blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:10:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272575 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best way of marketing poker?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best way of marketing poker?  (Read 7005 times)
dreenie

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2014, 01:02:12 PM »

Not sure if anyone saw last night, but pokerstars are running a new show called the 'cage' or something.

I'm just wondering where and when (if) Vicky Coren's EPT San remo is gonna be shown? My friend told me other week she was watching an ept show and it said they weren't showing it? I just cannot believe this information is true surely?

The show last night was the most boring out of date relevance I have ever had the torture of watching... terrible move by stars imo. Are they really that desperate ?

baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 01:09:56 PM »

I think they decide before hand which tournaments will be televised and which won't. A few weeks back they showed Vicky Coren winning it in a brief clip so I severely doubt they'll show the whole tournament highlights

Feed em rice.
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 01:12:49 PM »

I think they decide before hand which tournaments will be televised and which won't. A few weeks back they showed Vicky Coren winning it in a brief clip so I severely doubt they'll show the whole tournament highlights

Yeah that's what my friend said too. If this is the case then shame on you Stars, shame on you.

Even my friend and his friends who have no idea of how to play poker but read the guardian religiously and telegraph etc knew of Vicky's win and of her 1st ept too.

I'm sure if it was mike Mcdonald or someone like that it would be shown. Just lol tbh
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »

Obviously a gamble by Stars if they select some to televise and others not to.  They missed out big time if that's the case with Vicky's win, as she certainly transcends the game in a way very few others do.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 01:59:59 PM »

Yeah that's what my friend said too. If this is the case then shame on you Stars, shame on you.

Even my friend and his friends who have no idea of how to play poker but read the guardian religiously and telegraph etc knew of Vicky's win and of her 1st ept too.

I'm sure if it was mike Mcdonald or someone like that it would be shown. Just lol tbh

Nonsense, they decide before the tournament starts which they televise and which they don't. They ran seriously bad that VCMs win was one of the stops they didn't televise as it would've made cracking television and they've been running the "first two time champ" story throughout the shows so they'll be gutted they can't show it.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 02:06:14 PM »

Nonsense, they decide before the tournament starts which they televise and which they don't. They ran seriously bad that VCMs win was one of the stops they didn't televise as it would've made cracking television and they've been running the "first two time champ" story throughout the shows so they'll be gutted they can't show it.

So you think this cage programme is better than any of the ept stops? If you are trying to show how amateur players can win a huge sum of money from a small entry then surely stick with the online qualifiers who have been getting in for cheap?... mix that up with good professionals that show some personality at the table and poker looks very enticing no?
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 02:08:14 PM »

And before anyone starts it's got nothing to do with the fact she's a woman. I personally feel she is one of the best ambassadors for poker. Her personality and wit is a cut above 98% of the other pros imo.
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 02:12:38 PM »

So you think this cage programme is better than any of the ept stops? If you are trying to show how amateur players can win a huge sum of money from a small entry then surely stick with the online qualifiers who have been getting in for cheap?... mix that up with good professionals that show some personality at the table and poker looks very enticing no?

I think the sharkcage shows have been introduced to entice new players into taking up the game and sign up to pokerstars. Most of the televised events tend to show a lot of serious faces with their headphones on and hoods up, whereas the sharkcage is a new, fun concept, which may attract new customers. Can completely understand why they've done it, even though they will be massively tilted they missed out on showing Vicky's second EPT win

Feed em rice.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 02:20:05 PM »

Did you actually read what Alex and baldock posted?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 02:26:42 PM »

Did you actually read what Alex and baldock posted?

Yes I'm just asking Alex's views on what he thinks about the concept ?
And also Imo of course I think they can find better ways of promoting online poker/pokerstars live events etc.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 03:30:26 PM »

I think it was a shame that they dropped the UKIPT from their televised tournaments.  It showed the 'grass-roots' players getting involved in decent prize money - an accessible EPT really.  However, the cost for televising these events isn't insignificant and I guess they want a direct return on this investment (in terms of new customer signups and deposits, etc.).

I certainly think there's a greater ROI on many things they do (or could do) compared to sponsoring pros who no one outside the game has any clue who they are. 

baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 03:36:32 PM »

I think it was a shame that they dropped the UKIPT from their televised tournaments.  It showed the 'grass-roots' players getting involved in decent prize money - an accessible EPT really.  However, the cost for televising these events isn't insignificant and I guess they want a direct return on this investment (in terms of new customer signups and deposits, etc.).

I certainly think there's a greater ROI on many things they do (or could do) compared to sponsoring pros who no one outside the game has any clue who they are. 

I was discussing this with someone else an hour or so ago, saying the UKIPT's with a final table of drunk irishmen and characters like Sam Razavi were the way forward

Feed em rice.
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 03:40:32 PM »

I definitely think it's a huge shame they stopped filming the UKIPTs. But they are ridiculously expensive to make, Channel 4 stick them on about 2am and everyone who is watching probably already has a PokerStars account. A tough ROI sell I would have thought.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 03:44:36 PM »

I would imagine showing a final table EPT nowadays isn't very productive at all to signing up people who have never played poker.  The poker cage, imo, although being cheesy, is much more likely to appeal to the casual types who have never played poker before online to encourage them to sign up.  Players like VCM winning EPT's is priceless though.  Stars must truely be gutted they didn't send a film crew to cover that EPT.  Like Alex says though all the planning for TV is done in advance and they can't plan once the attractiveness of the winner is done.
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 03:58:56 PM »

Completely agree with this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: