blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 08:51:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  What are the odds of flopping quads?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are the odds of flopping quads?  (Read 6334 times)
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 11:48:33 AM »

It took me a while to click on that REAL monsteas - Royals, Quads - are rarely worth much, there is no action to be had unless you have a serial thief, a Camel, Penly, Thewy, Bradley type on the table.

The ones, perversely, that get paid best are the siily ones, 7-4 kinda jobbie catching hidden straights.

Sometimes betting it isn't a bad idea.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 12:01:41 PM »

Yeah, but if trips flopped and any one of Thewy, Penly, Camel or At It Bradley bet, you'd beat 'em into the pot!

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
ariston

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 12:14:47 PM »

There are 3 different ways of flopping quad queens, QQx, QxQ,xQQ. These must being taken into the calculations. The odds on each of these is obviously the same but the problem can be worked out easily as 2/50*1/49 divded by 3(as there are 3 different permiatations of flopping it). This comes to 408.3333 to 1 meaning reds calculations are roughly correct- how dare you question the mans maths Tikay, there was a time we both used to answer maths questions on another forum eh red

ariston

better lucky than good
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 12:15:43 PM »

Quads (using one of your pocket cards) from two non-pair cards - 9799/1

Nicked from:        

http://www.homepokergames.com/odds.php

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 12:16:50 PM »

what about flopping royal flush?
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2005, 12:17:38 PM »

There are 3 different ways of flopping quad queens, QQx, QxQ,xQQ. These must being taken into the calculations. The odds on each of these is obviously the same but the problem can be worked out easily as 2/50*1/49 divded by 3(as there are 3 different permiatations of flopping it). This comes to 408.3333 to 1 meaning reds calculations are roughly correct- how dare you question the mans maths Tikay, there was a time we both used to answer maths questions on another forum eh red

There was a time we used to play the same online stakes, now you are having a go at being a pro and I'm grinding it out at 2/4...cest la vie Cheesy

ariston

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2005, 12:19:28 PM »

Vegas goes wrong I may be back at those same 2/4 games red  Wink

ariston

better lucky than good
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2005, 12:19:47 PM »

what about flopping royal flush?

Let's say you hold the AJ of diamonds.  In order to flop a royal flush you need to hit the KQ10 of diamonds in no particular order on the first three cards.   You have three cards that you can hit on the first card rolled over, out of 50 remaining cards in the deck, so the odds of the first card rolled over being either the KQ or 10 of diamonds is 3/50. 

After you hit that card, you have two cards left to hit out of 49 remaining cards.  The odds the next card on the flop will be one of those is 2/49.

After you hit that card you must hit the remaining card, whatever it may be, out of 48 remaining cards in the deck, or 1/48.

The trick is, that you have to hit precisely all three of those cards.  we have figured out the odds of hitting each one individually.  To figure the odds of hitting all three of them precisely, you must multiply them all together.

50 x 49 x 48 = 117600

3 x 2 x 1 = 6

117600 / 6 = 19600 which means you will flop a royal if you hold two of the cards 1 time in every 19600, or 19599 to 1 against it.

Shamelessly nicked from a forum. I only know both times I got a Royal at Gala I got NO ACTION Cheesy

« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 12:22:37 PM by redsimon » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2005, 12:21:09 PM »

Ah, point taken Ariston, but if you had read the thread (ooh-er) you would note I eventually clicked that the stat I was confusing it with was holding one Q in hand, and flopping 3. Which, spookily, Red has just completed his research on, & come up with 9799/1. As ever, Red anticipated my thoughts exactly. Hope he's not on my table tonight.

By the way, Crypto have just been on the phone to me. They have had a lot of requests from players asking to be on my table tonight. Thery have resolved it by making it a 48 man table. I'm delighted, the blinds will only come round every fortnight.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
ariston

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2005, 12:22:15 PM »

To flop a royal flush you have to hit 3 specific cards to go with your 2 suited pictures, eg 3/50*2/49*1/48= 19600-1

ariston

better lucky than good
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2005, 12:23:45 PM »

Ah, point taken Ariston, but if you had read the thread (ooh-er) you would note I eventually clicked that the stat I was confusing it with was holding one Q in hand, and flopping 3. Which, spookily, Red has just completed his research on, & come up with 9799/1. As ever, Red anticipated my thoughts exactly. Hope he's not on my table tonight.

By the way, Crypto have just been on the phone to me. They have had a lot of requests from players asking to be on my table tonight. Thery have resolved it by making it a 48 man table. I'm delighted, the blinds will only come round every fortnight.

48 man table, that would be cool, no chance of being anted out! Grin

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2005, 12:24:07 PM »

Rainman alert, rainman alert

redsimon and ariston incoming......

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2005, 12:25:07 PM »

48 man table, that would be cool, no chance of being anted out! Grin

would give a new meaning to thoughts of early positioin and waiting til the button to steal

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
ariston

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2005, 12:26:02 PM »

397 toothpicks  Grin

ariston

better lucky than good
Nightfly

my decision is final!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2005, 05:07:02 PM »

Considering that 2 hole cards and the three flop cards form a unique 5 card poker hand then the odds of flopping quads must be the same as being dealt quads in 5 card stud.

there are 2,598,960 different 5 card combinations
624 of these are 4 of a kind (each of the 13 Ranks * any one of the 48 other cards)

odds of flopping quads is therefore

4,164 - 1

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: