blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:48:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Anyone had a medium to big budget wedding?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone had a medium to big budget wedding?  (Read 3076 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 09:10:49 AM »

£5k is expensive, £30k is a ridiculous amount.

My own wedding came in at c£250 ( admittedly it was 1977) but more recently my daughter's wedding at a good Country House Hotel, 80+ guests, the best roast beef I've eaten in the UK, a barbecue supper, disco, the works came in at less than £3k. The venue staff were brilliant and the day passed off wonderfully well.

So many things you can do with the money you don't blow on a big wedding. Take the holiday of a lifetime for your honeymoon; put it into the house or furniture; tuck it away towards the costs of children; the list is pretty long.

The average for a wedding is way in excess of £5k, more like £15k these days. 'Expensive' is all relative.

average wedding cost last year of a wedding in the UK was nearer 20k

Just a point, the £20k figure seems to come from a wedding planners association. As well as being inflated by the cost of hiring a wedding planner I'm guessing it also has a strong London bias.

I would guess most weddings are regional in small venues,  I'd expect the average overall to probably be closer to £3 - 5k

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 10:31:12 AM »

Cheers for the comments so far. Very similar to what I have had elsewhere.

I know there are a lot of people that have "cheap" weddings and spend less than £1k. I have no issues with that its just not the market I am aiming at with this business plan.

I was amazed when a few friends were spending £10k+ and i know what kind of money they earn and it did not make sense to me but hey ho they dont understand why I want to go to Vegas! Each to there own i suppose.

Im looking at a venue to do accommodation and the actually wedding/do itself. Nothing new I know but i remember hearing in the early days of business there are two ways to make money. Come up with a new idea, or take someone else's idea and do it better than them!

I have seen that wedding planners alone charge 10-15% of the total cost of the wedding with a minimum of say £1.5k never mind food/accommodation.

We are looking to accommodate between 20-30, and be able to host a party for 50-150.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 11:08:53 AM »

Ask anyone who has tried to book a wedding in nicer hotel/venue about how easy it is to get a date, hat tells you the demand for people willing to spend a lot mate. There are tons of people willing to spend a lump, bank of mum and dad and all that.
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »

Ask anyone who has tried to book a wedding in nicer hotel/venue about how easy it is to get a date, hat tells you the demand for people willing to spend a lot mate. There are tons of people willing to spend a lump, bank of mum and dad and all that.

Im ringing all the venues near where we are looking today to see there availability. That should give me a good indication, on the whole i think one of the nearby venues is better but not "done as well" as I would want to. The other venue is not as nice and the advertising is not as good, therefore if they are busy it will be a good indication.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 01:22:48 PM »

Blondes very own Franck Smiley

Ah! The element of surprise
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 02:34:19 AM »

We spent about 8k if I recall correctly and had a fairly small wedding (about 50 guests) from what I have seen and unless you really scrimp and save I think it would be fairly hard to come in under 5k these days for a wedding of that size.

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 03:07:48 AM »

Cheesy I always thought weddings would cost 59k+, naive I guess!

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2014, 04:12:19 AM »

Cheesy I always thought weddings would cost 59k+, naive I guess!

Is this what your been telling the gf? Carnot do it yet, I'll have to win 3 Sundays in a row to recoup that :p

Cheers for all the comments so far hopefully be able to post a positive update in the not to distant future!

"ace high"

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 07:12:14 AM »

We spent about 8k if I recall correctly and had a fairly small wedding (about 50 guests) from what I have seen and unless you really scrimp and save I think it would be fairly hard to come in under 5k these days for a wedding of that size.

That sounds pretty much spot on.

I'm getting married (again) next June. We're getting married in Dovedale on the Staffordshire/Derbyshire border, and the whole do is going to be outside. Obviously, you can't bank on the British weather giving you a rain-free day, so we looked at hiring a marquee. Hiring a marquee to fit 80+ guests isn't cheap. You're talking a few grand. Ridiculous money. So instead we've bought a special "stretch-tent" (for a similar cost to hiring one) that we plan to sell after the wedding and recoup the cost of that.

We're not paying for a church or anything, as we're having a humanist ceremony in the grounds, but we still have to get legally married at a registry office, and that itself costs a few hundred quid.

We're doing something quite different with the food and drink for the wedding, but that can easily cost a fair whack, especially if you're at a posh venue.

A decent photographer can cost well over a grand, same for a videographer. A disco will cost you a few hundred, and if you want a live band, that can cost a chunk as well.

It can easily add up, and that's even if you keep things relatively simple. For a small and modest wedding, I think you're looking at £3k, but if you have forty plus guests and you start adding on "extras", I reckon that a "typical" wedding would be in the region of £10k.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:13:55 AM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: