blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:59:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  PLOlz
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PLOlz  (Read 10221 times)
dwh103

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2014, 11:53:47 PM »

Long time lurker, occasional RSQ participant. With a hatred of 2+2 and the slow death of The Hendon Mob forum I'm left with just APAT. And just one forum isn't enough. Everyone says 'sign up and post' to the guests - point taken Smiley

Please feel to ask me any reasonable (and some unreasonable) questions, this is my third attempt at a blog, but never knowing whether anyone even gives the slightest shit makes me forget about it. Interactivity makes it fun! Hopefully get to know some new people to challenge me and spur me to up my game, be it in life or poker.

Me:

I'm Dave Howard. The UK poker world is relatively small, so I guess I may have rubbed shoulders with a few of you - especially via The Hendon Mob and APAT. Originally from Essex, but moved to Southampton for university (Economics) in 2003 and been there ever since. Love learning new things, quizzes, especially Pointless and RSQs which is what first brought me here (thanks John Murray).

Poker:

Self-appointed poker hero naturally - hamstrung by life busto and lack of volume. On a serious note, I tried the full time route one time and just did not enjoy it, so happily recreational though I do still have the belief and ambition that I can achieve more than I have done. I've cleared around £20k profit lifetime from MTTs live and online so poker's been good to me - biggest bink of £7.6k at Brighton's 25/25 in December - really hope I have some bigger binks in me sometime! Had a couple of shots online, three at the WSOP and a couple of EPT sides, none to fruition. Boooo.

Life and job busto has caused a few problems, what was a healthy roll has been decimated and I'm starting from below scratch again. I do believe that online NLHE cash is fast approaching unbeatable for rec players out there as it's moving so quickly - I came across some old HHs from 2008 where I had a few shots at $2/$4; man, the gifts I was getting - you wouldn't see it at 0.25/0.50 these day. Anyway, enjoyment is key for me, and that is linked to non-NLHE games (also feel my relative edge is biggest here) - though of course that pretty much rules out live poker and split-pot cash games online. Left with the feeble non-NLHE tournament schedule on Stars, PLO cash online and some live MTTs.

I'll probably do all three, though the title of the blog gives a clue as to where I think I should go. So the bulk of this should hopefully be me playing PLO, posting some hands etc. I'm confident in my base PLO game (certainly in tournaments), but feel I need to work on some of the maths/statistics nuances within. My maths/stats/mental arithmetic ability is ridic good and something I can apply at the tables to a greater extent than most people - just not fully clued up with the PLO side of it and lack deep PLO experience.

Anyone in a similar position, or looking for a PLO/mixed games sounding board, I'd be more than happy to share learning experiences.

Aim: Get to Vegas and play a WSOP event. Be able to have a dedicated poker bankroll again by the end of 2014 (suspect I'll need £5-6k profit this year to make that). Actually play something decent at DTD. Improve my PLO game.

Non-Poker

I love sport. Have dabbled in karate, cricket, rugby, darts, golf, pool and football, also coaching the latter until I screwed up my ankle (lateral collateral ligament, I think) one time too many. Now it's more watching and the occasional sports/fantasy bets over playing - though that'll be another part of the blog as I try and get into better shape before I turn 30. I hate photos of myself, but hoping to go to Vegas for the WSOP this summer with one of my best mates and want some pictorial references to (hopefully) good times! Also been inspired by another good friend of mine, Dwayne Stacey, who's training for the London Marathon - he was pretty much the same build and size as me before he started training.

Just started getting a better diet in - going toward the Paleo route thanks to a previous personal trainer who was awesome and from whom I learnt a lot. Going to combine it with a tilt at the Couch to 5k training plan. I haven't done any running since being forced to do cross country at school. It might be tough as my ankle issues mean I can barely do 9-12 holes of golf without serious pain - but won't know unless I try. Hopefully things get better with less baggage to haul around!

Aim: To reach 16st prior to a planned Vegas jaunt in June. By that time I'm hoping to be able to have run at least two 5k's.

Here's to good luck, for me and you all. Happy hunting.
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 12:37:15 AM »

good luck

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
polerization

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:46:17 AM »

glgl get the lot.
Oxford_HRV

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 06:45:07 AM »

I have to say NLHE is no where near dead!

Gl with getting it going playing PLO I have to reccomend you starting with 50/50 sngs and the $8r $3kgtd 6max PLO @ 23:45 ish is not to be missed!

Also stud8 is a fun game to play, I hope to see some 8 game hh's cus there's so much more than just Holdem and Omaha to play!

To win at poker is to not have to play
Rod

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:43:21 AM »

gl Dave will read with interest
JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 12:00:42 PM »

BOL with it all man Smiley

dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »

I have to say NLHE is no where near dead!

Gl with getting it going playing PLO I have to reccomend you starting with 50/50 sngs and the $8r $3kgtd 6max PLO @ 23:45 ish is not to be missed!

Also stud8 is a fun game to play, I hope to see some 8 game hh's cus there's so much more than just Holdem and Omaha to play!

Only online cash for NLHE at levels where you can make some reasonable money (qualifier: for rec players). So much information out there, GTO, hardcore grinders - it's a tough game and kudos to anyone who makes a living from it - so tough to catch up and keep up. I wish I did enjoy it or could stomach it, and have the utmost respect for people who get serious volume in. Can grind online MTTs if you're decent, and live is still really soft - all imho ofc!

I definitely embrace 8 game, however barely competent at 2-7. I really enjoy Stud 8 (one of my biggest live wins was in that in LV) and other limit games, so there'll be a few of those for sure.

I'm going to play the APAT WCOAP Festival @ Aspers, Stratford in April - the huge draw for me being the schedule of Stud/Razz/HORSE/PLO8 etc. There'll only be a few tables, and 'only' £50 BI - but screw that for the chance to play a live comp in the UK in these games!
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 12:18:40 PM »

Welcome to Blonde and good luck with the games

good to see that the RSQs have tempted you here and I know that you've already entered the current one set by yours truly.
Perhaps other readers will be inspired to join you

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=63225.0

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 01:03:35 PM »

Thanks for the positive vibes all. Inspired me to play a short session. Ran hilariously brutally and busted 4 MTTs in 20 minutes. Had (very) late regged two of those so was relatively short, but still. This blog won't be full of bad beat posts unless I give them or they're uber disgusting, so I'll post the one vaguely interesting hand from the $27 PLO.

My general opinion of the average standard is that it's pretty poor, so I don't like my PFR from EP especially without a suited Ace. Flop and turn seem standard. River's probably a chk/fold, especially if I have time to OPR main villain.

Now feels like a really narrow opponent range where a b/f is right - felt right at the time. So, so rusty.

PokerStars Hand #111750915108: Tournament #862396553, $25.00+$2.50 USD Omaha Pot Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2014/02/13 12:05:11 WET [2014/02/13 7:05:11 ET]
Table '862396553 4' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: j240585 (3000 in chips)
Seat 2: Dimon001 (3000 in chips)
Seat 4: Luckyaces421 (3000 in chips)
Seat 5: Danijelinho (3000 in chips)
Seat 6: dwh103 (3000 in chips)
Seat 7: brooks90 (3000 in chips)
Seat 8: niclas237 (3000 in chips)
Seat 9: frankmatos8 (3000 in chips)
Dimon001: posts small blind 10
Luckyaces421: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to dwh103 [ ]
Danijelinho: calls 20
dwh103: raises 70 to 90
brooks90: folds
niclas237: folds
frankmatos8: calls 90
j240585: folds
Dimon001: folds
Luckyaces421: calls 70
Danijelinho: calls 70
*** FLOP *** [ ]
Luckyaces421: checks
Danijelinho: checks
dwh103: checks
frankmatos8: bets 180
Luckyaces421: calls 180
Danijelinho: folds
dwh103: calls 180
*** TURN *** [ ] []
dwh103: checks
frankmatos8: checks
*** RIVER *** [ ] []
dwh103: bets 260
frankmatos8: calls 260
Luckyaces421: calls 260
*** SHOW DOWN ***
dwh103: shows [ ] (three of a kind, Kings)
frankmatos8: shows [ Two Diamonds ] (a flush, King high)
Luckyaces421: mucks hand
frankmatos8 collected 1690 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1690 | Rake 0
Board [ ]
Seat 1: j240585 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Dimon001 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: Luckyaces421 (big blind) mucked [ Ah]
Seat 5: Danijelinho folded on the Flop
Seat 6: dwh103 showed [ ] and lost with three of a kind, Kings
Seat 7: brooks90 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: niclas237 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: frankmatos8 showed [ Two Diamonds ] and won (1690) with a flush, King high
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 01:04:01 PM »

Welcome to Blonde and good luck with the games

good to see that the RSQs have tempted you here and I know that you've already entered the current one set by yours truly.
Perhaps other readers will be inspired to join you

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=63225.0

Ty David Smiley
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 01:04:32 PM »

Hello David

Regards to your Mum, live update railer of repute for many years I seem to recall!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 01:21:09 PM »

Hello David

Regards to your Mum, live update railer of repute for many years I seem to recall!

Haha, I'll pass it on Tighty - she misses you on the APAT updates!
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 01:37:16 PM »

Hello David

lol, I miss them too. Fun times, updates as they should be

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 02:38:03 PM »

Hello David

lol, I miss them too. Fun times, updates as they should be

Rich, wherever you go there are updates as they should be

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
dakky

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 03:54:40 PM »

I look forwards to reading this. My pick for prose from a poshboy2

With regards to crunching plo numbers, make sure lil dave reads the thread and I'm sure  he'll have plenty to give :-)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: