blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:13:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Paris horror attack
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paris horror attack  (Read 52001 times)
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2015, 05:54:38 PM »

These people were murdered because they wrote satirical pieces about Islam.

The religion is implicated in this atrocity and there is no point in denying it.

True.........but the actions were carried out be extreme factions ,not the vast majority  !!
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2015, 05:55:09 PM »

Yep see your point red.
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2015, 06:10:11 PM »

Moving away from the poor wording of the opening post is it inappropriate for people to make any assumptions based on prior behaviour/current form?

In the 80s when I read that a bomb had gone off in the UK, I would be thinking in my head that it was the IRA before the perpetrator was known.  Would this be inappropriate and anti-catholic?  Should I have equally weighted the possibility of it being Japanese terrorists and kept a completely open mind until confirmation?

The first headline I saw today was "Terror attack in France" with no other details.  What percentage of people would think there is an islamic connection given the last couple of years?  Does that make them bad people?

This is just my opinion of course, but I think firstly there should be a distinction between what you think and what you actually say. What you privately suspect won't make life difficult for innocent people.

Secondly, thinking "I bet it was the IRA" is different than thinking " I bet it was the Catholics"

I fully take your point, but I hope you can you see mine.

This is an excellent point.  As there are so many different and fragmented extremist Islamic terrorist groups around, the news stations don't have a go to name to identify them.  So that go to name quite often becomes XYZ Muslim.

I'd guess if you were a conspiracy theorist, then it would actually be an NWO plot to slowly make our brains associate Muslim/Islam and terrorist all as one and the same.  Which if you talk to some people, then it would appear to have sadly already worked.

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2015, 06:11:03 PM »

Ok I'm not answering question after question just because some of you disagree with what I said. I don't think I've done anything wrong and nobody will change my mind about that, but if you want to debate it amongst yourselves feel free.

Sorry bud but that's what inherent racism is, you think that is a perfectly acceptable sentence and as you have said, nobody is going to change your mind.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2015, 06:19:29 PM »

I don't think I've done anything wrong and nobody will change my mind about that, but if you want to debate it amongst yourselves feel free.

Has Ched Evans hacked Woodsey's account?
bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »

Woodsey is old school , a bit like Dave Whelan the Wigan owner who recently got charged by the F.A.

He says things that would have been acceptable 15-20 years ago and to some are still acceptable today.

Dave Whelan has put a lot of time and money into Wigan Athletic and comes across as a very decent chap.

His comments ( Dave Whelan's ) are racist by todays standards but I think you have to cut a little slack when
you have been using those type of words for the best part of fifty years without any malice/spite/hatred intended
or indeed recourse. Personally I feel Mr Whelan was hard done by and a warning to his future conduct would have
sufficed.

I know Woodsey loves to stir the pot once in a while , I may be old school , but knowing Woodsey I would not say he
was racist per se.

Tom has lived his whole life in the glare of prejudice/racism so is far more aware than most people of being tarred with the same brush and how it affects everything you do.

I understand both sides of the argument , Woodsey calls a spade a spade and in this day and age that offends a few
people.

All good for healthy debate then.........

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2015, 07:21:27 PM »

My dad knew Whelan from before I was born. Said he was racist back then as well.

Racism offended people back in the seventies, it wasn't right then in the same way paedophilia wasn't right then. Just because people got away with it, they weren't heady happy days for those subject to racial discrimination.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:24:07 PM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2015, 07:57:58 PM »

FFS Islam is a religion not a race!

People who dislike a religion aren't racists,
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2015, 08:19:54 PM »

FFS Islam is a religion not a race!

People who dislike a religion aren't racists,

Islamophobia is considered by many people to be a form of racism. Of course, some (like yourself) argue that since Islam is not a race, it cannot be racism. But those who believe that it is a form of racism argue that it shares almost every characteristic of racism, and also that it is often synonymous with Anti-Arab prejudice.

It's like when people tell me that Padooki is not actually a poker game because you only play a 4 card hand, and poker is always 5 cards. Maybe they are right if we are following an exact definition of what poker is... but I still think of Padooki as being a poker game. It shares every other characteristic of poker, so - to me - it is a poker game, rather than a poker-based-variant.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:25:41 PM by Honeybadger » Logged
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2015, 08:22:10 PM »

For what its worth I don't think Woodsey is racist and I do believe he was not intending on offending anybody barring Muslim terrorists (maybe).

I do admit the first I heard of the atrocity I instinctively thought Muslim with the distinct connotation that I actually meant Muslim terrorists. Does this make me a racist?

Ah! The element of surprise
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2015, 08:51:50 PM »

Islamophobia is considered by many people to be a form of racism.

It might be a form of bigotry or prejudice (under certain circumstances), but it can't possibly be racism. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam#mediaviewer/File:Apostasy_laws_in_2013.SVG

That is a lot of countries, some with the death penalty, for people who choose not to believe in fantasy.
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2015, 08:52:37 PM »

For what its worth I don't think Woodsey is racist and I do believe he was not intending on offending anybody barring Muslim terrorists (maybe).

I do admit the first I heard of the atrocity I instinctively thought Muslim with the distinct connotation that I actually meant Muslim terrorists. Does this make me a racist?

There are a lot of people around who would not consider themselves racist, would be offended to be called racist, and are definitely not racists in the sense that they do not go round beating up black people or refusing to give jobs to Asian folk, or whatever.

Nevertheless, some of these people are actually racist. Often subtly so, and often completely unaware. And others may not actually be racist at heart, but may still do or say racist things, without even realising what they are doing. If they could be shown and made to understand exactly how they were being racist they would probably be mortified and would change their behaviour and viewpoints. Because most of them are good, kind people who are simply unaware of their racism.

Lots of people tell racist or sexist jokes even though they would strenuously deny they are racists or sexists. They'd argue it is just a funny joke, no harm is meant, I am not a racist at all etc. And others make subtle racist or sexist comments, without meaning any harm by them, and often without even realising that they are racist/sexist. On its own any single comment is almost completely harmless. But this type of low-level and subtle prejudice is actually extremely pernicious, especially if unchallenged. Taken en masse, all the millions of almost entirely harmless comments have a real effect on the group (sub)consciousness of a society. It builds slowly - drip, drip, drip - and each additional comment helps to normalise prejudiced views and behaviour in our subconscious minds, without us even realising it is happening.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2015, 08:58:20 PM »

cartoonists react to Charlie Hebdo massacre featuring stuff like:

Click to see full-size image.

If we could ignore the 'are all muslims terrorists' debate, that'd be great. because it's obviously not even a real question for anyone who isn't a bigot.

stupid fucking debates like those take away from the fact that 12 people lost their lives today because they drew some cartoons. such insensitive bullshit.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2015, 09:00:47 PM »

Fair point mate, we've forgotten about the real issue with the red mist descending. RIP to the people who have died.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2015, 09:33:07 PM »

With Blonde needing a bit of a post count boost I like this new form of proactive modding. Mods wading in to get the party started in threads is decent strategy. More of this pls.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: