blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 01:05:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Brentford FC in the Premier League?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brentford FC in the Premier League?  (Read 15478 times)
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2015, 09:56:52 PM »

Brentfords progression is definitely going to be interesting to watch next season. Have a feeling a few other clubs try to do similar things(Watford, Brighton) but Brentford are much more up front about it for better or worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwqZiyZYB00
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2015, 12:08:30 AM »

Marinus Dijkhuizen ‏@MDijkhuizen9

I am very proud to be Brentford FC's new head coach! Looking forward to work hard together to achieve the ambitions of this folk club.#Bees

The new Brentford manager's 15th place Eredivisie finish looks a *lot* better when you put it in financial context per
‏@MartijnHilhorst

Only Excelsior needed less than 100k per point

I'm assuming budget includes transfers and salaries?

If so, running a top division club in one of Europe's big leagues on less than £3 million per year is almost unbelievable.

That's the equivalent of spending £0 on transfers and paying a 20 man squad an average of around £150k per year (or £3k per week).

No wonder Excelsior and Dordrecht finished in the bottom 3!

It also ignores that the first 50 points or so (random number) are way way cheaper to achieve than the extra 15. ie the cost of the first fifteen points achieved costs a lot less than the last fifteen points. Diminishing returns.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2015, 12:18:24 PM »

It all ended badly.

After the odd decision to dispense with Warburton (doing very nicely in Scotland now, tyvm) Matthew Benham used his cashout facility yesterday to sack Warburton's successor.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2015, 01:29:10 PM »

Well technically Warburton did not renew his contract. He was offered a new deal but declined as he didn't want to work in the new system. Lots of misinformation on that point.

I feel that Marinius was hard done by. Brentford have an horrendous injury list at the moment - 5 probable starters out until Christmas - and had to cope with two of last year's star men being sold in the first week of the season. We could only name 6 subs, including two goalies, for our game against Boro a couple of weeks back. The results haven't been great but given the circumstances, I don't think they could have been significantly better. Still, in Benham we trust.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2015, 01:33:49 PM »

Well technically Warburton did not renew his contract. He was offered a new deal but declined as he didn't want to work in the new system. Lots of misinformation on that point.

I feel that Marinius was hard done by. Brentford have an horrendous injury list at the moment - 5 probable starters out until Christmas - and had to cope with two of last year's star men being sold in the first week of the season. We could only name 6 subs, including two goalies, for our game against Boro a couple of weeks back. The results haven't been great but given the circumstances, I don't think they could have been significantly better. Still, in Benham we trust.

Yes, that's a fair point. After I wrote it, I realised it was incorrect, but I thought I may get away with it. Wink

How is the new Stadium coming along, still on track?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2015, 01:43:39 PM »

Yes, that's a fair point. After I wrote it, I realised it was incorrect, but I thought I may get away with it. Wink

How is the new Stadium coming along, still on track?

CPO hearing conducted a couple of weeks ago with judgement expected next week. Similar situation to Spurs except the company involved with Brentford isn't an independent business but a firm specifically up with the sole purpose of buying bits of land in areas which could be used for large scale commercial developments. Essentially their business model seems to be to try and hold developers to ransom when it comes to purchasing land needed to complete such developments. Judge expected to see straight through it and ground expected to be broken in Feb, with a two year construction time.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2015, 01:50:34 PM »

The media coverage of this is hillarious

The guy next to me loves sky sports news (sadly)

They have Tony cottee (one failed spell at Barnet) and Tony gale telling all and Sundry that Brentford are run by someone  like Vincent tan.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2015, 06:44:40 AM »

Here is Martin Samuel's take on the dismissal:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3253957/Brentford-owner-Matthew-Benham-obsessed-stats-come-wrong-formula-success.html
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2015, 08:38:07 AM »

The mark of a good writer is knowing what a rhetorical question is and whether you're supposed to answer it.

Brentford were buying by numbers, too, Moneyball style. Yet did anyone research the probability of their new centre half lasting 45 minutes of a Capital One Cup tie against Oxford United, and this being his only contribution to the season? No. Such information does not, and cannot, exist.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2015, 09:02:47 AM »

The mark of a good writer is knowing what a rhetorical question is and whether you're supposed to answer it.

Brentford were buying by numbers, too, Moneyball style. Yet did anyone research the probability of their new centre half lasting 45 minutes of a Capital One Cup tie against Oxford United, and this being his only contribution to the season? No. Such information does not, and cannot, exist.

My eyes are bleeding reading all that.  An idiot gets paid for writing about something he doesn't really understand. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 09:07:06 AM by Doobs » Logged

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2015, 09:26:50 AM »

Samuel is Sportswriter of the Year don't you know..

He is often very good IMO but too off-piste here and a fail.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2015, 09:36:03 AM »

Samuel is Sportswriter of the Year don't you know..

He is often very good IMO but too off-piste here and a fail.

I actually agree with that. But this is like me trying to explain how a telephone works.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: