blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:47:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Hand dead - ruling
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hand dead - ruling  (Read 7755 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2015, 10:17:58 AM »

Quite interesting how this thread developed.

It was quickly established that the player had erred, & his hand - according to the rules - should be declared dead.

But then it changed direction, & 4 or 5 players blamed the Dealer.

We don't know at what venue this arose, so we have no idea if the dealing standard is good, bad, or indifferent.

The original ERROR was by the player, not the Dealer. No question about that. And it's possible that the Dealer should have spotted it, though the OP says "it all happened VERY quickly".

How do we end up pointing fingers at the dealer? The original error was not by the dealer, it was by the player.

Even Matt The Hoople Russell chimed in, "it tilts the shit out of me". How would he ever know, he rarely lasts more than an orbit. Is that the dealers fault, too?

Well spotted David, that would have whooshed all the young dudes.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2015, 11:15:45 AM »

It was quickly established that the player had erred, & his hand - according to the rules - should be declared dead.

We don't know at what venue this arose, so we have no idea if the dealing standard is good, bad, or indifferent.

The original ERROR was by the player, not the Dealer. No question about that. And it's possible that the Dealer should have spotted it, though the OP says "it all happened VERY quickly".

How do we end up pointing fingers at the dealer? The original error was not by the dealer, it was by the player.

Even Matt The Hoople Russell chimed in, "it tilts the shit out of me". How would he ever know, he rarely lasts more than an orbit. Is that the dealers fault, too?

Huh?

Surely the dealer and player that was punished are equally at fault, if at all.  Both should be paying attention so that the next 3 people shouldn't act before the player that was punished. 

If the player is new to the game or a bit of an amateur it is this kind of ruling puts them off.  It is stated this all happened in a few seconds give the guy a break and don't muck his hand. Give the dealer a break as well, you can't concentrate 100% of the time. 

More pictures of valets please to help us make better judgements of situations like this.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 11:20:21 AM »

Huh?

Surely the dealer and player that was punished are equally at fault, if at all.  Both should be paying attention so that the next 3 people shouldn't act before the player that was punished. 

If the player is new to the game or a bit of an amateur it is this kind of ruling puts them off.  It is stated this all happened in a few seconds give the guy a break and don't muck his hand. Give the dealer a break as well, you can't concentrate 100% of the time. 

More pictures of valets please to help us make better judgements of situations like this.

The FIRST mistake was by the player. We can't blame the dealer for that, imo, especially as, allegedly, it all happened so quickly.

Valet photos? No problem.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »

Huh?

The FIRST mistake was by the player. We can't blame the dealer for that, imo, especially as, allegedly, it all happened so quickly.

And the second mistake was by the dealer - I'm not sure how it was relevant that the player did something wrong first. Isn't it part of the dealer's job to control the table?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 12:22:58 PM »

Not sure if you mean the original player in seat two but cannot see how he can be blamed for other players acting OOT.

Soo easy for the others players to collude if all they have two do is instantly make 2 bets that render the original players hand dead
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 12:37:28 PM »

Yeh I think this ruling needs adjusting.

Bill and Bob are best pals and are 3 handed with Jenny. Bill raises the button and Jenny 3 bets the small blind. Bill and Bob both call knowing that as soon as the flop comes down, hell, even before the flop comes down, Bill bets and Bob raises and Jenny's hand is now dead. 

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2015, 12:40:40 PM »

Well spotted David, that would have whooshed all the young dudes.

And the follow up would've whooshed many of the older ones.....

Fwiw I wasn't blaming the dealer for this incident as I don't know what was going on. I just know that I've seen dealers miss lots of action because they aren't concentrating on what they're being paid to do.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 12:42:35 PM »

And it's possible that the Dealer should have spotted it, though the OP says "it all happened VERY quickly".

If it all happened very quickly - how was seat 2 (who has had his hand killed) meant to stop it if the dealer couldn't?
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 01:56:55 PM »

Huh?

And the second mistake was by the dealer - I'm not sure how it was relevant that the player did something wrong first. Isn't it part of the dealer's job to control the table?

Well the original mistake is by the guy that acted out of turn. The next players to act OOT have made a mistake but they have seen the guy in their right act and believe the action to be on them. The player who was supposed to act 1st hasnt made any mistake yet in the ruling he is the only one punished.

I think the dealer should be paying enough attention that when the first OOT guy checks and the next 2 are betting and raising that they are stopping the action and returning it to the original player before it has gotten out of hand. Obviously it's not the dealers fault that someone acted out of turn but I think the dealer should absolutely notice it and react to it way faster than the person who is losing their action.

The rule seems to be set up to say that the player who was supposed to act is supposed to notice this and act on it and if they take an unreasonable amount of time to do this or an unreasonable amount of action occurs behind them that their hand is dead, I think if the dealer is doing their job it should never get to that stage.

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 02:26:34 PM »

Bill and Bob are best pals and are 3 handed with Jenny. Bill raises the button and Jenny 3 bets the small blind. Bill and Bob both call knowing that as soon as the flop comes down, hell, even before the flop comes down, Bill bets and Bob raises and Jenny's hand is now dead. 

You don't even need collusion.  The second to act can just bet and hope to get an insta-fold and then first to act's hand is dead.  ez money
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2015, 03:23:10 PM »

You don't even need collusion.  The second to act can just bet and hope to get an insta-fold and then first to act's hand is dead.  ez money

I think it needs "two positive actions" to rule the hand dead, a bet and a raise, or a bet and a call? (Positive action = action with chips?).

A bet and a fold wouldn't count as two positive actions so I think his hand would still be live in your example.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2015, 04:24:31 PM »

I think it needs "two positive actions" to rule the hand dead, a bet and a raise, or a bet and a call? (Positive action = action with chips?).

A bet and a fold wouldn't count as two positive actions so I think his hand would still be live in your example.

tda rules

35:   Substantial Action.

Substantial Action is either: A) any two actions in turn, at least one of which puts chips in the pot (i.e. any 2 actions except 2 checks or 2 folds)....

Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2015, 04:45:07 PM »

There are quite a few generally accepted rules in poker that are utterly illogical and should be done away with. This is one of them.

There is no logical reason for his hand being declared dead. If this is the rule, then it is a very bad rule. If a rule is required to prevent the first player angle-shooting then it should be that once two players have taken any action after him (checking would be included) he is deemed to have checked, but his hand is still live.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2015, 04:58:32 PM »

Is the substantial action rule what is being applied here? I know that's the rule for preflop (no misdeal after substantial action), but is it different here?

If not it's even more absurd. Then Bill bets and Bob snap folds, then Jennys hand is also dead?!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2015, 04:59:41 PM »

There are quite a few generally accepted rules in poker that are utterly illogical and should be done away with. This is one of them.

There is no logical reason for his hand being declared dead. If this is the rule, then it is a very bad rule. If a rule is required to prevent the first player angle-shooting then it should be that once two players have taken any action after him (checking would be included) he is deemed to have checked, but his hand is still live.

What if there is substantial action before the player who misses out?

e.g. if someone goes all in  - player doesn't act - two players after them fold?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: