social skills according to Neil C blog) apart from being a mediocre poker player thats on the wrong side of variance.

Now i jus think that at some point theres gotta be a sort of credit crunch type meltdown but what do i know, obv these guys backers been doing what they do as long as they have and they know what they're doing.
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 10:00:23 PM »

Biggy, with the greatest respect, you aren't coming across like you understand staking at all well, and although I can understand "where" you are coming from, you are making your point badly.

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 10:02:12 PM »

The poker world is a very strange world indeed, totally alien to real life when it comes to borrowing/lending/staking. I could not sleep if I owed someone I knew more than a couple of hundred quid, poker players don't seem to care and have no problem borrowing/being staked/staking for relatively large sums of money.

Most outsiders to poker would be wtf at that, I am also mostly tbh. But the more immersed you get in poker the more you realise its standard for many players to do it with people they don't necessarily even know that well. Although for the bigger numbers you hear they probably do.
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 10:06:01 PM »

As someone who stakes people online, I'm not really sure where you're going with this.  We don't stake players for amusement, solely to make money.  Thats not to say that some backers don't make bad investments from time to time, but I've never really seen the need to take it upon myself to berate backers for making mistakes.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 10:16:53 PM »

As someone who stakes people online, I'm not really sure where you're going with this.  We don't stake players for amusement, solely to make money.  Thats not to say that some backers don't make bad investments from time to time, but I've never really seen the need to take it upon myself to berate backers for making mistakes.

Really? I'd say a fair few of us do it for fun actually, myself included.......
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 10:20:05 PM »

You're not a backer tho, you're a guy just buying a stake, it's totally different.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 10:20:41 PM »

You're not a backer tho, you're a guy just buying a stake, it's totally different.

Ok fair enough boss.
Skgv

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 10:29:03 PM »

Valid point. Not just totally different but like said above a whole new world!
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 10:48:25 PM »

As someone who stakes people online, I'm not really sure where you're going with this.  We don't stake players for amusement, solely to make money.  That's not to say that some backers don't make bad investments from time to time, but I've never really seen the need to take it upon myself to berate backers for making mistakes.

Valid point. Not just totally different but like said above a whole new world!

I've always compared staking to like trading on the stock exchange (though probably much less complex).  Some of you're investments will show a profit, some of them won't.  As long as the ones that make money, make more than the guys that don't, you're good to go.

If someone was talking about investing millions on the Stock Market and losing it, I wouldn't think about finding a trading forum and start berating people for doing it.  Granted, I am only a extremely small backer compared to some of the big players in the game.  I know guys who have in excess of 100 horses and whose stables can swing $1million at a time.  Losing $100k on a horse isn't really a big issue in the grand scheme of things.  Granted, its far removed from the day to day lives of everyone else, but I see no reason to berate the people who are in the business for a reason.

The other part of backing is that you can all too quickly build up a relationship with a horse and fail to see the bad things they do.  You can spend so much time working on a daily basis with someone and helping them improve their game and coaching them that you feel committed to the cause and build a false sense of belief in their capabilities.  Theres all kinds of reasons for horses getting into $100k's of makeup, and for the high stakes regs its not at all at uncommon.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 10:51:02 PM »

theres also a whole bunch of people backed flicking in the most -ev tournaments and just rofling about.

you need a really close trusting relationship between horses/backer for it to have any chance of succeeding.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 11:20:42 PM »

To answer OP's question in the subject, I think people stopped using gravy browning as a fake tan in the early fifties.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 11:22:35 PM »

To answer OP's question in the subject, I think people stopped using gravy browning as a fake tan in the early fifties.

I believe you're getting confused with the makeup gravy boat.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: