blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:51:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Service
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Service  (Read 7541 times)
jjandellis
« on: August 03, 2013, 12:32:41 AM »

OK gonna sound really provincial and nitty here...

Been for a meal in The Smoke tonight. Bill comes and includes service charge. 12.5%

I normally tip about 10%, but the presumptuousness of this p*ssed me off a little...especially as I wasn't thrilled with the service. It wasn't awful, but it was very average.

I can't recall seeing this before...whats the legalities of it all?

Should I be allowed to remove it and tip as I see fit?
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 12:49:42 AM »

Happened to me in a place in London too, the service had been very minimal so as we were paying cash we just deducted it and gave our own, smaller, tip.

Not sure how legal it was.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 12:50:43 AM »

Becoming more and more common. Seems wrong to me.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 12:51:35 AM »

Service charge is entirely optional.

12.5% is super standard though - even the Conglomerated Union of Scottish and Yorkshire Misers is shaking their heads at your financial carefulness.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 12:54:15 AM »

Annoying, but unfortunately getting more common especially in nicer restaurants, never told them to GTFO yet though.....
Swordpoker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 01:26:42 AM »

My folks used to have a restaurant. We never had a service charge but many restaurant owner friends did.

Service charge is not the same as tipping! I wish restaurants were more transparent about this. The restaurant owners can legally keep the money. When this is done it is often justified by saying it covers breakages or goes towards staff wages. Same goes for leaving a tip on a debit/credit card. Leaving cash is the most likely way for the staff to get it.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 09:39:22 AM »

I would pay the service charge but deduct my attendance fee.

The older I get, the better I was.
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 10:30:56 AM »

It really winds me up though it seems to be more prevalent in The South...London , Oxford ,Dorset etc though I think its fair to say there are more "nicer restaurants" than up here in The North

If the service is good I always tip 10-15% anyway  but when presented with a bill that has an additional service charge I tend to take exception . I ask for it to be removed , sometimes getting an interview from the manager in the process , and will leave no tip normally muttering words like " we wont come here again"

Tom is right we should charge them an attendance fee
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 11:06:03 AM »

My folks used to have a restaurant. We never had a service charge but many restaurant owner friends did.

Service charge is not the same as tipping!
I wish restaurants were more transparent about this. The restaurant owners can legally keep the money. When this is done it is often justified by saying it covers breakages or goes towards staff wages. Same goes for leaving a tip on a debit/credit card. Leaving cash is the most likely way for the staff to get it.

Quite shocked at this! Why call it a service charge if it's not for the service?
Saying it's towards wages is terrible, the customer shouldn't be paying the their staff.
It's not like have your plate brought to you is an optional extra, anyway. If it is I'd be quite happy to go into the kitchen and dish my own up!

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 11:15:19 AM »

In some Vegas eateries they surcharge 18% for parties of 8 or more. WTF is that all about? Why should it make any difference, you are after all bringing more money into the place.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »

I thought service charge was common although not in places I goto often. If its for wages then that should be on price of meal rather than a hidden extra as some people will goto a place as its cheaper then find out its not massive con

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 11:35:49 AM »

pretty sure you don't have to pay it.

but it seems standard in the more expensive restaurants now.

I was once in a bar in hk I was out and bought a bottle of tequila and got charged service charge. all he did was get the bottle and handed it to me. they tried to charge me 20£ for this "service"

Just me
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 11:38:31 AM »

In some Vegas eateries they surcharge 18% for parties of 8 or more. WTF is that all about? Why should it make any difference, you are after all bringing more money into the place.

That is very common in the US for groups.
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 04:53:24 PM »

Not only do you not have to pay it....you legally dont have to pay the full bill if you dont think the meal experience was worth it.
You can pay what you think is a fair price....leave your name and address..... and they can bring a civil action against you for the difference if they want!

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 05:42:38 PM »

Surely if the restaurant wanted to charge an additional 12.5% on top of the price of the food and drinks, the simplest solution is to increase all their prices by....12.5%?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: