blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:16:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  A Fool And His Money...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Fool And His Money...  (Read 47635 times)
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2013, 05:40:04 AM »

Was at gala tonight, literally everyone was like "WTF WHERE'S FRED?!"

"Oh game's dead"

"It's just not the same without Fred around"

"This game is missing something" "Yeah fred.."

When DTD owners aren't asking telling you your name is cool you're being pined for by gala regs.

W
A
L

Baller diary btw. <3

Love how "where's Fred?" is literally a catchphrase now. Not worried about any of this going to his head as if it gets any bigger it will literally burst.

TL;DR - Fred Wise; head size.
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2013, 12:36:11 PM »

Did u win MR COOL ?
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2013, 04:02:13 PM »

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, means a lot!

Just thought I'd write a post about the other 'non-poker' side to me e.g. what I do for a living. Hopefully won't turn out to be too much of a TL;DR Cheesy

Whilst being at Uni I decided that although I wanted to live like a balla, I didn't like the idea of getting a job. Therefore the obvious choice seemed to be setting up a business of some sort and begin what I hoped would be my journey to becoming a millionaire. Before Uni I had dabbled a bit in website design and after working part time in the marketing department of a multi million pound labelling company, I realised that businesses were willing to spend incredible amounts of money on website design & development especially when it came to ecommerce which was really starting to boom back then. I therefore came to the conclusion that it would be +EV to learn this trade and that I could make a reasonable income freelancing alongside my studies.

Within 6 months I had a pretty good grasp on the different technologies and trends being used in website development and what companies were looking for when choosing to branch out online. I chose to brand myself under the name Alliance Studio setting up a portfolio website, getting business cards printed etc. I then managed to land a few clients both in Derby and back home in Boston, including luckboxing a contract to design an ordering system used by every train company in the UK. I still continue to build and develop Alliance Studio as a brand and have some pretty exciting new ideas for the next few months which will offer both existing and new customers a whole bunch of new services.

My second entrepreneurial outburst was the acquisition of an online clothing company, 8th Wonder Clothing. Now at the time I knew pretty much nothing about the clothing industry however did know a lot about selling online and search engine marketing therefore thought - what's the worst that can happen? When I first looked at buying the company, it didn't have a huge range of clothes but did have a steady rate of traffic with good search engine rankings for the brands that they stocked so seemed like a pretty sound investment.

Once the deal went through I suddenly found myself with a ridiculous number of boxes taking up almost all the space in my room at Uni. Didn't really think that part through, however I soon got used to it and made sure that I locked up the biggest room when moving into our 3rd year house. After the stock was all moved over I got to work on a complete redesign of the site as well as working hard on the general marketing of the business including handing out flyers at uni, emailing offers to customers and utilising Facebook and Twitter to build relationships with customers. Since then the company has grown and I'll soon be looking at putting more money into new stock ready for the winter with the aim of turning over enough of a profit to make it viable to invest in another online business idea.

So that's basically it, just thought some of you might find it interesting to see how I manage to fund my gambling habit Smiley

Ive got the lot.

FYP

loool Mitch! Nice blog, gl for the future.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2013, 06:57:02 PM »

Interesting about your background. I know nothing about e-commerce but I have a couple of ideas of things I was going to look at to sell online.

How would a total noob get started?

What do you think of sites like these to use for a noob?

http://www.shopify.com/

Or do you have any other sites to rec?
FredW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2013, 07:08:23 PM »

Interesting about your background. I know nothing about e-commerce but I have a couple of ideas of things I was going to look at to sell online.

I must admit I haven't had a lot of experience with Shopify as it requires little input from designers however from what i've heard it's good for start-ups but can be quite limiting in terms of features and will work out to be more expensive in the long run than hiring a designer to build you a site from scratch on a different platform.

Would recommend it though if you wanted to test out the market and get a feel for customer demand and then look at potentially upgrading in the future.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2013, 07:10:04 PM »

I must admit I haven't had a lot of experience with Shopify as it requires little input from designers however from what i've heard it's good for start-ups but can be quite limiting in terms of features and will work out to be more expensive in the long run than hiring a designer to build you a site from scratch on a different platform.

Would recommend it though if you wanted to test out the market and get a feel for customer demand and then look at potentially upgrading in the future.

Ok fair enough ty  Smiley
FredW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2013, 08:03:21 PM »

Today's been pretty hot and having to use trains and buses has made me realise how much I miss having a car.

As a few of you know, I had a nice BMW until recently when I unfortunately wasn't paying attention to the road ended up skidding round a bend, through a traffic light and into a roundabout. Luckily no one was injured but the car was completely totalled.

Initially I thought that I could save money by not having a car now that I plan to move to Nottingham. However I've now come to the conclusion that having more money is not worth having no car. So I'm going to start looking round for a little runabout, possibly something like this:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 08:06:42 PM by FredW » Logged
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2013, 09:28:51 PM »

Cool diary, sounds like a lot of fun but I bet you have to dedicate a lot to keep two businesses running??

What's your plans for poker?
Thoughts considering Alex mentioning a possible move away from Nottingham?
Favourite films? Cry-er or 'manly'?

Smiley

Bully87
Just a 50NL Fish

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2013, 10:02:24 PM »

Today's been pretty hot and having to use trains and buses has made me realise how much I miss having a car.

As a few of you know, I had a nice BMW until recently when I unfortunately wasn't paying attention to the road ended up skidding round a bend, through a traffic light and into a roundabout. Luckily no one was injured but the car was completely totalled.

Initially I thought that I could save money by not having a car now that I plan to move to Nottingham. However I've now come to the conclusion that having more money is not worth having no car. So I'm going to start looking round for a little runabout, possibly something like this:

I knew you were an Andy Murphy wannabe... Wink
Fenix35

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2013, 03:38:13 AM »

nice meeting u the other day Fred, good luck crushing alex at the ofc ap Smiley

Ben
FredW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2013, 02:01:31 AM »

Had a few good days live so decided to play a few of the sunday tournaments. Bricked most of them but still in the million and am now 28/251. Would happily use my one time on this I think! Smiley
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2013, 02:49:47 AM »

Fred's first time playing the sunday million or any sort of MTT session by the way folks.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
FredW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2013, 03:49:59 AM »

Sigh, ended up coming 78th for $1.8k. Ended up winning for the day but disappointing to have come so far and not get further but hey ho. Going to look at putting some time into trying to improve online and hopefully play some bigger sessions in the coming weeks!
shipitonetime

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2013, 11:33:01 AM »

GG in the milli. Hope u are successful in future attempts to profit from dem tough online playas. My fav diary on here btw, keep up the good work Smiley
FredW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2013, 09:25:11 PM »

GG in the milli. Hope u are successful in future attempts to profit from dem tough online playas. My fav diary on here btw, keep up the good work Smiley

Cheers bud! What happened to your diary?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: