blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:12:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Squid's In: In the Well with Sam Grafton
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Squid's In: In the Well with Sam Grafton  (Read 39701 times)
The Squid

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2013, 01:39:15 AM »

Favourite country visited?

Which is top of the list of ones you've yet to visit?

Ever wanted to slap someone at the poker table?

Feel more at home in Palestine than most places in UK.

I would really like to go to Lebanon, also South Africa, Brazil... Once you start thinking about it there's so many places.

Yh. Whenever someone insists on seeing a players hand unnecessarily.
The Squid

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2013, 01:46:16 AM »

why did you limp AKs 200bb deep UTG1 at a soft table

a) People play badly with initiative. They massively overvalue hands, bluff to much etc
b) Deception. AK ranks as hand that I almost can't have when I limp call. They'll attack my boards a lot and the low boards I'm perceived to have sets or whatever.
c) This sort of comes from the other two, but when you give someone the betting lead and have a deceptively strong hand all sorts of good things can happen. If someone isos KQ they'll generally play for stacks on King high where as when they peel utg open they proceed cautiously.

Only bad thing is your the button and your really good. I often limp strong hands on bad-spewey players buttons. You don't fit that profile.
The Squid

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2013, 01:52:04 AM »

Biggest extravagance?

Fave type of food?

Biggest degen story?

Extravagance I sort of covered. Food is anything involving cheese. Degenerate stories mainly revolve around the gutty (The International). I've defo played the case money or 90% of my net in a cash game there at least three or four times. Remember having a losing session online then losing money to the dealers playing Legs so I fired up 5/10 off maybe a six thousand dollar roll and won a buy-in off KyleJf or something HU to get out of it. Snap sat out after aswell. That sort of thing definitely wasn't uncommon back them.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2013, 01:55:11 AM »

I would really like to go to Lebanon, also South Africa, Brazil... Once you start thinking about it there's so many places.

Fast becoming one of my favs. We met briefly at DTD, wednesday night before MC, you bounced up to the cash desk loving life and it was both exciting to see and somewhat intimidating!

At the moment I'm grinding small stakes NLHE/a bit of omaha mtts with Mil and maybe up to big 55 most days, I punt a bit on .fr in there sunday stuff and to add some extra volume. I also play virtually every omaha 8 tourney around. Live cash thrown in 2-3 times a week mood/life dependent. Bar playing everyday, reviewing certain hands and chatting on skype what other work would you do? Any schedule advice? Would you look to eurosites for all NLHE play? Play any yourself?

Thooughts on luckychewys facial hair? Cheers for doing this, if you ever have any o8 questions feel free to ask away. Don't have to go beserk with the qns cos i asked a lot but if any take your fancy fire away, you've touched on some stuff already.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
MattHeap81
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2013, 02:05:25 AM »

- What was the most profound thing you heard Phil Galfond say this summer?

- What tilts you most, both in poker and away from poker?

-  Funniest thing you've seen at a poker table?

NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2013, 02:07:08 AM »

How big is the problem of misogyny in poker and what can we do to solve it? GO!

Wow! Shit just got serious!

Yh I think it's a massive problem. If you look at the way women are talked about it's continually in reference to the way they look. Annette's recent wait loss, whether she's hot or not is continually mentioned both just in general chat and also in the more formalised poker media. Last year when there was all that ADZ chat about Lauren Kling people just lapped it up. There was real glee about the public humiliation of an attractive girl.

Think two things need to happen. Firstly poker media just need to be responsible with way they depict female poker players and we as a community just need to side step worst excesses of sexist discourse.

This of course is a societal issue that exists outside of poker but it is particularly prominent inside our community.

Cool.

I kinda feel that the Ladies' Event works too much as a stop gap these days. People assume it helps but I don't think it does. WSOP/EPT/WPT need to give active roles to women/minorities and ask them, "What can we do better?" Then listen and take every piece of advice. Something like actual women's committees and not just including people like Vanessa Selbst, but lower stakes women. It would need to cover a wide range.

As for the media side of things, I know several people who work at places like Pokernews who are still set in certain ways of thinking with no idea of their privilege. Bluff regularly holding their WSOP party at a strip club hardly helps.

It's not just them though, when Iveypoker signed up Lucille Cailly, the very first thing they have in her bio is how pretty she is. I mean fuck you, seriously. This is a woman who came second in one of the toughest events of the year winning about a million euros and had like 90% of her own action after swaps and her looks are the first thing you mention?

The Squid

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2013, 02:17:47 AM »

do you have any long term goals?

tell the story of the time you broke into an airplane hanger

do you find poker fulfilling?

top 3 poker thinkers?

top 3 poker robots?

Long term I guess kids and family are part of the make up of the next ten years. I really want a family but I feel I need to win a major title first. I can't imagine how difficult it must be too raise a family and still compete on the poker front.

The airplane thing is probably a little controversial to fully get into here. To give an outline I was very heavily involved in the anti-Iraq war protest. I did a lot of organising around that time and was very convinced of the efficacy of civil disobedience. This culminated in me and a friend breaking into RAF Fairford to 'peacefully disarm' the planes there. It's still an action I fully stand by.

Funnily enough the reason I was late out to Vegas was because of the wedding of my 'partner in crime-prevention' Joss. He was only 17 when we broke in and is now head of Political Policy for GreenPeace. Quite a lot of the best man speech centred on jokes to do with that break in and other actions Joss had been involved in.

Good question about fulfilling. I know you've selected that word carefully. Poker doesn't really affect anyone outside the poker world so it's never going to satisfy me fully. That said succeeding in a very competitive environment can be a very rich experience and a lot of the fringe benefits; namely travel and a wide social circle are an added reward.

I think Moorman hand history-wise is one of the best. Im lucky enough to know a lot of good thinkers so it depends what type of hand it is. When i went deep in Deauville every night i told hand histories to Vampy and Jakoon. Pretty boss combo right there. Mickey Petersen in terms of macro issues regarding ROIs game selection, regs tendencies has gotta be one of the best. Whenever im with him i want to know his opinion on every subject. Finally there's Galfond of course. Galfond's Well completely blew my mind when I first read it.

Poker-robots. You mean like volume and results? Toby Lewis and Jake are obscene. Toby's results live and online are ridiculous. Online NigDawg, Cal, Mickey again, all playing lots of tables and playing great poker at almost all of them.
The Squid

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2013, 02:29:52 AM »

Fast becoming one of my favs. We met briefly at DTD, wednesday night before MC, you bounced up to the cash desk loving life and it was both exciting to see and somewhat intimidating!

At the moment I'm grinding small stakes NLHE/a bit of omaha mtts with Mil and maybe up to big 55 most days, I punt a bit on .fr in there sunday stuff and to add some extra volume. I also play virtually every omaha 8 tourney around. Live cash thrown in 2-3 times a week mood/life dependent. Bar playing everyday, reviewing certain hands and chatting on skype what other work would you do? Any schedule advice? Would you look to eurosites for all NLHE play? Play any yourself?

Thooughts on luckychewys facial hair? Cheers for doing this, if you ever have any o8 questions feel free to ask away. Don't have to go beserk with the qns cos i asked a lot but if any take your fancy fire away, you've touched on some stuff already.

Chewey seems like the greatest guy ever. Super sincere and just ask you something and then attentively listens. Massively under-rated skill. Guess with the facial hair he's just trying to look more grown up. Such a baby face.

Was chatting with Scott Clements about O8 tournaments. We both used to grind the late night/early morning $24 on Full Tilt pre Black Friday. One of the sad things is that now I'm backed for high-stakes its so hard to justify grinding the low stakes Omaha birds that I used to play when I was on my own money.
The Squid

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2013, 02:49:42 AM »

- What was the most profound thing you heard Phil Galfond say this summer?

-  Funniest thing you've seen at a poker table?

Galfond kind of refined something I've often talked about which I used to call your 'inner punter' which is like where you have a certain disposition to do bad stuff completely irrationally. Like you've learnt to be good but you still have this atavistic part of you that wants to play a certain way. Like if a decision is close you might always lead towards the most aggro option because deep down that's what You like dng. Or secretly deep down you like to bluff so if its close between check folding and bluffing you bluff too much. Often this 'inner punter' is shaped by the context in which you learnt to play. So a lot of English players are taught early on the importance of 'getting it in ahead' so if a spots close between say four bet jam and fold they fold because their inner punter would feel slightly embarrassed if they were to flip over the worst hand.

Galfond talked about an inner emotional response. Like how he felt completely comfortable making hero call, but when he makes bluffs and they get called he feels tilted slightly. Just to re-emphasise we aren't talking about the EV of the play. We're talking about your emotional response when a play doesn't work and how that shapes your game. Made me think a lot about my own tendencies. I busted almost every timbey I went deep in with a suited blocker. I have almost no emotional response to being all in pre with worst hand but perhaps I don't like 'passing up' spots. If I'm not making decisions completely rationally but giving in to an emotional prejudice that's obviously a huge leak.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2013, 03:02:29 AM »

Last band you saw? Last festival you went to? Future festival plans? Favourite act from Edinburgh fringe?

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
The Squid

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2013, 03:40:20 AM »

The Squid

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2013, 03:46:07 AM »

I've said this before in other interviews but people who are rude to dealers I find joke tilting. Not only are the majority of dealers super nice people but they are integral to what we do for a living and how we make our money.
hatthehole

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2013, 06:22:56 AM »

5 books that everyone should read?
how much £ would you have to be paid to never play another hand of poker?
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2013, 07:02:52 AM »

1. I don't really get this question. What do you mean by play?

As in, you are up to perform a charade]/i]. What are you going yo do? Film? Book? Whatever.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
claypole

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2013, 08:36:30 AM »

Serious one....Do you have conflict with what your chosen job is as a professional poker player and your undoubted strong values and moral compass, in terms of using your skills and talents to make a difference to society in general?

Is the jacket you bought in All Saints last night  a "classic" Vegas purchase that will never see the light of day again?

What were the three biggest "key points" or events in you becoming successful at poker?

Good catching up last few weeks; shame about the ID and Coyote...mind you you had a lucky escape after reduc shooters. Safe trip home, hope the passport issue is sorted in LA
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: