blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:45:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  PLOlz
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PLOlz  (Read 10218 times)
Rod

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 04:07:01 PM »

I have to say NLHE is no where near dead!

Gl with getting it going playing PLO I have to reccomend you starting with 50/50 sngs and the $8r $3kgtd 6max PLO @ 23:45 ish is not to be missed!

Also stud8 is a fun game to play, I hope to see some 8 game hh's cus there's so much more than just Holdem and Omaha to play!

Only online cash for NLHE at levels where you can make some reasonable money (qualifier: for rec players). So much information out there, GTO, hardcore grinders - it's a tough game and kudos to anyone who makes a living from it - so tough to catch up and keep up. I wish I did enjoy it or could stomach it, and have the utmost respect for people who get serious volume in. Can grind online MTTs if you're decent, and live is still really soft - all imho ofc!

I definitely embrace 8 game, however barely competent at 2-7. I really enjoy Stud 8 (one of my biggest live wins was in that in LV) and other limit games, so there'll be a few of those for sure.

I'm going to play the APAT WCOAP Festival @ Aspers, Stratford in April - the huge draw for me being the schedule of Stud/Razz/HORSE/PLO8 etc. There'll only be a few tables, and 'only' £50 BI - but screw that for the chance to play a live comp in the UK in these games!
Is there no value in Zoom/Rush NLHE cash still? Pretty sure there will be at the the lower levels 25c/50c and below???

What games are you planning to play at WCOAP?
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 04:32:24 PM »

I look forwards to reading this. My pick for prose from a poshboy2

With regards to crunching plo numbers, make sure lil dave reads the thread and I'm sure  he'll have plenty to give :-)

Thanks, did you see I'm from Essex? Wink

Can't claim poshness, the dressing gown I'm still in isn't monogrammed.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 04:38:38 PM »

Glad to see a decent PLO diary, just recently got into the game lately & I find it really hard to fold pre-flop, I would play most hands if not £000's pre, in fact I only folded one hand in 3 hours when playing at Genting the other week! Looking foward to the updates and PLO hands!
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 04:58:04 PM »

Is there no value in Zoom/Rush NLHE cash still? Pretty sure there will be at the the lower levels 25c/50c and below???

What games are you planning to play at WCOAP?

Ah for sure, I expect there's still value at those stakes and below.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't really see a route for me to be successful at online NLHE cash and getting to the level I'd want to be, whereas I can see a route in PLO. Combine that with the greater complexity in PLO I think there's more of an opportunity long term.

As for the WCOAP, am in for the Stud, Mixed, Antes Only, Shootout, Razz, Main, PLO8 and Heads Up. May sack one or two off as got the full 6 days in an apartment so would be nice to do something other than sit in a cardroom for the entire time. Depends how well it's going and whether I pick up any early traction for Player of the Year - with Warren binking the cash in Stoke I'm more than a main event behind him so pretty unlikely.
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 05:01:14 PM »

Glad to see a decent PLO diary, just recently got into the game lately & I find it really hard to fold pre-flop, I would play most hands if not £000's pre, in fact I only folded one hand in 3 hours when playing at Genting the other week! Looking foward to the updates and PLO hands!

Hey! No promises!

At low stakes PLO comps, just having good pre-flop hand selection is enough to put you massively ahead of the curve. It can be frustrating playing 10/2 when everyone else around the table is at 70/0 (not uncommon) but you'll pick up loads of value from having dominating draws and redraws, let alone just flopping the nuts and getting it all from 2p.

But if you do play most hands pre...which Genting are you at? Wink
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 05:10:21 PM »

Ha - I go to Genting Sheffield, but a PLO game only gets started on a very rare occasion.

I got it in with the bare nuts on a 5-6-7 board a few weeks ago, with no re-draw and chopped it, didn't have any idea about re-draws, just knew I had the nuts, so bad Cheesy
Rod

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 08:56:33 PM »

Ha - I go to Genting Sheffield, but a PLO game only gets started on a very rare occasion.

I got it in with the bare nuts on a 5-6-7 board a few weeks ago, with no re-draw and chopped it, didn't have any idea about re-draws, just knew I had the nuts, so bad Cheesy
I guess it depends how deep you are but in most games getting it in with the nuts can't be that bad can it? Especially live or in 100BB deep online PLO games?
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 09:59:14 PM »

I got it in with the bare nuts on a 5-6-7 board a few weeks ago, with no re-draw and chopped it, didn't have any idea about re-draws, just knew I had the nuts, so bad :D
I guess it depends how deep you are but in most games getting it in with the nuts can't be that bad can it? Especially live or in 100BB deep online PLO games?

Your equity with the bare straight can drop off a cliff even against mediocre holdings, as an example:

• T987 vs 9832 on 765r is around 61% favourite - that's just a straight redraw with one backdoor flush.
  • Same flop, add in AK77 and 9832 now has just 23.5% equity with the nuts in a 3 way pot. Put a flush draw out there too and it's 15%.

The more competent the opponents, the worse shape you'll be in - nut straight on a flushing board is pretty much worthless on the flop if deep or playing 5+PLO.

Can obviously mitigate this by playing the right starting hands, so even if you don't have a big redraw you can at least add a couple of boat outs, or blockers etc which all go toward swinging a few % back your way.
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 09:44:39 PM »

We all know the score. A return to the game fueled by anticipation and hope - only to be rudely awoken by running as well as Stephen Hawking.

Weekend's are a bit of an issue too. Am such a mahoosive sports fan I end up doing nothing outside sport watching. Shouldn't have bothered as the Fury and Chisora fights were f awful - and I knew Johnson wouldn't come to fight.

Still, better get back on the saddle, trying to amuse myself by sitting on four simultaneous trains to bustville in the MTOPS Stud 8 - trying to find Freeroll City but keep getting diverted. FML.
hiamchris

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 04:25:23 AM »

As on apat good luck with this Dave
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »

awesome, I'll look forward to seeing some hands!!! I love talking about PLO it makes me very happy

you just in tournaments or cash games as well?

In that hand with the KK I think the river is a pretty clear chk/back - I know you wanna nick a couple of quid of 777 and if it was HU i'd be right behind a value bet but when 2 players call the flop it's just so so likely one has a flush (speshly when we consider we have 3/4 of the kings accounted for) even with the 4th spade hitting the turn I still think it's unlikely that a 9 or J high flush would Value bet itself and the way the hand has played no-one is folding any flush.

GL mate, will be following Smiley

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 03:13:41 PM »

awesome, I'll look forward to seeing some hands!!! I love talking about PLO it makes me very happy

this.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 01:15:28 PM »

As on apat good luck with this Dave

Thanks Chris, think a blog here will have a bit more traction than on APAT Smiley
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »

you just in tournaments or cash games as well?

In that hand with the KK I think the river is a pretty clear chk/back - I know you wanna nick a couple of quid of 777 and if it was HU i'd be right behind a value bet but when 2 players call the flop it's just so so likely one has a flush (speshly when we consider we have 3/4 of the kings accounted for) even with the 4th spade hitting the turn I still think it's unlikely that a 9 or J high flush would Value bet itself and the way the hand has played no-one is folding any flush.

Thanks Lil Dave Smiley

My main grounding is in tournaments, mainly PLO and PLO8 (makes me even more moist than PLO), but the Stud games too. Even enjoy the limit variety. However I dislike uber long online sessions so (to fit better with a job I'll hopefully have shortly) I'll probably switch to shorter, sharper bursts of cash alongside the odd tournie schedule.

Ty for the PHA, pretty much agreed with that somewhere in the depths of my mind when I was playing the hand. I'll try and find suitably interesting spots Smiley
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 06:32:55 PM »

A pretty busy few days.

I'd finished a short project as an Analyst on a strategy project at my last place of work in December. Applied for three jobs internally before I left. For job A the senior management of the department AND HR wanted me to go for it - didn't even get to a first interview. Job B I had the backing of one of the extended board, that didn't help me either, though I did at least get an interview out of that one. Job C was the one I wanted, and was successful - happy days after two years out of permanent employment. Unfortunately for me the job was in the green energy sector, and with ridiculous party politics in play the goalposts have been moved and the job disappeared after a review, leaving me high and dry.

Anywho, met my ex-manager and some of the PAs for lunch (not many people better to be friendly with than a PA!) and have managed to wangle some temp work. Which means...

Vegas (and Florida) is go this year! WSOP, NASCAR and DisneyWorld await, and I can get to wear my cowboy hat.

Should be good for my online volume too - always find I enjoy poker a lot more when I have a job.

Spent Saturday playing board games inappropriately, and played a few comps on Sunday. Managed 47/723 for $73.74 in the $33 Omania to not quite cover my small session. Not too much interesting, but will find a hand or two to post.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: