blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:17:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  iPhone app updates issue
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: iPhone app updates issue  (Read 2398 times)
baldock92

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2014, 09:19:28 PM »

As of around 4 days ago I couldn't update my apps on the app store, usually I'd simply click the 'update' button and that was that. Now when I click this it decided to open up the app itself, rather than updating it.

Any ideas as to why this could be? And yes, I have tried turning it off and on again.

Feed em rice.
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 10:04:04 PM »

Have you done the recent updats to IOS I was having a few probs with my phone but when this was done it sorted it out.  I had hung off because I was told the hooky charges wouldnt work on the update and I am sick of apple ones not being long enough and breaking too easily but seems the hooky ones still work. 
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 10:09:14 PM »

I tried to update ios around a month ago but was told I had insufficient space. Seems like one of those things I can't avoid if it's screwing up these app updates...

Feed em rice.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 10:40:39 PM »

I tried to update ios around a month ago but was told I had insufficient space. Seems like one of those things I can't avoid if it's screwing up these app updates...

Same here. I had to delete a bunch of stuff, mostly personal videos, and once I did that, (wait overnight for the deletions to clear) the IOS update worked ok.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 10:49:35 PM »

Same here. I had to delete a bunch of stuff, mostly personal videos, and once I did that, (wait overnight for the deletions to clear) the IOS update worked ok.

It's just very annoying having to delete random personal videos, as they obviously have more meaning to the user than a bloody software update

Feed em rice.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 10:50:49 PM »

It's just very annoying having to delete random personal videos, as they obviously have more meaning to the user than a bloody software update

The Update is very good though, with a ton of new features.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »

I have an Android phone to which I have added a 32gb SD card.

Just sayin....

The older I get, the better I was.
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 11:25:19 PM »

If you update it through iTunes you don't need to clear space

I would recommend backing up photos to a computer before you do the update anyway, some people have lost photos or contact information during the update but again if you do it through iTunes it will create a backup of your apps and contacts before it attempts the update

baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 11:44:43 PM »

If you update it through iTunes you don't need to clear space

I would recommend backing up photos to a computer before you do the update anyway, some people have lost photos or contact information during the update but again if you do it through iTunes it will create a backup of your apps and contacts before it attempts the update

Cheers for this advice!

And REDDOG I think I'll be changing back to android when I get a new phone, really think the whole iPhone malarky is over-hyped.

Feed em rice.
Knottikay

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 01:51:05 PM »

Hi folks. Cheers for this thread. I just recently changed my phone to an Iphone . I have hardly any apps on it.

Having read this thread, I have wiped off a load of vids/photos which I thought were using the most memory.

I have now got 4.1GB available but it says I need 4.8 for the update. It says I am using 1.9, but added up all my usage, and it only came to about 660MB.

Any advice please?....esp how I can do this update through I tunes.

*please type slowly so I can understand.....as it is all a bit new to me since my nokia days......TIA.

Life has no rebuy options
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 02:30:16 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

Plug your phone into your PC with the USB cable, open itunes if it doesn't open automatically when you plug the phone in

The category 'Devices' should appear in the sidebar with your phone listed beneath it. (If you don't see this sidebar go to View (top left next to File, Edit) > Show Sidebar)

Under the Summary tab it should still say iOS 7.something, click on check for update and it'll download the update to your PC (saves you having to make lots of room on your phone), create a backup of your phone and then run the update process

If you have bought things from the itunes store since the last time you plugged your phone into your PC then it'll come up with a message that you still have available downloads from the itunes store, in which case you'll want to authorise your computer as a trusted machine and download your purchases to itunes.

Unfortunately it seems to be the case that the fewer features you use, the more complicated the update process becomes because itunes wants you to jump through a whole load of hoops that more advanced users that sync a lot of their data, use iCloud and the store etc. have already done. Far from ideal and I can completely understand the frustration that a lot of people have with the update process. The tone of a lot of the popups and processes on Apple products is a lot less helpful than for example Windows, which asks you if you would like more information at every opportunity during updates and installs.

baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 01:07:47 PM »

I finally upgraded to the new ios software and everything is now sorted.

For the record though, I hate the new software

Feed em rice.
Knottikay

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 01:46:02 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

Plug your phone into your PC with the USB cable, open itunes if it doesn't open automatically when you plug the phone in

The category 'Devices' should appear in the sidebar with your phone listed beneath it. (If you don't see this sidebar go to View (top left next to File, Edit) > Show Sidebar)

Under the Summary tab it should still say iOS 7.something, click on check for update and it'll download the update to your PC (saves you having to make lots of room on your phone), create a backup of your phone and then run the update process

If you have bought things from the itunes store since the last time you plugged your phone into your PC then it'll come up with a message that you still have available downloads from the itunes store, in which case you'll want to authorise your computer as a trusted machine and download your purchases to itunes.

Unfortunately it seems to be the case that the fewer features you use, the more complicated the update process becomes because itunes wants you to jump through a whole load of hoops that more advanced users that sync a lot of their data, use iCloud and the store etc. have already done. Far from ideal and I can completely understand the frustration that a lot of people have with the update process. The tone of a lot of the popups and processes on Apple products is a lot less helpful than for example Windows, which asks you if you would like more information at every opportunity during updates and installs.

Cheers for the above, but I am going to admit defeat. I have now spent 3 hours on it so will give up and wait for my IT manager to get back from his holidays next week.

I had to download I tunes to my pc and go through all that went with that process, and then I carnt get the pc to link to my phone so I can get to that 1st stage.

I will hopefully revisit here when I know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks again for trying to help a 'technophobic'

Knottikay

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 11:37:33 AM »

Finally managed my update!. Thanks to all in this thread, especially DMorgan, for advice.

I might not upgrade my phone for a while.

Cheers.

baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 11:53:26 AM »

Finally managed my update!. Thanks to all in this thread, especially DMorgan, for advice.

I might not upgrade my phone for a while.

Cheers.

It's probably just a matter of time before we're back here moaning about some issue

Feed em rice.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: