blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:22:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  A Thread for Green Fingers
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Thread for Green Fingers  (Read 7896 times)
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2014, 06:43:35 PM »

I am useless at all things garden related. I have no idea how to maintain even the most simplest of things - whether it be my 3 rose bushes or just the back lawn.

Need some help from fellow blondes, Google is not getting me very far and results so far have been terrible. I don't want to spend hours primping and pruning. I just want help with the basics.

So, firstly, this is my front drive way :-

Click to see full-size image.

It's the embarrassment of the street. I once bought something from B&Q and squirted it onto the green bits and in the cracks. All that seemed to happen was that a few big bits shriveled up while most of the patio just looked worse as it was covered in white stains. What do I need to do to make this go away and not come back?

Hoping to be able to post improvement pictures in the thread.

Next installment - hanging baskets.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 08:28:34 PM »

You could pull the weeds out then put weed killer down to kill the roots.

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 11:30:50 PM »

Weed killer and then have a go at clearing what's left, most of it being dead. I got a patio weeding tool from B&Q that helps clear the roots away,
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-tools-equipment/garden-hand-tools/weeding_tools/Good-Patio-Weeder-10767678

Then brush sharp sand into the gaps between the bricks which should, theoretically, keep them clear or fresh growth.

You may need to repeat this process but the second time is much easier than the first will be.

PS I'm not a keen gardener, but I do like sitting in a tidy garden and have spent much of the past year rectifying the damage caused by a very long period of doing little more than cutting the grass.
Now I'm adept at removing self-seed ash trees, including roots. Cutting back overgrown ivy and even managed to reseed a bald part of the grass which had suffered from being beneath the trampoline.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:33:50 PM by david3103 » Logged

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:33:50 PM »

When is a weed not a weed?

Gonna have a good go at this Saturday morning.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 11:36:13 PM »

When is a weed not a weed?

Gonna have a good go at this Saturday morning.

I work on the basis that everything that grows where I don't want it to is a weed. All the greenery in the cracks on the drive is a weed on that basis.
It's a useful definition because it allows me to keep the daisies in the lawn because they are colourful Smiley

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 11:55:10 PM »

As David says get a weed brush / block paving tool. It's essentially a long broom handle with a small but very stiff wire brush on the end. Gets right in the cracks. Then weed killer in the cracks too. You could then pressure wash it to make it look proper smart
sharky_uk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 12:57:57 PM »

Once you have removed the weeds and power washed you should brush in some kiln dried sand between the blocks rather than sharp sand.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:00:18 PM by sharky_uk » Logged
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 02:38:48 PM »

As David says get a weed brush / block paving tool. It's essentially a long broom handle with a small but very stiff wire brush on the end. Gets right in the cracks. Then weed killer in the cracks too. You could then pressure wash it to make it look proper smart

Get a wire brush head for a drill, does the job in no time.

Would avoid pressure washing unless you want to resand the joints.

Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 07:24:54 PM »

Went to B&Q this morning to buy the bits. I saw 4 people with pencils behind their ears, it's like another world.

It looks a bit messy so might have to give it another go in the week. I haven't put the weedkiller everywhere yet either so might give that a top up later tonight.

That weed scraper thing David advised is brilliant!! Got all the crap out from between the pavings. Only problem was I realised I don't own a broom or brush so had to try and get it all into a bag by hand.

I did buy some sand but couldn't find kiln dried. I got building sand (soft sand), will that be ok? Do I just tip it onto the floor then brush it all in between the gaps? Need to invest in a brush next.
Eck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 08:18:47 PM »

Got my drive cleaned today guys made a cracking job of it. They are coming back to put the sand down and will be using this. First time they are using it but figure it is worth a go.

Kev B is probably your best bet for advice, I'm sure his business is fitting driveways.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 08:36:18 AM »

I saw 4 people with pencils behind their ears

A wonderful line.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 11:08:27 AM »

Hi Mark.

Firstly spray weed killer but you must do this while the leaves are still on as they will take the weed killer to the root. Block paving brushes are good for keeping on top of soil and moss build up in the joints. If the surface is just dirt then you may be able to clean it off with a patio cleaner and scrub with a stiff brush using good old elbow grease.

If it is really bad then pressure washing is the best option. This will blast out some of the jointing sand but not all. Just top it up when the drive has dried out. Kiln dried sand is about £3 a bag probably a little dearer from B&Q etc.

For a more permanent solution clean and seal the driveway. My recommendation is to use Resiblock sealant. There are other cheaper sealants but they are not permanent. It's something you can do yourself, alternatively go to the website and they have a list of installers in all areas.  http://www.resiblock.com/

If you need any more help or info just PM me.

Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 10:18:50 AM »

Thank you for the excellent patio advice. It is looking much better now. Needs another couple of go's but much more respectable.

I need to sort this out now:-

I have one either side of the front door. At the moment they just have some compost/dirt in from last year.

Are the pre-made versions of these usually good value or am I better filling them myself? I have some compost/dirt in the shed that I got last year but it's open, will this be OK? I assume I need to change the dirt from last year..

If I make them myself then what sort of plants do I need to be looking for? They would be getting a fair bit of sun.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 10:32:01 AM »

much cheaper to do it yourself,and much more satisfing too

last years compost fine, with some plant food from the garden centre to freshen it up.

all happy in full sun:

ivy geraniums

verbana (quite a few varieties available)

Calibrachoa/million bells

Diamond Frost Euphorbia

about 10 or 15 plantings in total, max, the latter three of these will really fill out, overhang etc

obviously daily watering once planted

hopefully your baskets have drainage? if not replace with those that drain, the new plants won't want to be sitting in a pool of water, they need a feed and then for the water to drain out

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 10:47:06 AM »

Thank you for the excellent patio advice. It is looking much better now. Needs another couple of go's but much more respectable.

I need to sort this out now:-

I have one either side of the front door. At the moment they just have some compost/dirt in from last year.

Are the pre-made versions of these usually good value or am I better filling them myself? I have some compost/dirt in the shed that I got last year but it's open, will this be OK? I assume I need to change the dirt from last year..

If I make them myself then what sort of plants do I need to be looking for? They would be getting a fair bit of sun.

Had to chuckle at "I have some dirt from last year" & "I have some dirt in the shed".

What sort of gardening term is "dirt" if I may make so bold?

Can we buy "dirt" at the Garden Centre?

I'm joshing of course, but it really made me laugh, sorry!

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: