blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:37:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  On this day........
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: On this day........  (Read 202972 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: August 08, 2015, 05:02:27 PM »

I was reading somewhere that the train robbers stole the equivalent of 48 million in today's money.

Possibly. Think it was £2.6 million iirc.

They certainly never profited from it, or not much, most got between 27 & 30 years in prison. The £2.6 million had to be chopped about 20 ways, too, so about £130,000 each, much of which went on paying hush money, or trying to escape arrest.

Wonderful story all in all.

I wonder if Jack Mills thought it wonderful?

The Great Escape was a wonderful story. People got killed, but it was still a wonderful story.

The older I get, the better I was.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 08, 2015, 05:45:30 PM »

I was reading somewhere that the train robbers stole the equivalent of 48 million in today's money.

They certainly never profited from it, or not much, most got between 27 & 30 years in prison. The £2.6 million had to be chopped about 20 ways, too, so about £130,000 each, much of which went on paying hush money, or trying to escape arrest.

The Great Escape was a wonderful story. People got killed, but it was still a wonderful story.

There is a huge difference between the fight for freedom and thuggery though.

Ah! The element of surprise
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: August 08, 2015, 05:53:59 PM »

I agree, but I'm not sure that that means it's not a wonderful story.

What about The Krays, Jack the Ripper, WWII?

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 08, 2015, 05:55:34 PM »

I wouldn't say wonderful I would say fascinating.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: August 08, 2015, 05:58:22 PM »

Anyway, didn't The Great Escape involve thuggery?

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 08, 2015, 06:00:04 PM »

By the Germans?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: August 08, 2015, 06:02:36 PM »

By the Germans?

Yes.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 09, 2015, 10:00:58 AM »

Perhaps a clumsy choice of adjective, but I think you know what I intended. Whatever way you look at it, it was a compelling story, one of the great news stories in my lifetime.

As to Jack, of course it was a nasty piece of business, and I would never suggest otherwise, but the media portrayal was dreadfully unbalanced. He was back at work within months, and it was 7 years later that he passed away, aged 65, after suffering from leukaemia.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 09, 2015, 10:14:07 AM »

Just 3 days after the ghastly Hiroshima bombing, the USA dropped a 2nd Atomic Bomb - rather glibly nicknamed "Fat Man" -  on Nagasaki.

Both cities were, literally, obliterated. Those close to the blast were incinerated, turned to ash, many others died slowly & painfully from burns, or radiation sickness, & unborn babies became hideously malformed. Arguably, it was amongst the worst 3 days of man-made horror in modern history.

The Japanese surrendered 6 days later.

Cost - 240,000 killed, mostly civilians.

Return - end of the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 09, 2015, 10:34:51 AM »

Film star Sharon Tate, along with 6 others, were sadistically murdered by Charles Manson & his fellow miscreants. Sharon was 8 months pregnant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharon_Tate

The murders were not committed by Manson, but were carried out on his instruction.

He was sentenced to death, but the law changed & it was commuted to life imprisonment. He remains in prison even now, 46 years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Manson#Manson_Family

It is easy to assume Manson was pure evil, but in probability, he was clinically insane.

Click to see full-size image.

Manson claimed he had been inspired to go on the rampage of killing by.....The Beatles White Album.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 11, 2015, 06:57:14 PM »

Prime Minister Edward Heath, & his yacht, "Morning Cloud", won the prestigious Admiral's Cup, with Mr Heath as Team Captain.

He carried on sailing at the highest level until the tragic 1979 Fastnet Race, in which 15 competitors died, after which he quit sailing.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 11, 2015, 07:01:52 PM »

Ronnie Kray is allowed out of prison to attend his mother's funeral.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 11, 2015, 07:13:52 PM »

In one of the most dramatic Olympic races ever, Zola Budd tangled with the USA's Mary Decker. Miss Decker became a little upset with Miss Budd.

Zola represented Great Britain at the '84 Olympics, & South Africa @ the '92 Olympics.

She held numerous world records for distance running.

Miss Budd was a truly world class runner, made even more remarkable, in the days before the sports equipment companies convinced us all we needed to pay fortunes for quality running shoes & equipment, by the fact that Miss Budd ran her races barefoot

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 12, 2015, 12:08:17 PM »

Great Train Robber Charles Wilson, sentenced to 30 years, escaped after just 4 months.

He was a career criminal, but eventually met with a messy death. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Wilson_(criminal)

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 12, 2015, 12:12:16 PM »

Unrest was growing in Northern Ireland, and a riot in Bogside was quelled by tear gas, the first time it had been used in such circumstances in the UK.

What a ghastly situation the whole NI thing was.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 ... 59 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: