blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:43:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Macbook Air? Or stick to Windows...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Macbook Air? Or stick to Windows...  (Read 2819 times)
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2014, 01:42:19 PM »

I'm in the market for a new laptop.

Just need it for basic multitasking, be able to run 5 different poker sites, with PT/HEM, plus table ninja, 20 internet tabs and a film that sort of thing.

I'm pretty superficial so looks are everything.

Lightweight, compact also key.

£500-£1k budget.

I've never used a Mac before, but think they look the bomb, tired of Windows 8 and just generally quite fancy seeing what all the fuss is about and migrating.

Is it worth the expense? You're paying almost double from what I can see. Or is it very much apples and oranges? (no pun intended!)

WRT the different models, looking at the 13" one, of which there are two models. Paying about $200 more for 256GB as opposed to 128MB "PCIe-based flash storage". Is this worth the money? Is this to do with memory storage, or operating speed? Sorry texperts about that question lol.

Can anyone suggest a decent Windows (I guess) based alternative?

Thanks 

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 02:00:01 PM »

alienware from dell are expensive but different class.  Maybe a bit heavy for your needs and slightly above your budget but def worth it and pleasing on the eye.  I had mine 3 years and its the best laptop i have ever had in my lifetime by a mile.  Works like new after 3 years of serious 12 hours a day hammering.  Worth bearing in mind though as a different option.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-17/pd.aspx
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:03:03 PM by arbboy » Logged
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 02:24:43 PM »

alienware from dell are expensive but different class.  Maybe a bit heavy for your needs and slightly above your budget but def worth it and pleasing on the eye.  I had mine 3 years and its the best laptop i have ever had in my lifetime by a mile.  Works like new after 3 years of serious 12 hours a day hammering.  Worth bearing in mind though as a different option.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-17/pd.aspx

Yeh too heavy for me. Lightweight is pretty essential requirement.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 02:41:48 PM »

I own a IT company and part of my business is to supply hardware etc...this is my general advice when asked this question..

macs def win out... their operating system is far superior, faster and smoother than windows and far less vulnerable to virus,spyware etc.... the biggest drawback besides price is compatability..windows runs pretty much anything whereas Macs can be a bit limiting... make sure there are mac versions of the poker clients, PT/HEM you wish to use and that it will run the programs you wish to use.. mac book air are the nuts screen res is superb..

when i bought my daughter a new laptop it was a mac..myself unfortunatly i need the diversity of a PC.. but given a straight choice it would be a mac..

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 02:43:51 PM »

I own a IT company and part of my business is to supply hardware etc...this is my general advice when asked this question..

macs def win out... their operating system is far superior, faster and smoother than windows and far less vulnerable to virus,spyware etc.... the biggest drawback besides price is compatability..windows runs pretty much anything whereas Macs can be a bit limiting... make sure there are mac versions of the poker clients, PT/HEM you wish to use and that it will run the programs you wish to use.. mac book air are the nuts screen res is superb..

when i bought my daughter a new laptop it was a mac..myself unfortunatly i need the diversity of a PC.. but given a straight choice it would be a mac..

Thanks Smiley

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 04:48:24 PM »

I think we want exactly different things in terms of grindability, looks and functions.

I got a Mac sround 1 year ago and it's the best decision I could have made. If you're going to be somewhere for a decent amount of time buy a thunderbolt, they are really really good and you can always sell for a similar price as they are popular.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 04:51:04 PM »

Agree with all of this even to the point I just bought my daughter a MacBook Pro 13".

If you go the Mac route see if you can get a student to buy for you as the discounts can be quite generous. £180 if I recall correctly.

Ah! The element of surprise
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 05:00:06 PM »

Favouring MacBook Pro over Air now, heard the air won't be able to handle 12 tables and an external monitor etc etc...

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 05:12:32 PM »

Once you go Mac you'll never go back!

Check out the prices on Amazon, much cheaper than buying directly from the Apple store.  Also, consider cashing in some Pokerstars FPP's for Amazon gift vouchers to buy your Mac.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 06:49:14 PM »

the 15" retina display is the best, and it allows you to connect to 2 thunderbolts/external monitors.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 08:02:14 PM »

Mac all the way!

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 10:34:25 PM »

I got a Macbook Pro about 3 months ago and I love it. It's hands down the best performing computer I've had and you don't have to be particularly tech savvy.

It's also totally worth getting just so you can enrage Windows/Android bores when you tell them you have a Mac.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 12:50:33 AM »

can also get windows put on via parallels

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 02:19:07 PM »

Once you go Mac you'll never go back!

Check out the prices on Amazon, much cheaper than buying directly from the Apple store.  Also, consider cashing in some Pokerstars FPP's for Amazon gift vouchers to buy your Mac.

Looks like the opposite to me.

The MacBook Pro 13" is £749 on amazon ($1198) but $1099 on apple.com with free shipping.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »

Think the retina display one is the way to go. Can't decide between these two

The only difference appears to be the "256MB flash storage". What does that mean? If it's memory so I can have loads of films on there then I won't bother. If it's speed then that's a different story...

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: