blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:26:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272538 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Ergo-chair Suggestions
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ergo-chair Suggestions  (Read 3727 times)
jjandellis
« on: November 04, 2013, 09:31:40 PM »

Spending a fair whack on chiropractor at the moment. He's advised me not sit for long periods.

Bit of a bugger, when some work is office based...and then there's driving to/from poker, sitting at poker tables...or sitting at the computer playing online!

So I wanna get myself a nice ergo chair - without spending a fortune. In fact I'm a tight arse and don't wanna spend > £100.

Any suggestions?
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:40:28 PM »

Set yourself up with a standing desk.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 01:10:36 AM »

Sounds like you're planning to sit even more.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 07:09:24 AM »

Not sure you'll be able to get a decent ergonomic chair for under £100, so Andrew's standing desk setup might be the most practical solution.

Out of interest, what is the chiropractor doing? You say you're spending a fair whack on it.   

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 12:44:30 PM »

I'm speaking to him re: chairs today.

I've got 2 sessions a week with him for 6 weeks, then scaling back.

Lots of wear and tear seems to have added up. But basically looking at my pelvis been out of line.

Physio this morning too!

I'm totally convinced that major bits of your skeletal structure being 'out of line' and paid 'professionals' putting them back into place for a fee is absolute bollocks.

IMO of course.

The older I get, the better I was.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »

I'm speaking to him re: chairs today.

I've got 2 sessions a week with him for 6 weeks, then scaling back.

Lots of wear and tear seems to have added up. But basically looking at my pelvis been out of line.

Physio this morning too!

I'm totally convinced that major bits of your skeletal structure being 'out of line' and paid 'professionals' putting them back into place for a fee is absolute bollocks.

IMO of course.

I'm with the Dog on this one.  Would like to see 'evidence' to the contrary.  It always amazes me that chiropractic 'fixes' always seem to involve a course of repeated treatments as well.  Imagine if you took your car to be serviced, and they said you had to pay to have something done to it every fortnight to 'realign' it...

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »

You can't compare a car to the human body though. Two completely different things. Other than that, it's a great example.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »

You can't compare a car to the human body though. Two completely different things. Other than that, it's a great example.

You can compare yours to this one.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 05:09:25 PM »

Haha, I want a car like that.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 05:09:48 PM »

All I know is that whenever I have gone to chiropractors with back problems they have fixed it and relieved the pain.  One set of adjustments will give relief but the body does require several manipulations to adjust.

Just speaking from experience here..............
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 05:57:32 PM »

All I know is that whenever I have gone to chiropractors with back problems they have fixed it and relieved the pain.  One set of adjustments will give relief but the body does require several manipulations to adjust.

I have chronic joint pain - massage relieves the pain; put it doesn't fix anything so whether you get any relief is not necessarily a reliable guide to whether any good is being done.

I think that at best chiropractors (and osteopaths) do what a good physiotherapist would do - except they're less qualified and as a result in some cases do it in a way that causes other problems or damage.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 06:30:51 PM »

I have chronic joint pain - massage relieves the pain; put it doesn't fix anything so whether you get any relief is not necessarily a reliable guide to whether any good is being done.

I think that at best chiropractors (and osteopaths) do what a good physiotherapist would do - except they're less qualified and as a result in some cases do it in a way that causes other problems or damage.

Not sure saying chiropractors are less qualified than a physiotherapist is correct.  To qualify as a chiropractor you have to take a 4 or 5 year undergraduate course.  The courses cover subjects such as anatomy, biomechanics, pathology, physiology, orthopaedics and diagnosis, as well as practical training in adjustment and supervised clinical training.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 06:41:17 PM »

Not sure saying chiropractors are less qualified than a physiotherapist is correct.  To qualify as a chiropractor you have to take a 4 or 5 year undergraduate course.  The courses cover subjects such as anatomy, biomechanics, pathology, physiology, orthopaedics and diagnosis, as well as practical training in adjustment and supervised clinical training.

Chiropractic is a complementary and alternative medicine

Chiropractic was founded in 1895 by magnetic healer D.D. Palmer in Davenport.

Controversy is due to chiropractic's use of terminology that is not always amenable to scientific investigation
Wikipedia.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 10:18:28 PM »

Chiropractors spend years studying woo:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-end-of-chiropractic/

lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 11:21:14 PM »

I had to start going to the chiro regularly as of about 4-5 months ago. I was going every week for a while because from where I'd been sitting for such long hours and shamefully hunching I'd been getting all sorts of problems including an aggravated shoulder injury.

I'd had physio in the past but the problem kept coming back. This chap I went to see was physio and chiro and he was spot on. My posture has improved and with the help of a few stretches a day my back feels amazing again!

As for chairs, I've got an Herman Miller Aeron chair, it cost me £850 but I had lots of money back then and thought it was worth the investment given how much I'm sat at the computer. They are definitely excellent, if you aren't going to be a tight arse you can find 2nd hand ones for around £250 as some offices are kitted out with them and if they go bust then they go for cheap.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: