blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:00:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Arsenal vs chelsea (spoiler if youre avoiding the score)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arsenal vs chelsea (spoiler if youre avoiding the score)  (Read 8553 times)
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2014, 09:12:59 PM »

Delib hand ballers is a yellow no ?

I'm not sure. That's what I'm asking. Should it be a yellow because it was going wide? Or should it be a red?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2014, 09:13:14 PM »

The question is only whether he denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

Two issues:

Come to equity with clean hands -- can't rely on it going wide if you didn't know. The fact that he does what he does is enough to suggest that he thinks he's stopping a goal scoring opportunity -- which makes out the offence.

Secondly, Arsenal profiting from ref mistake, no way this gets overturned normally. Arsenal don't even appeal it normally either. Sympathy vote because they've been beat 6-0 and refs had a shocker.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 09:15:36 PM »

I'm not sure. That's what I'm asking. Should it be a yellow because it was going wide? Or should it be a red?

Actually, it should be a red. The ref can't  judge whether the ball is going wide, therefore, the defender has assumed it's going in and that should be good enough for the ref.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 09:17:20 PM »

And Andre Marriner not banned either.

Seems real.

Re Ox not being banned - gg big club bias. If he played for Southampton he's getting a three game ban there all day.

3-game ban?

You might need to re-read the rule book sir.

Intent is not a factor, if it had been going in it would have warranted a 1-game ban, as it was going wide it's only a yellow, as Marriner cocked it up big-time it's cancelled.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 09:17:26 PM »

I can't really say anything without it looking like bias, but...

There's two reasons why I don't think the red should have been rescinded:

1) The rules say it should be where the ref made an obvious mistake and Mariner made what was objectively at that speed a reasonable decision. It's only from the one angle on tv that you can see it's going wide. That shouldn't be enough to overturn it.

2) If someone gives me a bag of sugar and tells me it is a kilo of Columbia's finest, I can get stopped by the police and charged with possession of cocaine. What matters is what I think I'm doing, not whether it was actually possible. Ox genuinely believed it was going in and he stopped it with his hand. He should get the penalty that reflects that.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2014, 09:18:41 PM »

Come to equity with clean hands

I did lol when I saw that Cheesy

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2014, 09:20:19 PM »

Actually, it should be a red. The ref can't  judge whether the ball is going wide, therefore, the defender has assumed it's going in and that should be good enough for the ref.

tbf, the ref couldn't even judge he'd touched it.

For mulhuzz, shirly you cant be judged on intent in this case - I'm sure Giroud intended to score at least once but no one gave a goal

sola virtus nobilitat
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2014, 09:21:10 PM »

3-game ban?

You might need to re-read the rule book sir.

Intent is not a factor, if it had been going in it would have warranted a 1-game ban, as it was going wide it's only a yellow, as Marriner cocked it up big-time it's cancelled.

you're right, should be one game ban.

justification for player getting let off because Marriner cocked up? One that doesn't involve 'because Arsenal' preferably Smiley
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2014, 09:25:09 PM »

tbf, the ref couldn't even judge he'd touched it.

For mulhuzz, shirly you cant be judged on intent in this case - I'm sure Giroud intended to score at least once but no one gave a goal

absolutely can be judged on intent when you're infringing or intending to infringe on the rules.  Giroud scoring is different because normal 'legal' part of game.

Consider this scenario. I'm partnering Big Mike Williamson at the back for Newcastle defending a corner from Arsenal. Ball is whipped in and Giroud just behind me definitely going to score. Now, I decide to put my hand on the ball and intend to punch the ball over the bar (my head can't reach because I'm a fat lad and Giroud is spritely). Unlucky for me though, my aim is shite and it goes in.  Can you now not award the goal and allow me to rely on intent to clear the ball? No. You can't let me rely on facts that are outside my intent or my awareness. Similarly, Ox can't rely on the fact that he didn't need to deflect ball wide. Both Ox and I have to take the consequences as we find them.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2014, 09:26:46 PM »

One point that everyone seems to be overlooking is that Marriner didn't even blow up for the handball nor did the lino appear to see it from looking at replays.

Marriner appeared to hear something in his earpiece a few seconds later after mourino, terry et al complained, presumably via the 4th official.

I reckon mourino gave the decision.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2014, 09:29:17 PM »

One point that everyone seems to be overlooking is that Marriner didn't even blow up for the handball nor did the lino appear to see it from looking at replays.

Marriner appeared to hear something in his earpiece a few seconds later after mourino, terry et al complained, presumably via the 4th official.

and you contend this excuses everything?

absolutely nothing wrong with ref consulting on decision.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2014, 09:30:18 PM »

my head can't reach because I'm a fat lad and Giroud is spritely

lol, sorry for your troubles.

I sort of get the point but not entirely. If you tried to use your hand to score you wouldn't get sent off - same diff ?

sola virtus nobilitat
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2014, 09:31:38 PM »

and you contend this excuses everything?

absolutely nothing wrong with ref consulting on decision.

No but I would love Marriner to tell us who gave it.

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2014, 09:33:09 PM »

my head can't reach because I'm a fat lad and Giroud is spritely

lol, sorry for your troubles.

I sort of get the point but not entirely. If you tried to use your hand to score you wouldn't get sent off - same diff ?

when I use my hand to score (as Giroud) I don't intend to deny a goalscoring opportunity though.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2014, 09:33:29 PM »

The biggest shame about this whole saga is that it has taken away from the fact arsenal turned up for a big pat on the back party and got a proper spanking.

(Pull pin. Stand well back...)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: