blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:14:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Your own death.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your own death.  (Read 4122 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2015, 09:57:53 AM »

If you had to choose and the knowledge couldn't change the outcome, would you rather know the date or the cause?

I'm going for cause. I just hope I'm not murdered by a beautiful woman.

The older I get, the better I was.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 10:10:16 AM »

I don't think I'd like to know either, I'd think about it too much.  If I had to choose, probably the cause - wouldn't mind being murdered by a beautiful woman!

How could you not change the outcome in certain scenarios ?  If I die in a train crash, I could just avoid trains and train tracks from now on.

The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 10:10:19 AM »

It would have to be the date for me, main reason so that I could make sure I had tidied up any draws that may contain things others should not see, thrown out any tatty undergarments !.

P.S Tatty undergarments  = old fav comfy items.  Grin

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:12:13 AM by The_nun » Logged

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 10:11:14 AM »

Getting your affairs in order is a good point, perhaps the date.

What if it's next week though?  I'd spend from now until then worrying.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 10:20:16 AM »

For most people the cause of death is fairly obvious as it approaches ie a disease of some kind, so it would be fairly pointless having that info.

The date would be quite useful if you asked for it when approaching retirement, as you would be able to plan your finances perfectly, which might compensate for any negative effects of knowing how long you had to live.

Can't see what use either would be to a younger person, but if they were forced to choose, I suppose cause would be best as this wouldn't be upsetting for most people.
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 10:28:34 AM »

For most people the cause of death is fairly obvious as it approaches ie a disease of some kind, so it would be fairly pointless having that info.

The date would be quite useful if you asked for it when approaching retirement, as you would be able to plan your finances perfectly, which might compensate for any negative effects of knowing how long you had to live.

Can't see what use either would be to a younger person, but if they were forced to choose, I suppose cause would be best as this wouldn't be upsetting for most people.

What if the cause was some kind of accident like a car crash, or choking? You'd end up being terrified of every trip or meal, wondering if this was the one.
I'd rather know the date if I had to choose. At least you could live your life with wild abandon up to that point.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 10:34:45 AM »

What about if you're allowed to choose both?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2009/jul/14/assisted-suicide-dignitas

I don't fear death, but no one wants a protracted and painful death - it's more a fear of the actual "dying" and not wanting to suffer for me. Something like motor neurone disease would be particularly horrible for me I think, and something like Alzheimer's must be particularly hard for friends and family to go through.

So as to the question, I think I'd like to know when, so I can make the most of what's left and make sure I get done what I want to do before I pop my clogs.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:37:08 AM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 11:26:57 AM »

I don't fear death, but no one wants a protracted and painful death - it's more a fear of the actual "dying" and not wanting to suffer for me. Something like motor neurone disease would be particularly horrible for me I think, and something like Alzheimer's must be particularly hard for friends and family to go through.

So as to the question, I think I'd like to know when, so I can make the most of what's left and make sure I get done what I want to do before I go to Heaven.

FYP

The older I get, the better I was.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 11:29:50 AM »

What if the cause was some kind of accident like a car crash, or choking? You'd end up being terrified of every trip or meal, wondering if this was the one.
I'd rather know the date if I had to choose. At least you could live your life with wild abandon up to that point.

The vast majority of causes are going to be age related and the ones that aren't could happen when your older as well.    Whereas knowing you are going to die young wouldn't be a great imo, as one of the major advantages of being young is believing that you are immortal.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 11:51:59 AM »

So as to the question, I think I'd like to know when, so I can make the most of what's left and make sure I get done what I want to do before I pop my clogs.

Happy to die now, now that I've found something to agree with kinboshi on Sad

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »

Would have to be date......

If it was cause, and I knew it was say car accident, then I would absolutely crap myself everytime I got into a car!  What kind of fear would I be living in?  Not good.

But if it was date, then at least I can do as much as I can and tie up all the loose ends beforehand, and hopefully be mentally strong enough in the build up to accept that this is it.
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 07:50:08 AM »

So as to the question, I think I'd like to know when, so I can make the most of what's left and make sure I get done what I want to do before I go to Heaven.

FYP

Lol.

Date for me,

Tricia and I live for our family, we are a small but very close unit.

I'd want to ensure they are well prepared for my passing.

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 10:40:26 AM »

My Grandad knew both.

He knew the date when he would die.

And he knew how it would happen.

He didn't know it his whole life - just from when the judge told him.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 10:44:41 AM »

My Grandad knew both.

Crikey.

If it's not too personal or intrusive, could you enlarge on that, please?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 12:39:13 PM »

My Grandad knew both.

Crikey.

If it's not too personal or intrusive, could you enlarge on that, please?

Whooooshhhhh

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad, not screaming and crying like the passengers on his coach.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: