blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:12:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272479 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  WCOOP line check
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WCOOP line check  (Read 1998 times)
TL900

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2013, 04:25:57 AM »

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/4782653_751E93BFF7

villian runs 18/13 over 200 hands 7% call open from the sb.

Hes a loser over a tiny sample at $80 abi

hes new to the table so no dynamics or specific table reads

thoughts?

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
welsh1980

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:57:08 PM »

thoughts?

thoughts?
probs check turn and give up on river .
the rage

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 05:45:08 PM »

I agree with the previous poster that you should check behind on the turn and give it up on the river. I've never played at this level, but, i thought that your flop C bet sizing looked a bit on the small size, giving the big stack decent odds to call with a draw. ( although i guess that's prob what you wanted). I think the turn is an awful card and I would have definitely checked behind. now you have to cut your losses.
 Having said that, the only logical hand that springs to mind, thast's beating you is 97, so the question is, would villian peel with that. I would say, quite possibly. I think villian would check/ call or check/ fold the river with all other made hands, especially after you flatted his turn re-raise
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:59:11 PM by the rage » Logged
Oxford_HRV

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:58:54 PM »

just three bet all of it on the turn

i'm never ever checking back the turn here we lose tons of value v straight draws and T8

To win at poker is to not have to play
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 06:01:29 PM »

Why are we checking the turn? We are scared of exactly 74 and 79. 74 rarely peels from the small blind in my opinion and 79 might not either. As we discussed TL I think the river is very close. We could perhaps looks at reraising the turn. We have one of the best spots and he can have quite a few two pairs/sets (I guess we block 56, T6/T5 are virtually nonexistant, 86 is blocked too) himself. I think I flat as well, but it is worth considering. I think I'd fold the river but why would he shove a 7. If he puts us on AA the only reason to bet so big is to get us to fold. What would villain do with T9 here?

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »

Why is an 8 an awful card ?

Fun hand, pretty vomit worthy spot. I really want to hero river but would play hand same as you in game.

What's worst hand you call ?

Definitely don't like 3b turn, just looks so strong he folds all his bluffs and a huge amount of hands that we beat. If we 3b we maybe stack 55, that's basically it, he may even hero fold 55 if we 3b turn.

Obv I don't play 1ks online, look forward to others responses, in b4 Pads says fold turn.
the rage

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 07:20:27 PM »

Why is an 8 an awful card ?

your right it's not really that awful, considering we have flopped a set. but on balance, i do think that the 8 and 9 are the only two cards which we have to worry about. There is an outside chance that he has called with 74 suited, or even 67, given his big stack and good pot odds pre flop, but i still think 97 is more likely. I cant see how he jams the river with a bluff after we have flatted his re-raise on the turn.
I'm here to learn though. So it's all good. Smiley
T_Mar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 09:50:27 PM »

Dont play stakes but my thoughts are his c/r turn range must be pretty much nailed to sets, 2 pair and 7x pair / draw combo hands he's semi bluffing with (?), i like calling the c/r and letting him fire again when the river bricks (especially with just over psb left)... not sure you can do anything but fold river
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:13:58 AM by T_Mar » Logged
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 06:27:47 AM »

probs check turn and give up on river .

I agree with the previous poster that you should check behind on the turn and give it up on the river.

Why do you guys want to check the turn?

I don't think I'd ever even consider checking this turn.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
the rage

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 11:47:11 AM »

Why do you guys want to check the turn?

I don't think I'd ever even consider checking this turn.
[/quote]

My thinking was that the 8 on the turn was one of the very few cards that could possibly complete a draw to beat our hand. I thought that villian would probably, but not definitely, raise pre with 88, 99, TT. So that by checking behind we can use our position to see the turn which hopefully (but not in this case) pairs and gives us the nuts, rather than face a check-raise on the turn. I felt that by checking behind we would control the pot until we were more certain of whether or not we were ahead or not.
 I think that if villian didn't have a stright on the turn, he probably does on the river. I would expect him to check the river with 2pair or a set.
I guess you all think that checking the turn, just in case the 8 got him there, is far too weak and is missing a chance to build the pot, in order to get the lot in on the river.
Trying to put myself in villian's shoes. I'm thinking that he's more likely to flat the turn with a drawing hand which has picked up some showdown equity, such as 78. Whereas if the 8 has completed his straight draw, he may check-raise, hoping to get it all in on the turn, if he believes that overpairs are our most likely holding.
I've underlined the part where i am probably going wrong in my game. ie-pl;aying too weakly, nittily, passively. But, i still haven't been convinced YET why checking behind on the turn is so bad.
ps-At the moment, i can't win a $5 tournament, let alone one of this size. so bear with me please  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:56:57 AM by the rage » Logged
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 01:48:38 PM »

D/w I don't think anyone minds people having a splash as long as they listen. We did once have a topic with about 10 of the best mtt players in the UK telling someone they were wrong and he just wouldn't listen. 

I really doubt our opponent 3bets 88/99, simply because he doesn't want to 3bet/fold. He'd rather 3bet a hand he should be folding, ie a hand he cannot profitably call from the small blind with, maybe a hand like ATo or K9s . These hands aren't really strong enough to peel, but are ok hands to 3bet. However, in these positions I doubt the villain has much of a light 3betting range.  3betting TT here is bad in my opinion but this is much much closer than 88 which is a slam dunk call.

The problem with checking the turn is that the only hands this improves are 88/74/79 and we have a lot of doubts as to whether the villain has this hand. I alluded to this earlier. I'd be extremely surprised to see him show up with 74s from the small blind. He would have to be an extremely weak player to do so. 79s is closer but I would still be surprised to see the small blind show up with this.

When we bet the turn we are betting for value, plain and simple. We have 3 of a kind, an extremely strong hand! Just because there happens to be 4 hands that beat us now instead of one doesn't mean we should check. We also need to protect against all those pesky pair+ gutshot and pair+straight draw hands. Giving these hands a free card is bordering on criminal.

I really doubt the villain expects us to stack off with overpairs here. The stack to pot ratio is simply too great to risk all our chips. The crux of the hand is we block a good amount of the villains value range on the turn. We are also unsure of how many 7,s can have.

P.S checking the turn with a set is verrrrrrrry nitty.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
TL900

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 04:43:55 PM »

I think up to the river is totally standard/the best way to play the hand I think checking the turn would be v bad as I dont have any specific reads on him so just betting for pure value against his range is a necessity imo and 3betting the turn as monda said just lets us stack 55 and get stacked by everything better. I felt like he was turning enough stuff into a bluff ott that he cant profitably call but that still has equity 78/77/99 to call the turn x/r but then we basically find the worst river in the deck. I just cant think of a bluff he can have, hes x/c flop OOP 3 way with a guy behind on T65r I dont expect him to turn top pair into a bluff ott because he does well enough vs my range for betting to still call imo (im still betting 78/77/99/T9s ott)

What's worst hand you call ?

TT i think, we beat all his sets that hes jamming for value, not sure though.

Maybe he just totally owned me with some random bs im not sure.

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 05:50:03 PM »

def disagree hes piling sets for value.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
the rage

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 06:20:51 PM »

D/w I don't think anyone minds people having a splash as long as they listen. We did once have a topic with about 10 of the best mtt players in the UK telling someone they were wrong and he just wouldn't listen. 

I really doubt our opponent 3bets 88/99, simply because he doesn't want to 3bet/fold. He'd rather 3bet a hand he should be folding, ie a hand he cannot profitably call from the small blind with, maybe a hand like ATo or K9s . These hands aren't really strong enough to peel, but are ok hands to 3bet. However, in these positions I doubt the villain has much of a light 3betting range.  3betting TT here is bad in my opinion but this is much much closer than 88 which is a slam dunk call.

The problem with checking the turn is that the only hands this improves are 88/74/79 and we have a lot of doubts as to whether the villain has this hand. I alluded to this earlier. I'd be extremely surprised to see him show up with 74s from the small blind. He would have to be an extremely weak player to do so. 79s is closer but I would still be surprised to see the small blind show up with this.

When we bet the turn we are betting for value, plain and simple. We have 3 of a kind, an extremely strong hand! Just because there happens to be 4 hands that beat us now instead of one doesn't mean we should check. We also need to protect against all those pesky pair+ gutshot and pair+straight draw hands. Giving these hands a free card is bordering on criminal.

I really doubt the villain expects us to stack off with overpairs here. The stack to pot ratio is simply too great to risk all our chips. The crux of the hand is we block a good amount of the villains value range on the turn. We are also unsure of how many 7,s can have.

P.S checking the turn with a set is verrrrrrrry nitty.
I am listening. Thankyou for your reply.
I did wonder, shortly after posting, whether my statement about villiain prob 3  betting 88, 99, TT was a bit dubious. I know, my natural instinct would be to flat with 88 and 99 and probably TT too, if I'm honest. I  am aware too that I have a serious nittyness problem, so i thought maybe, at this level, and such deep stacks these guys would play it more aggressively than a nit like myself would be inclined to.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: