blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:55:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Scottish Football Betting & General Discussion Thread (Open to All)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scottish Football Betting & General Discussion Thread (Open to All)  (Read 86056 times)
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: April 21, 2017, 02:40:15 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-39665873

Are Scottish juries normally 15? I thought everywhere was 12, or have they added a few extra expecting dropouts?

Was an ex-Rangers Chairman (defence lawyer) cross examining an ex-Rangers Manager about an e-Rangers owner....

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 22, 2017, 04:22:59 PM »

was nice to give the Hibs fans and neutrals hope in todays game after we took a quick lead today

but we look forward to beating who ever in the final

my money is on 3-1 win to dons no matter who we play

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2017, 01:26:04 PM »

The gulf in class in the old firm currently is incredible.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2017, 01:38:18 PM »

not really 1 team has been shipping money trying to get back to the premier the other has been saving and now splashing the cash

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 29, 2017, 03:42:53 PM »

not really 1 team has been shipping money trying to get back to the premier the other has been saving and now splashing the cash

Correction , one team shipped all their money trying to pretend they were a Premier team while in the lower leagues & are now skint. The other are run properly.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 29, 2017, 03:46:41 PM »

Correction , one team shipped all their money trying to pretend they were a Premier team while in the lower leagues & are now skint. The other are run properly.

you have to admit celtic tighten there belts while rangers were missing now celtic are on a very good financial footing and can afford to pay the wages of a much better standard of player and manager

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 29, 2017, 05:06:02 PM »

you have to admit celtic tighten there belts while rangers were missing now celtic are on a very good financial footing and can afford to pay the wages of a much better standard of player and manager

You're missing the point - they were still paying Premier League wages when they started up in the third division. Still taking the squad to 4 star hotels before big games. Because they were Rangers and they had standards to keep up. If Celtic had spent more there was still room to do so because the club is run correctly.

As I said one wasted their money & one were and are run properly.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 29, 2017, 06:56:38 PM »

You're missing the point - they were still paying Premier League wages when they started up in the third division. Still taking the squad to 4 star hotels before big games. Because they were Rangers and they had standards to keep up. If Celtic had spent more there was still room to do so because the club is run correctly.

nah if you read my first post i said a team (rangers) has been shipping money trying to get back into premiership, celtic cut its cloth as it didnt need to spend anywhere near as much to stay ahead of aberdeen
rangers have built up enough debt they could go under again and celtic have clear most of there debts and can spend freely now
gap between celtic and the rest is going to get wider and wider

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 30, 2017, 01:44:13 PM »

nah if you read my first post i said a team (rangers) has been shipping money trying to get back into premiership, celtic cut its cloth as it didnt need to spend anywhere near as much to stay ahead of aberdeen
rangers have built up enough debt they could go under again and celtic have clear most of there debts and can spend freely now
gap between celtic and the rest is going to get wider and wider

And the point I'm making is they didn't ship money to get into the premiership, they shipped money to act the 'big club'. The Rangers spent £20odd million the year they were in the 3rd division, the same year QOS won the 2nd division for less than £250k.

A big difference between shipping money to get promotion & squandering money to act the big shots.

Teacake

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 01, 2017, 01:27:09 PM »

Rods right, as usual.

Celtic haven't even "splashed the cash" we are in the position that we are because we are one of the best run clubs in Britain. We've always been the biggest or second biggest  club in Scotland depending on your view but we were run abysmally for long periods. We now have the best manager, best squad of players, best youth system, best training facilities etc. but you can't underestimate the job Brendan Rodgers has done, this is more or less the same squad that Deila had with the addition of Sinclair and Dembele. He's improved just about every other player in the squad starting from the goalkeeper and he's also built a really strong bond between the players and the support, everyone is singing off the same hymn sheet. Fair play to the board for showing some ambition and getting him here.

If you take Celtic out of the equation the league is actually pretty competitive, Aberdeen have finally taken their fingers out of their arses and have been decent for 2 or 3 years now, Hearts have turned their finances round and just need to sort their manager out, St Johnstone continues to punch above their weight under Tommy Wright, Partick Thistle are improving both and off the park, Roy McGregor runs Ross County properly. Sevco Rangers are obviously a basket but the Dundee teams need to get better and Hibs will be a good addition next season.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 01, 2017, 02:05:23 PM »

Rods right, as usual.

Celtic haven't even "splashed the cash" we are in the position that we are because we are one of the best run clubs in Britain. We've always been the biggest or second biggest  club in Scotland depending on your view but we were run abysmally for long periods. We now have the best manager, best squad of players, best youth system, best training facilities etc. but you can't underestimate the job Brendan Rodgers has done, this is more or less the same squad that Deila had with the addition of Sinclair and Dembele. He's improved just about every other player in the squad starting from the goalkeeper and he's also built a really strong bond between the players and the support, everyone is singing off the same hymn sheet. Fair play to the board for showing some ambition and getting him here.

If you take Celtic out of the equation the league is actually pretty competitive, Aberdeen have finally taken their fingers out of their arses and have been decent for 2 or 3 years now, Hearts have turned their finances round and just need to sort their manager out, St Johnstone continues to punch above their weight under Tommy Wright, Partick Thistle are improving both and off the park, Roy McGregor runs Ross County properly. Sevco Rangers are obviously a basket but the Dundee teams need to get better and Hibs will be a good addition next season.

rangers "splashed the cash " trying toi act the big boys and get back into the SPL in 3 seasons (failed) FACT
celtic tightened there belts there was no need to spend money with no domestic competition FACT
when rangers got back to SPL cheap manager but good enough Delia goes quality manager Rogers comes in FACT
VVD and forster to Southampton and money used to deepen the squad depth rather than marque signings FACT
gap between celtic and aberdeen/rest of SPL has widened immensely this season with the addition of sinclair and dembele each of those players are worth more than any other squad in the SPL put together is worth  FACT
the 4 seasons that rangers were out of the SPL gave celtic a chance to put themselves on a stable footing to ensure the gap between them and the rest of SPL including rangers will be huge for long time and will also give them a chance to make group stages of ECL on a regular basis though the lack of TV money prize money and sponsors money compare to the top 4/5 leagues in europe will mean getting to knockout stages will be equivalent of winning the ECL FACT

Teacake

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 01, 2017, 02:56:56 PM »

You seem determined to have an argument here whilst basically agreeing with what Rod and I are saying. Are you just crabbit because you can't tie down second place Wink

The only thing I'd take real issue with is the point about Rangers being away for 4 seasons allowing Celtic to put themselves on a stable footing. Firstly Rangers were liquidated and a new club was formed and started life in the bottom league (which they shouldn't even have been allowed to do but most clubs bought into the Armageddon myth). Second Celtic were already on a stable footing, we've had a model that's worked for years and has nothing to do with what any other club does, dead or alive. We paid our taxes and NI and didn't use an illegal tax scheme to buy players we couldn't otherwise afford.
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 02, 2017, 11:53:49 PM »

Just because you type FACT in capital letters doesnt actually make it a fact even on the internet.

The court case however anyone following that on twitter.  Absolute scenes, if I wasnt so busy the now I'd take a few weeks off and go and sit in the public gallery. 

@Jamesdoleman has been keeping me going though.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 03, 2017, 10:14:05 AM »

Just because you type FACT in capital letters doesnt actually make it a fact even on the internet.

what makes them facs ar the fact that they are infact facts

celtic didn't F@ck the taxman and have paid all there bills etc etc these debts were very managable
but at the time of Rangers going bust Celtic had debts these debts due to to "success" in europe along with good management have basically been wiped out
allowing celtic to spend more freely now without having to pay interest on £20 million + worth of debt

i am praising celtic here guys, they have done a great job in getting there books balanced something that might/ might not have happened if rangers had by some miracle found an investor who cleared there tax bill for them

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 03, 2017, 12:20:48 PM »

what makes them facs ar the fact that they are infact facts

celtic didn't F@ck the taxman and have paid all there bills etc etc these debts were very managable
but at the time of Rangers going bust Celtic had debts these debts due to to "success" in europe along with good management have basically been wiped out
allowing celtic to spend more freely now without having to pay interest on £20 million + worth of debt

i am praising celtic here guys, they have done a great job in getting there books balanced something that might/ might not have happened if rangers had by some miracle found an investor who cleared there tax bill for them

Praising Celtic but still getting it wrong Iron, your 'FACTS' are opinions, mainly press driven I'd say,  I'd give you a couple of half facts but only because you've shifted slighly on where Rangers 'splashed the cash'.

1 Rangers kept the second highest wage bill in Scotland, from bottom league, all the way up. That's WAY beyond splashing cash to come up - Gretna did it in successive years for £4m - Rangers pissing away approx £70m was grandstanding.

2 The books were balanced before the Rangers Liquidation. Bank loans 2011 £10.9 m, Bank Loans 2016 £6.6m. Hardly major consolidation. (and we had to make large sales to keep books balanced during the years you think we were consolidating).
The biggest debt (post McCann) was run up under Martin O'Neill and the tightening of the belt came under Gordon Strachan & mainly Neil Lennon who was never allowed to splash cash, spending rose a bit in NL's last year, stayed up under RD, but these 3 years of slighly higher spending coincided with large sales, which were used to cover lower incomes.

3. Ronnie Deila was struggling badly in his last season, it was that & his own admitted failure to deal with the pressure that saw him off. The 'experiment' of a promising young coach from abroad having had mixed results the board had to get a Celtic Man, and an experienced manager. The Rodgers signing follows the pattern of the Martin O'Neill signing. This was about getting sales back up and qualifying for Europe, the reappearance of a financially hamstrung Sevco was well down the list of priorities.

4 The VVD & Forster (and Wanyama the year before) money kept things ticking over financially - other players were bought as the board had to release some of that income, but it mostly went to keeping things stable.
To describe what happened under Deila as improving squad depth shows you don't understand what went on. RD's first season he brought in a stack of expensive loan players - which don't improve squad depth. He had a shotgun approach when he did buy & a predilection for buying 'projects'. This strikes me more as trying to make Rodgers' success at  getting players the fans wanted rid of last season playing at the level they currently are fit the 'success paid for when Rangers were missing' argument, that's like giving John Barnes credit for Martin O'Neill's early success, retrospective nonsense.

5 The increased distance is due to an overall improvement - the signings help obviously (1/2 a fact) - but getting performances out of Forrest, Armstrong, Boyata etc is the biggest difference for Celtic. And the gap isn't that different from other years, slightly more, but that's because there's a record to chase. 13/14 we got 99 points, but slacked up at the end of the season - because of the prospect of an Invincibles season, we aren't taking the foot off the gas.

6 Celtic were probably the only club NOT to see significant benefit from the demise of Rangers, struggling in CL qualifying & season ticket sales dropping off as the quality of play  suffered under Ronnie Deila. Many other clubs cleared debt & saw attendances rise. I'll give you that the demise of Rangers gave us an opportunity, but associated with that opportunity was a financial hit, the opportunity wasn't taken.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:29:47 PM by Rod Paradise » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 ... 30 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: