blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2024, 03:17:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272983 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  MC's 2014 grind...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MC's 2014 grind...  (Read 21314 times)
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« on: January 01, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »

I've decided to make a thread for the purposes of motivation. I think it could well turn out to be a playing log more than a diary, but I figured if it gives me a shot at motivating me and isn't too time consuming, then it's worth a try. 2013 was a decent year for me (I just wrote about it on my blog here, but was somewhat saved by my 3rd place in the DTD Monte Carlo, which is obviously something you can't account for. My online winnings took a dip from both 2012 and 2011. I was on pace for a really good year but managed to make virtually no money in the last 3 months.

I played 1400 hours last year, up from a paltry 1100 in 2012, but I still had huge chunks of time off and think I could play a decent amount more. I was considering going for SNE or the TLB leaderboard for the purpose of motivation, but realistically it would mean altering my playing schedule which allows me to see plenty of my two young children, and help take them to bed. So I'm aiming for a lofty hours-played goal instead.

I have some other general goals for the year that I think I will try and achieve via monthly goals as I'm not sure of an exact goal to set. I really need to study more frequently than I do. Going through hh's a couple of times a week is about the max I manage, but it's just not enough and I think I'm not maximizing my hourly rate, so that needs to be sorted out this year. I took up running about 15 months ago, and really enjoy it, but haven't been out for a run since the end of October. I want to make sure I keep going out for runs all year around, and do some extra exercise on top of that. I would also really like to record some music. I haven't recorded a song in approximately 9 years and I just want to make some tracks, if only for my own benefit. I don't expect it to result in more than a few token listens via Facebook, and gaining some ammo to embarrass the kids with when they are older, but I have recently bought a bunch of recording equipment, and would at the very least like to record a few songs throughout the year.

I managed a grand total of 4 blog posts on blog spot last year so I'm also hoping this thread will give me some content to cross-post on there and get it a bit more active again.

2014 Goals
[ ] 2000 hours playing poker
+ study more
+ keep fit
+ record a few songs

January Goals
[ ] 180 hours playing poker
[ ] Study 15 minutes+ before each session
[ ] Look at daily results only on a 2 day delay (I'm a mental game fish with checking how I'm doing constantly)
[ ] Go for 14 runs
[ ] 450 minutes exercise (on top of running)
[ ] Record a song

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
youthnkzR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 02:19:47 PM »

IN! VBOL for 2014 mate!
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 02:19:55 PM »

Good luck with this mate. Looking forward to following this.

Ah! The element of surprise
ForthThistle

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 02:24:31 PM »

GL Sir.

Subscribed.

APAT NLHE Southern European Champion 2010
Take on Tikay February League Winner 2011

Rastafish throws himself headfirst into the railbirds, arms outstretched but the sea of bodies parts and Rastafish misses and crashes through the barrier on all fours.
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »

GL Sir.

Subscribed.

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »

Best of luck James, I was about to set up an identical diary/blog called '2014' with goals and a bit of a diary so now it's going to look even less original!

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 02:34:56 PM »

[ ] Look at daily results only on a 2 day delay (I'm a mental game fish with checking how I'm doing constantly)
Do you mean you won't know how you did on Monday until Wednesday?

Subscribed anyway, maybe we can have another rap battle to spur you on
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 02:38:26 PM »

Subscribed. Without sounding like a complete stalker i've always been quite interested in your life.

GL for 2014.

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 03:10:52 PM »

Gl James.

What is your general mix of games these days, you have been playing more mtts than in the past recently, right?
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 04:12:12 PM »

Best of luck James, I was about to set up an identical diary/blog called '2014' with goals and a bit of a diary so now it's going to look even less original!

Meh, you should still do it Smiley

Do you mean you won't know how you did on Monday until Wednesday?

Subscribed anyway, maybe we can have another rap battle to spur you on

Yeah that's what I meant. I'm way too concerned with how I'm doing on any single day. I could just not look for a whole month or w/e but this way I still get to see how I'm doing generally, but it's hard to care exactly how you did 2 or 3 days previously when you've played a bunch after that.

Hehe sounds good to me

Gl James.

What is your general mix of games these days, you have been playing more mtts than in the past recently, right?

Yeah man, I just play most things on the MTT schedule and mix in 180s, 45s and 18-man SNGs when I'm low on tables.

Last year I played 2500 18-mans, 1250 45-mans, 2000 180-mans and about 6000 MTTs.

Thanks everyone else for the good luck wishes. It sucks how New Years Day tends to be a false start. Me and Liz had a rare night out together with another couple we're close to and I certainly didn't wake up wanting to play poker! On the grind from tomorrow!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 04:26:08 PM »

I hope you do this James - if nothing else, it will definitely help motivate you, having to out yourself after a bad day is a tremendous incentive, and keeping a long-term log of progress helps immensely.

I've been doing a similar thing (though on a much smaller scale than you) Next Door since September, & I update it there daily, without fail, win or lose. It gets a LOT of views. Think I've recorded my progress there daily now over around 1,500 DYM games in a 3 month period, & it has helped me more than I could have ever imagined. In fact, I'd have done it here, but I'd have been mocked somewhat for my small-ball nittiness, & the hardcore boys would have had a ball with me. You'll be just fine though. Good luck James, look forward to following your progress.

Incidentally, if it helps (it does help me) I report daily & then monthly on.....

Daily Volume

Games Won v Games Lost, which I call "Game-Count".

Daily Profit/Loss, colour coded in Blue/Red.

Average profit/loss per game (daily)

I also repeat all those "month to date".

I include my Reward Points (rakeback) daily, too.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:38:09 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 04:42:04 PM »

What sort of music do you write?

What are your fitness goals?

Good luck mate
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 05:06:06 PM »

Have I made the first page!?

Looking forward to following glgl

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012