blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:24:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  What are your most vivid or replayed memories?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are your most vivid or replayed memories?  (Read 3788 times)
Sark79

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:41:23 AM »

I think we all have individual memories we return to again and again in our minds. Some of these are nice memories that we want to experience again and some aren't so nice that we would rather forget. If I command my mind to recreate a past memory, I tend to return to three memories unconsciously before trying to conjure up a memory of a past event consciously. I have no idea why I always seem to think of these three memories above all others as they weren't really big events in my life and haven't shaped me in any way that is noticeable to my personality now.

One of these default memories was as a 6 year old. It was a cold rainy day and I wasn't at School for some reason, I don't know why this was and think it may have been the Christmas holidays as in my memory there was ice on the pavements and it had that festive feeling. I was climbing up onto a wall using a rickety old table. There was a green house just inside a Neighbours garden which acted as part of the hedge separating the two gardens. The table broke and I fell through the glass into the greenhouse.  I had a cut on my head that required stitches and I stayed overnight in hospital. I even remember my Father picking me up the following morning and taking me for ice cream on the drive home. The strange thing about this particular memory is that it never happened. Some years later I asked my Family about the incident and was told our house didn't have any next door neighbours and I never needed stitches or stayed in hospital. This is still a memory I return to when I try to think of one of my earliest memories.  It is very vivid and I can only think I saw it is a movie and somehow latched onto it for some reason. I only have one living family member who knew me from that time, my sister who stays in the States so I don't have the opportunity to find out where this memory came from.

What is a memory you still replay in your mind?  Obviously if it is painful it is probably best to not recreate it.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:54:33 AM by Sark79 » Logged
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 02:28:17 AM »

The day of getting my degree results is so vivid. I was on the final day of holiday with my girlfriend in Marmaris, Turkey and my friend was going to pick my results up for me and let me know whether I'd scraped a 2:1. I can remember pacing up and down in the hotel reception (as we'd already checked out of our room) until finally getting the best phonecall of my life.

Others memories I always find myself revisiting are making it to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro, seeing Stoke play in the FA cup semi final + final at Wembley and there will be others I can't think of now (the irony...)

I still hate thinking back to the day a sixth form assembly was arranged last minute only to find out one of my friends had been killed in a car crash the night before, horrendous how crystal clear that day still seems.

Finally, on a less sad note, I can't seem to bloody forget how I blew a healthy chip stack in the ukipt on a stupid bluff I could have easily avoided, when already in the money and playing well.

Great thread! Looking forward to reading some of the replies

Feed em rice.
Sark79

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »

Others memories I always find myself revisiting are making it to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro

Interesting memories.  Tell more about this mate, that is some achievement. I thought climbing Ben Nevis was impressive when I was a kid  Cheesy
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 10:58:55 AM »

I have a really vivid memory from being a baby for some reason.  On the floor watching Rainbow when I sensed I had filled my nappy.  I remember everything.  The mild discomfort, the colour of the wallpaper, the weird 70s artifacts on the window sill.  I remember the smell and my tiny mind thinking "not good" before I was whisked away to be changed and I remember Bungle's oversized face mocking me on the screen just as the memory ends. 

No reason why that should be memorable at all, but it's such a vivid memory.
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 11:57:06 AM »

Others memories I always find myself revisiting are making it to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro

Interesting memories.  Tell more about this mate, that is some achievement. I thought climbing Ben Nevis was impressive when I was a kid  Cheesy

I remember waking up at Midnight after falling asleep 2 hours earlier and being shattered, 4 days solid climbing had worn me out. I was already bloody freezing (literally, it was already a few degrees below zero) and had the shittiest porridge for breakfast.

Anyway, about half an hour later we started the final ascent in pitch black, with the plan to get to the top for sunrise. It was the most horrendous walk I've done, exhausted, dehydrated, hungry and with the oxygen so thin at 5000m+ the altitude started to get to me, feel dizzy with every step I took. I remember a few hours in looking off to the left and I thought I saw my friend sat down by a big rock so I shouted over to him, and I got a weird look from my guide- it took me a few seconds but I realised there was nothing there haha. At the time it was very strange. It was just after then I stopped to get some water down me. Oh excellent, all of the water had frozen over just like I was warned could happen, as temperatures had now hit -15 celcius. I now had to survive from about 4am-10am by sucking on the ice inside the water bottle.

The walk itself was steep uphill on loose stones/rocks so was pretty difficult (and at one point heard a shout from about 100m ahead before a rock flew about a metre past my head, which was terrifying). I made it to the top of the initial slope (which looks like the peak but is still around 40 minutes away) around 8am, as the sun was coming up. I can remember looking round, so dizzy I could barely stand, and seeing the sun start to come over the horizon, so magnificently orange and bright, and you could feel the warmth of it so quickly. After a quick break spent just sat, staring at the sun I set off for the peak. I must have slipped on the ice/ snow about 20 times in that 40minute walk because of the altitude sickness causing me to go dizzy, but knew I just had to grit it out and get to the top. Seeing the sign that I'd reached Uhuru Peak, the top of Africa at 5895m (19,341 feet) above sea level was amazing. There was a plane flying lower than we were stood which was pretty cool. A few mandatory snaps and then the walk back home. I now had a personal guide because I was suffering so bad from altitude sickness. Lovely guy, can't remember his name but he got me down safe for a quick nap before another 8 hours walk downhill, and i continued hallucinating for the rest of the day. It's awesome thinking back to it but it was so painful at the time.

Feed em rice.
Sark79

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 05:43:33 PM »

Great stuff Baldock. How did you find yourself in a position to climb that?   Is climbing an interest of yours or was it some sort of charity thing? 
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 06:14:09 PM »

I find the whole subject of memory pretty fascinating (coz I'm dull like that).  In a lot of areas my memory is pretty terrible, but the most vivid memories I have are usually linked to some kind of very heightened emotion, which I guess helps to etch it on the brain.  I've felt real fear (as in fear for my life) a handful of times over the years, and those are the memories that are the most vivid.

False memory is another area that I find really interesting - I have one really vivid memory from very early childhood (about 18 months old).  Although I know some of it is factually accurate because I checked with my mum a couple of years ago, elements of it are clearly false, yet I can 'remember' it clear as day.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Sark79

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 09:40:02 PM »

I find the whole subject of memory pretty fascinating (coz I'm dull like that).  In a lot of areas my memory is pretty terrible, but the most vivid memories I have are usually linked to some kind of very heightened emotion, which I guess helps to etch it on the brain.  I've felt real fear (as in fear for my life) a handful of times over the years, and those are the memories that are the most vivid.

False memory is another area that I find really interesting - I have one really vivid memory from very early childhood (about 18 months old).  Although I know some of it is factually accurate because I checked with my mum a couple of years ago, elements of it are clearly false, yet I can 'remember' it clear as day.

I agree Claire, anything to do with memory is interesting. I watched a documentary years ago about Daniel Tammet. He is the amazing guy who has been classed as a high functioning autistic savant. Not only is he a polyglot and mathematician. he also holds the European record for reciting pi. The interesting thing about his case is many of his achievements have recently been questioned by leading memory experts. Tammet says his abilities are natural although memory experts can achieve similar results using techniques such as the loci method and different number systems. His book "Born on a blue day" can be found online at a site I can't legally say on this forum ( The first word describes what Bruce Lee did to many of his onscreen opponents ). There are loads of threads about him on most of the memory forums I read.  I am glad you mentioned false memory, probably my most vivid memory is a false memory as well.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 10:52:01 PM »

I was playing a poker tournament in the summer in Paris about 15 years ago.

Got knocked out and went on the piss with some friends.

6 hours later I stumbled into my 3rd floor room blind drunk.

As it was so hot, I had left the huge window in my room wide open with a sheer drop to the ground of 30 or 40 feet.

As I walked through the door I tripped over my suitcase and hurtled headlong towards the open window.

I can close my eyes now and remember as clearly as if it was yesterday the feeling of flying through the air towards an open window and certain death.

Horrible, vivid memory.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Sark79

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 01:18:34 AM »

Ouch,  were you badly hurt?   It probably took your mind off the poker though
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 02:22:10 PM »

Great stuff Baldock. How did you find yourself in a position to climb that?   Is climbing an interest of yours or was it some sort of charity thing? 

I was bored one night in my freshers year at uni, as saw an online post recruiting students from my uni to raise money for a childrens charity and climb kilimanjaro, so I thought why not and signed up. Travelling had always been my plan for after university so I thought this would be a nice way to start!

Feed em rice.
Sark79

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 02:25:20 PM »

I was bored one night in my freshers year at uni, as saw an online post recruiting students from my uni to raise money for a childrens charity and climb kilimanjaro, so I thought why not and signed up. Travelling had always been my plan for after university so I thought this would be a nice way to start!

lol,  from being bored to climbing a massive  mountain .  Most people rent a movie or go for a beer down the pub when they are bored  Cheesy
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »

My earliest memory is of a dream I had when I was 6 years old.  Remember elements of the dream vividly, reaching for a ball in the dream and then waking up lying on the floor having fallen out of bed. 

Other than that, I struggle to remember what I was doing yesterday.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 04:38:36 PM »

I don't remember anything before my 8th birthday (had meningitis when i was 17 and that was a side effect)

No idea why it happened to affect that date but it did.

Similar to Baldock at college just before i got meningitis actually for some reason i declined to go out with a good bunch of friends. The car they were in crashed and one of my best friends was killed (the driver has only just come out of jail now)

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 04:50:21 PM »

A Cheetah pissing directly in my face, at Cricket St. Thomas, when I was about 2 years old is my earliest memory.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: