blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:20:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  EPT Scam
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EPT Scam  (Read 1702 times)
ForthThistle

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2013, 10:15:55 AM »

Looks like there could be a Scam going on at EPT Barcelona.

Players have been having issue's with room Keys and apparently a Laptop has went missing and then was returned.
People are saying that potential Trojan/Malicious virus/Key logger Program could be applied.

Really scary stuff for Online Poker Players.

Link here
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/29/news-views-gossip/urgent-hotel-rooms-arts-ept-barcelona-broken-into-plant-trojans-laptops-1368996/ 

APAT NLHE Southern European Champion 2010
Take on Tikay February League Winner 2011

Rastafish throws himself headfirst into the railbirds, arms outstretched but the sea of bodies parts and Rastafish misses and crashes through the barrier on all fours.
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 04:00:55 AM »

Yeah. I have followed this thread too. It is proper James Bond stuff. Luckily I am so smashed I have figured it out.

The anti gambling lobby in the U.S. have hired a Jason Bourne/David Niven style character to slur the name of Internet poker.

Josh is in the clear. YeeeeHaaaaa.

tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 05:19:58 AM »

Probably a daft question knowing me , if you think your laptops compromised buy a new one ?
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:41:21 AM »

Probably a daft question knowing me , if you think your laptops compromised buy a new one ?

Possibly.  You can back up your data, and then format the drive(s). Or you could backup your data and replace the hard drives.  Not read the thread yet, but any laptop should have adequate security to prevent others accessing it - and I'm guessing the ones hacked didn't even have simple login password?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 09:04:16 AM »

Also, and we've discussed this before, if you give me 5 minutes on your laptop I can get all the passwords you've saved in your browser (if you do this, and many people do), if you're using IE, Chrome or Firefox (unless you're using a master password to encrypt all your saved passwords in Firefox).

So even if the keylogger doesn't have a chance to do its thing, the passwords to gmail, hotmail, amazon, forums and any other sites used and the password is saved to the browser, will be potentially compromised already on these laptops.  So these passwords will need to be changed immediately (from a safe/clean computer), especially if the bad practice of using the same password across different sites has been used.  Once access to some of these sites has been achieved, it's possible to 'social engineer' access to other sites and really take-over someone's identity on the internet.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:07:43 AM »

Also, and we've discussed this before, if you give me 5 minutes on your laptop I can get all the passwords you've saved in your browser (if you do this, and many people do), if you're using IE, Chrome or Firefox (unless you're using a master password to encrypt all your saved passwords in Firefox).

So even if the keylogger doesn't have a chance to do its thing, the passwords to gmail, hotmail, amazon, forums and any other sites used and the password is saved to the browser, will be potentially compromised already on these laptops.  So these passwords will need to be changed immediately (from a safe/clean computer), especially if the bad practice of using the same password across different sites has been used.  Once access to some of these sites has been achieved, it's possible to 'social engineer' access to other sites and really take-over someone's identity on the internet.

I always said you were a wrong 'un Kin.

Ah! The element of surprise
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 03:15:21 PM »

I always said you were a wrong 'un Kin.

The idea of someone getting access to my accounts and stealing my online 'identity' scares the shit out of me. 

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/all/

(some of the flaws and holes in that process have since been closed, but I'm sure there are methods people can use to do similar damage).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 03:18:37 PM by kinboshi » Logged

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 04:28:58 PM »

Simple rule: if you think ur laptop or pc is compromised reformat and reinstall no need to but a new one:

Also as an IT consultant I can tell you compromising machines is easy and if u really know what your doing undetectable from scans

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
corkeye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 04:35:30 PM »

Not being funny but I'm amazed this kind of thing isn't more commonplace than it actually is. These young lads that have all tod money all staying in the same place? They are a goldmine for thieves. All these kids will have expensive laptops, iPads probably a shit load of money lying about in their rooms.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: