blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:49:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  On this day........
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: On this day........  (Read 202964 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2015, 08:31:39 AM »

There is another royal connection today.

On 9 April 1483, the twelve year old Edward V succeeded his father, Edward IV to the throne. His Lord Protector, the Duke of Gloucester, soon found himself in the fortunate position: a sermon preached that the late Edward IV had been betrothed to another woman before marrying, rendering his children (the young king and his brother, the Duke of York) Fitzroys - illegitimate. Now, just 86 days later, the Duke of Gloucester, Richard III was King.

He duly made sure his young predecessor was properly supervised...by locking him and his brother in the inner reaches of Tower of London, where they had been living in the summer. They disappeared shortly afterwards, their bodies discovered some two centuries later. The Princes in the Tower.

Click to see full-size image.

I do wish her Maj would allow the two little skeletons that are believed to be the princes to be forensically examined.

I know that wouldn't help find out who did actually kill them, but it would be great if they could at least prove their identity, which is entirely possible now they have their uncles DNA.

How come she gets the say so?

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2015, 08:50:48 AM »

On 9 April 1483, the twelve year old Edward V succeeded his father, Edward IV to the throne. His Lord Protector, the Duke of Gloucester, soon found himself in the fortunate position: a sermon preached that the late Edward IV had been betrothed to another woman before marrying, rendering his children (the young king and his brother, the Duke of York) Fitzroys - illegitimate. Now, just 86 days later, the Duke of Gloucester, Richard III was King.

He duly made sure his young predecessor was properly supervised...by locking him and his brother in the inner reaches of Tower of London, where they had been living in the summer. They disappeared shortly afterwards, their bodies discovered some two centuries later. The Princes in the Tower.

I do wish her Maj would allow the two little skeletons that are believed to be the princes to be forensically examined.

I know that wouldn't help find out who did actually kill them, but it would be great if they could at least prove their identity, which is entirely possible now they have their uncles DNA.

She can do or say anything she wants. She owns everything, the country, swans, you & me, Kizzy, Camel, KMac, everyone & everything. 

A little more respect please, or you'll find yourself locked in a dungeon, possibly with an alligator.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2015, 09:18:36 AM »

Next of kin? 

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2015, 10:01:43 AM »

Next of kin? 

Well precisely. We don't know do we?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2015, 01:18:08 PM »

1981 - Brixton Riot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Brixton_riot

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2015, 06:46:29 PM »

By the King: “Whereas, some differences hath arisen between Our subjects of South and North Britaine travelling by Seas, about the bearing of their Flagges: For the avoiding of all contentions hereafter. We have, with the advice of our Council, ordered: That from henceforth all our Subjects of this Isle and Kingdome of Great Britaine, and all our members thereof, shall beare in their main-toppe the Red Crosse, commonly called St. George’s Crosse, and the White Crosse, commonly called St. Andrew’s Cross, joyned together according to the forme made by our heralds, and sent by Us to our ‘Admerall’ to be published to our Subjects: and in their fore-toppe our Subjects of South Britaine shall weare the Red Crosse onely as they were wont, and our Subjects of North Britaine in their fore-toppe the White Crosse onely as they were accustomed”. – 1606, ,James I

This

Is 409 years old today.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2015, 11:48:58 AM »

Tiger Woods became, at 21, the youngest ever winner on The Masters, & he did so by a whopping 12 strokes.

What a journey he has had since then, one way & another. Who could have scripted that story?

I noticed last night he even has a bald patch now. The Seniors Tour beckons, Tiger.  

Life goes past so quickly.

The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2015, 11:45:12 AM »

Good thread Tikay, always good to look back on events, often surprising how quickly times goes on.
My local weekly  paper does bits from 25,50 and 100 years ago - always interesting.

Our local paper also did those, unfortunately rather upset my Nan a few years ago when one for 100 years ago referred to a couple of people being arrested (for very minor things) and she pointed out that it was her father and uncle. 
did not know we came from the wrong side of the tracks!
The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2015, 11:54:06 AM »

Tiger Woods became, at 21, the youngest ever winner on The Masters, & he did so by a whopping 12 strokes.

What a journey he has had since then, one way & another. Who could have scripted that story?

I noticed last night he even has a bald patch now. The Seniors Tour beckons, Tiger.  

Life goes past so quickly.

And presented by the previous winner Nick Faldo, probably the best golfer england has produced, who will I believe be making his final Open appearance this year as it is at St Andrews.

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2015, 05:19:01 PM »

Died 70 years ago.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2015, 05:34:18 PM »

Died 70 years ago.

Yes. On the last transport.

Her diary would have been lost forever if the Gestapo hadn't emptied her suitcase on to the floor so that they could use it to carry stolen valuables in.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2015, 05:41:36 PM »

And in a rather different world, 15 years ago, this scary looking chap was sent to prison for the M25 Road Rage murder.

His wiki is a remarkable story. I have a sneaking admiration for the likes of the Krays, Richardsons, Freddie Foreman, Frankie Fraser, Joey Pile, & even the Train Robbers up to a point, but this man was different gravy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Noye

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2015, 05:47:52 PM »

Apollo 13 suffered serious problems, well beyond the reach of the AA or RAC, but somehow, they limped home. Subsequently, numerous books, TV series, & even a film chronicled the whole story.

NASA HQ guided the wounded ship home, aided by all those state of the art computers

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2015, 06:01:25 PM »

Russia pulled out of Afghanistan, which was then able to resume a peaceful existence.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 59 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: