blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 03:56:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272772 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Service
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Service  (Read 7612 times)
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 08:15:56 PM »

Surely if the restaurant wanted to charge an additional 12.5% on top of the price of the food and drinks, the simplest solution is to increase all their prices by....12.5%?

The service charge is split between the waiting/kitchen staff, it doesn't go to the restaurant.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 08:39:07 PM »

Surely if the restaurant wanted to charge an additional 12.5% on top of the price of the food and drinks, the simplest solution is to increase all their prices by....12.5%?

The service charge is split between the waiting/kitchen staff, it doesn't go to the restaurant.

They could do that from the money taken from the food anyway.  If it costs £100 and they take out £12.50, does it matter if they call it a 12.5% service charge or if it's just £12.50 taken from the price for the food (and the total price goes towards the service, the utility bills, ingredients, rent, etc.).

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 08:41:38 PM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 09:10:08 PM »

I would say it matters because if you add 12.5% to the menu price that restaurant will look expensive compared to everyone else and the business will suffer. It's a seperate charge because it's unrelated to the restaurant and their overheads, it's a gratuity from you directly to the staff. And as such you don't have to pay it if you don't want to. If it was quoted as the price on the menu you would be obligated to pay it.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 09:23:32 PM »

I would say it matters because if you add 12.5% to the menu price that restaurant will look expensive compared to everyone else and the business will suffer. It's a seperate charge because it's unrelated to the restaurant and their overheads, it's a gratuity from you directly to the staff. And as such you don't have to pay it if you don't want to. If it was quoted as the price on the menu you would be obligated to pay it.

So the difference is just the obligation side, and the perception in terms of comparative costs to customers? 

I'm not sure how many people would pick one restaurant over another because a steak in one costs £20 and £25 in the other, and in the £25 one there isn't an additional service charge.  Would people do that?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 10:11:50 PM »

I wouldn't eat in a restaurant that forced me to tip staff by including it in the price of the food.

I think there are a lot of people who would pick choice over no choice.

If people don't think the service charge reflects the level of service they received simply ask for it to be taken off the bill.

Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 02:15:42 AM »

If I spot a service charge on my bill then I will refuse to pay it. I will also not tip the staff. And the last thing I do is make a point of telling them this.

If I think the service is good then I will happily tip, but do not dare presume to include it in the bill yourself.

And the other thing is it's a good way to con a double tip. I've done it before where I've just glanced at the total and mentally added on the 10%. And then someone else has spotted the service charge added on. GTFO.

Blue text
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 02:24:33 AM »

R u telling me you don't have to pay it ?   Lol fmel all these years I've paid it and didn't realise sigh....

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 03:05:10 AM »

R u telling me you don't have to pay it ?   Lol fmel all these years I've paid it and didn't realise sigh....

They have service charge at harvester?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 07:03:44 AM »

as I said earlier it will turn people away if they are more expensive than next door. I know people who refuse to goto certain pubd as the drinks are 20p more expensive

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 09:46:06 AM »

They have service charge at harvester?

Some of us have frequented eating establishments where the height of cullinary excelllance doesnt stop at Piri piri sauce...

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 09:56:23 AM »

Service charge is entirely optional and you can take it off and set your own.

I normally top up the 12.5% by an extra £30 at the places I go to in London regularly though.   It's a relatively small amount on the bill and makes a huge difference to being able to get tables when they are fully booked, get the best tables location wise and get amazing service. 
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 12:28:03 PM »

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 12:54:08 PM »

Who are those guys?
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 12:54:35 PM »

Who are those guys?

Level?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 01:00:23 PM »

Who are those guys?

I was about to ask the same thing.

Some obscure TV actors, one assumes?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: