blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 04:32:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272877 Posts in 66758 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  StakesAndLadders.com – a new way of punting on sports
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: StakesAndLadders.com – a new way of punting on sports  (Read 60571 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2014, 02:57:05 PM »

Glad to see people enjoying the concept. I like it. Will be playing along.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »

Hey! Thanks everyone for the positive comments about the site. I am really glad that you guys like the concept, and have enjoyed playing the games. I am also glad that two Blonde's - nirvana and bagel - won pools yesterday, and that The Camel looks nailed on for the Premiership one.

And yes Keith, that was a deliberate bock! Wink

Having the support of the Blonde community really means a lot to me, since S&L is something that I have such a lot invested in. However, I am not asking favours from you guys... I think the product/concept we are offering is something that many of you will really like and genuinely enjoy playing.

BTW, the negative feedback is appreciated too, and is very important. According to our software developers, by the end of play today it will be possible for visitors to the site to get into the pools lobby and look around before they decide whether to register. This was on the to-do-list anyway, but as a result of the feedback here it got moved up the list to become a top priority.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 04:07:42 PM by Honeybadger » Logged
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2014, 05:08:11 PM »

You should put a little more on your Facebook page and you'll get some shares, it may help a bit.

swinebag22

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2014, 05:23:04 PM »

Signed up for this from roughly the start. The website is now so much better than the original in terms of layout and user friendliness.

Was pleased that my 3800 points can be converted to cash and have gone for a big spin tonight.

Will definitely play more
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2014, 06:17:49 PM »

You should put a little more on your Facebook page and you'll get some shares, it may help a bit.

Thanks, yes you are right ofc. We will have our FB page active very soon, within the next 24 hours I hope. We've just been trying to get through launch first! Our Twitter account is active already @SkillAndLuck. Obviously social media is going be crucial to us... we are hoping to grow mainly through word of mouth/virally rather than spending fortunes on TV ads etc. So FB shares and retweets are going to be very valuable for us.
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2014, 06:24:36 PM »

Signed up for this from roughly the start. The website is now so much better than the original in terms of layout and user friendliness.

Was pleased that my 3800 points can be converted to cash and have gone for a big spin tonight.

Will definitely play more

Hi Rob. Thanks for your support when we were in our pre-launch developmental stage. Hopefully you can spin those points you earned into something bigger!
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2014, 06:27:54 PM »

I registered and had a play around with the 500 points that were given. I think it's pretty cool, not to fussed about the first screen, once your inside the lobby it's all pretty straight forward and easy to use. I like websites that are easy to use and found this fairly simple.

Not entirely sure how much I would use it but at the moment I would class it as more a fun way to have a gamble than a serious way of making money through sports betting, that being said I'm sure there is some sort of angle that if I studied I could work out how to make money from it.

I'll keep an open mind and probably pop by again. Good luck with it and well done for trying something different.

^^^
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2014, 07:11:09 PM »

Problem is you against sports betters! who know more then me Smiley pure luck pools needed lol *cough keef*
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2014, 07:15:23 PM »

I'm 1/43 in the baby weekend special with just superbowl to come

Boom! Nicely done sir.

Luckbox Wink

Ha, thanks. Benefited from the last 2 questions being ones where a range as an answer, rather than a specific number, might have had me in trouble

sola virtus nobilitat
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2014, 08:00:43 PM »

Problem is you against sports betters! who know more then me Smiley pure luck pools needed lol *cough keef*

Ha ha, this is a really interesting issue - we have discussed the balance of skill and luck a lot over the last couple of years. And there is a divergence of opinion within S&L over just how much weighting should be given to each.

When we first had the concept I thought that the games should be heavily skill-based. There is a ton of luck in any form of gambling of course, but I really liked the idea of putting thought into my selections and trying to out-guess the field. To apply skill and knowledge. But as time has gone by, I am gravitating more towards the luck side of the continuum.

Speaking as a user of S&L, rather than an owner... I am most definitely a mug punter. Pretty much everyone reading this thread will know more about sport than me, and be able to make better selections. Yes, I do enjoy thinking about who to pick in my fantasy team, or trying to figure out how many corners will be given in a football match... and I like the fact that it feels like I am exercising skill and judgement. But in truth I know that this is mainly an illusion, and I am really just making random guesses compared to some others.

But I actually love this! I like the fact that I can even just pick my answers randomly and - whilst I will have a slightly smaller chance of winning than a shrewdie - I still have almost the same chance. Because of the luck element.

I have come to realise that what truly appeals to me about playing on S&L is THE SWEAT. I love watching sport on the telly whilst at the same time sweating my pool entry; cheering for two more corners, a red card, a late goal or whatever. And I love rubbing my friends down when I beat them in a pool... especially if I know they have spent a lot longer on their selections than me! This is what I am paying for when I enter a game - the enhancement to my enjoyment of a sporting event through having a great sweat experience. And rub-down potential.

So I have come full circle on this one I guess. I now personally prefer questions which are heavily luck-based. They give just as much of a sweat as the more skillful ones, but I don't have to put too much effort into selecting my answers.

Thus, I am pleased to say that most of the questions in our games are pretty luck-based. Many of them are actually straight 50/50s. And of course because it is pools betting, if you do happen to choose a very unlikely answer... well, you probably have it on your own! So the rare times you get that answer correct, no-one else is likely to share the points with you. Of course there is also skill/knowledge involved, and there will definitely be guys who make good money long-term on S&L. But in the short-term anyone can win - even me! - and I don't mind that I am losing out a little bit to someone like Keith since I am paying for the sweat. Plus, it makes it all the more fun when I do beat him in a pool Smiley
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:03:03 PM by Honeybadger » Logged
roscopiko

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2014, 08:03:01 PM »

In and dragged a few other mug punters along.

Best of luck with it, really like the site and concept.

shit @ poker since 1998
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2014, 09:16:44 PM »

I'm in!

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2014, 09:25:34 PM »

In and dragged a few other mug punters along.

Best of luck with it, really like the site and concept.

Thanks for joining, and for encouraging others to join too. I'm glad you like the site. Good luck in the pools! Smiley
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2014, 09:29:41 PM »

I'm in!

Yay! Smiley

Good luck Chris. Hope you like what we are offering. Not too many pools in the lobby right now, but then it is after 9pm on Monday night. There will be more games available tomorrow. Of course most sporting events take place at weekends, so that is when the lobby is busiest.
bagel
bagel

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2014, 10:09:25 PM »

when roughly do the busier weekend pools start showing in the lobby?

i read camel was leading a weekly prem pool. is there one this weekend?

no joy for me tonight, on it tomorrow..........
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: