blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:32:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Squid's In: In the Well with Sam Grafton
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Squid's In: In the Well with Sam Grafton  (Read 39840 times)
The Squid

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »

5 books that everyone should read?

Surprised there's no Chomsky in there. Or Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine

Chomsky was certainly a huge influence on me politically. Howard Zinn's history of the United States, Amira Haas' journalism from Palestine, Edward Said's writing on Orientalism; there's a lot of nonfiction that's incredibly worthwhile.
The Squid

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2013, 07:55:05 PM »

I get accused plenty often on this forum and beyond of being a pedant, a know it all, even a snob. So let's dispell some of that with an honest question:

I started Ulysees and, after my first reading session, never went back to it. You know a book is sometimes described as unputdownable? Well this was the opposite; I couldn't pick it up. It was like eating 500 ryvitas without even a glass of water or a slice of cheese.

Convince me Joyce is worth another go.

It's a tough read for sure. You shouldn't approach it to reverentially tho as it's also very funny in parts. Maybe start by reading 'Dubliners' first. Or there's avery faithful film adaptation.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2013, 08:09:37 PM »

Great stuff Sam. Don't know you at all either, but you come across well.

See you at the blonde bash thumbs up

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
The Squid

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2013, 08:54:57 PM »

Given you spent a lot of time at the International/Gutshot, where there were a mixture of personalities shall we say, did you ever have any bad experiences?

Very early on had to hold a guy back while he tried to hit this kid who was threatening him with a chair. No lie! In general things didn't spill over in that way very often. Certainly a huge mix of people hanging out at the club. Miss it more than I can say.

OiOiii

Spent some time with Sammy pingpong, TLD, elliott and JJ for Jerome's bday on Sunday evening mate, so so good to see them again. Miss the Int muchly.

My question. Do you find that you have a better ROI or worse when in a relationship? Like when you have someone you care for greatly, you obv aren't able to spend as much time grinding and working on your game compared to times of singledom, so in theory it would be -$EV. Yet somehow when someone's there who actually cares/takes an interest in your results that you maybe play better than you could when alone? So because of the big boost in +LifeEV, it maybe ends up as +$EV too?

I've had a girlfriend the majority of the time of been playing and it definitely helps. It serves to balance against the compulsive nature of the online grind. Brings you back to reality and face up to real world stuff.
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2013, 10:47:39 PM »

My Mrs don't half moan sometimes too.
ralph cifaretto

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2013, 11:24:22 PM »

Cheers 4 doing the weill. Best of luck Sam. And remember (and this is the sole reason why I lurk on blondepoker) the cream ALWAYS rises!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2013, 10:45:37 AM »

Lovely article, Sam, & a great "Well", thank you.

http://www.pokerplayer.co.uk/news/features/13462/the_daily_grind.html

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2013, 10:54:44 AM »

Thanks Sam was a good read, always good to have another Sheffield University graduate around here, there are quite a few of us on here.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2013, 03:11:23 PM »

So you do still grind the big 22 everyday? Or near enough Tongue Pretty sick, love the heart, the guys at the top-end seem so far and away to other grinders!

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
LIONRAMPANT

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2013, 10:09:50 AM »

Think that's all the questions taken care of, so my time in 'The Well' is at an end. See you all at a live bird sometime soon.

cheers Sam.

Don't be a stranger, I am sure I speak for everyone when I say its good to have your input on the forum.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2013, 10:39:23 AM »

Thanks Sam was a good read, always good to have another Sheffield University graduate around here, there are quite a few of us on here.

Who have we got in the Sheffield Uni Alumni:

The Squid
Longy
Kinboshi
DMorgan
Philthepower

Who else?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 10:41:00 AM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »

The Squid
Longy
Kinboshi
DMorgan
Philthepower

Who else?

Hmmm there was a thread a while back when loads came out of the woodwork, sure can remember who they were.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2013, 11:06:17 AM »

Didn't you lot do any work?

scared

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2013, 03:15:41 PM »

Sammy one of the top guys in UK poker atm without a question.

You can throw bricks at groups of poker players from every part of the world and it'll be a while before you hit one with a bad word to say about him...

dwayne110

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2013, 10:28:16 PM »

The Squid
Longy
Kinboshi
DMorgan
Philthepower

You can add me to the list....Sorby Hall, great days!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: