blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:57:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Paris horror attack
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paris horror attack  (Read 51992 times)
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2015, 10:25:57 AM »

Ok, I'll say something.

Firstly I'm a Muslim not a devout one by any stretch of the imagination. My parents are very religious and I use to go to mosque pretty much every day after school from the age of 10 through to around 15. I was never taught to a) blow myself up b) kill the infidels c) look for a decent spot to become martyr etc etc you get my point. I was taught about the history of Islam how to live like a decent human being, respect your parents just generally be a good Muslim. I now go to mosque I'd say 3/4 times a year and still none of the a/b/c etc being brainwashed into me.

My parents live in Pakistan and do not cheer when a terrorist blows himself up/kills innocents in the name of Islam.

I never get involved when a person/persons do something horrific in the name of Islam. It's generally the people with a very low IQ or just plain racists/bigots who have a platform to spout the same shit over and over again.

Woodsey I found the stuff you wrote very offensive but I'm probably never going to meet you and at the end of the day it's a forum where anyone can be a hero with a keyboard.

Some of the cartoons that Charlie Hebdo put up I found offensive but I'm not going to kill someone over it.

40 people were killed in Yemen by terrorists last time I checked a muslim country.

The massacre of children recently in Pakistan by terrorists once again a muslim country.

They don't really care who they kill.

Pretty much a thumbs up to everyone of Red Dogs post.

Cracking post
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2015, 12:19:58 PM »

Ok, I'll say something.

Firstly I'm a Muslim not a devout one by any stretch of the imagination. My parents are very religious and I use to go to mosque pretty much every day after school from the age of 10 through to around 15. I was never taught to a) blow myself up b) kill the infidels c) look for a decent spot to become martyr etc etc you get my point. I was taught about the history of Islam how to live like a decent human being, respect your parents just generally be a good Muslim. I now go to mosque I'd say 3/4 times a year and still none of the a/b/c etc being brainwashed into me.

My parents live in Pakistan and do not cheer when a terrorist blows himself up/kills innocents in the name of Islam.

I never get involved when a person/persons do something horrific in the name of Islam. It's generally the people with a very low IQ or just plain racists/bigots who have a platform to spout the same shit over and over again.

Woodsey I found the stuff you wrote very offensive but I'm probably never going to meet you and at the end of the day it's a forum where anyone can be a hero with a keyboard.

Some of the cartoons that Charlie Hebdo put up I found offensive but I'm not going to kill someone over it.

40 people were killed in Yemen by terrorists last time I checked a muslim country.

The massacre of children recently in Pakistan by terrorists once again a muslim country.

They don't really care who they kill.

Pretty much a thumbs up to everyone of Red Dogs post.

Cracking post

Good post fella.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2015, 01:04:55 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-30722098

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »

Saw this today. Thought it was quite powerful, and goes well with maldini's post.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2015, 08:29:23 PM »

Most moving interview I've seen in years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30751424

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2015, 09:39:52 PM »

I've always been a big fan of Will Self but thought his views came across as rather tepid on ch4 news this evening.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2015, 12:50:07 PM »

Just to put these terrorist attacks into context, someone posted this on another forum I'm on:

Just within the last three days:

2015.01.09 (Rawalpindi, Pakistan) - Eight worshippers are blown to bits by a suicide bomber at a Shia mosque.
2015.01.08 (Baghdad, Iraq) - A Sunni suicide bomber wades into a Shiite mosque and slaughters at least eight worshippers.
2015.01.08 (Baga, Nigeria)  Boko Haram attacks town of Baga in northern Nigeria killing at least 100 people
2015.01.07 (Zhari, Afghanistan) - Taliban bombers take out two children gathering firewood.
2015.01.07 (Baghlan, Afghanistan) - Six road workers are machine-gunned point-blank

The murders in Paris were aimed at a target that had mocked Islam (and religion in general), but surely they'd have found another target if that one hadn't been presented to them. A Jewish centre, a police station, an army barracks, random people in a shopping centre, etc. Those nurturing and promoting the Islamic terrorism have an agenda, and whilst they have disaffected, uneducated, or vulnerable people to use to create the terror and acts of murder, it's going to continue.

Of course, I have no idea what the solution is.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
MPOWER

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2015, 11:13:50 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-30761963

Not in the news.

#shocking

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-30761963

Regards

M
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2015, 11:44:55 PM »

Just to put these terrorist attacks into context, someone posted this on another forum I'm on:

2015.01.09 (Rawalpindi, Pakistan) - Eight worshippers are blown to bits by a suicide bomber at a Shia mosque.
2015.01.08 (Baghdad, Iraq) - A Sunni suicide bomber wades into a Shiite mosque and slaughters at least eight worshippers.
2015.01.08 (Baga, Nigeria)  Boko Haram attacks town of Baga in northern Nigeria killing at least 100 people
2015.01.07 (Zhari, Afghanistan) - Taliban bombers take out two children gathering firewood.
2015.01.07 (Baghlan, Afghanistan) - Six road workers are machine-gunned point-blank

The murders in Paris were aimed at a target that had mocked Islam (and religion in general), but surely they'd have found another target if that one hadn't been presented to them. A Jewish centre, a police station, an army barracks, random people in a shopping centre, etc. Those nurturing and promoting the Islamic terrorism have an agenda, and whilst they have disaffected, uneducated, or vulnerable people to use to create the terror and acts of murder, it's going to continue.

At least I can see a reason for the Paris attack.

What the fuck is the point of the others?

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2015, 12:43:42 AM »

At least I can see a reason for the Paris attack.

What the fuck is the point of the others?

I assume the kids gathering firewood were killed by a mine or an unexploded bomb and it wasn't a case of the Taliban or whoever dropped it or left it deliberately taking them out.  Several children in Vietnam and Laos go the same way each year.  Guess we describe those differently. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2015, 10:08:18 AM »

I agree with the points made above about putting the Paris attacks into context (and perspective). The number killed was very small compared with the numbers in other parts of the world, but Western lives still seem to be valued disproportionately. The same day as the magazine attack, it was reported that Boko Haram had destroyed sixteen towns and villages in Northern Nigeria, killing 2,000 people and displacing 20-30,000. The towns are reported to have been actually razed to the ground. The coverage of this has been sparse compared with the saturation regarding Paris.

Of course, there are reasons for that. It seems more shocking when it has happened in a Western capital, especially one so close; we can easily imagine the Paris situation happening here; the individuals killed were prominent people, and so on. And, of course, media access makes a huge difference. We don't have much access to Northern Nigeria whereas we have been able to watch the movie of the attack in France and follow the exciting chase. Still though, a dozen Western deaths from terrorism = saturation; 2,000 African deaths from terrorism = not much.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2015, 11:39:57 AM »

I well remember a sketch from Not The Nine O'Clock News. I could have only have been 11 or 12 when I saw it, but it left a deep impression.

Pamela Stephenson was reading the news in her gravest voice possible.

"Today, an airplane crashed into the Atlantic.

"It is feared all 372 passengers and crew have been killed.

"In order of importance, on board there were 2 British, 11 Americans, 6 Canadians, 15 Australians, 1 New Zealander, 3 Irish and 334 assorted krauts, frogs, pakis, spicks, wops and dagos".

PathFinder

@AWI_POKER

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2015, 03:34:29 PM »

Not sure if this has been posted but a very good interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5tc48iaki0
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2015, 12:40:25 AM »

Can't embed this for some reason but Fox News need to sack this bloke.

http://youtu.be/w6HwtoOBMaA

Ah! The element of surprise
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2015, 12:50:37 AM »

Can't embed this for some reason but Fox News need to sack this bloke.

What a moron.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: