blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:03:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  On this day........
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: On this day........  (Read 203002 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: August 15, 2015, 11:34:57 AM »

i far preferred trevor bailey on TMS

Fred was too Yorkshire. Rude, full of his own self importance and became a caricature

"I just don't know what's going off out there"

"in my day"

etc etc

Trevor was proper essex stock, objectively critical without being overly stubborn as yorkshiremen tend to be

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #496 on: August 15, 2015, 11:38:10 AM »

Fred was too Yorkshire. Rude, full of his own self importance and became a caricature

"in my day"

etc etc

Trevor was proper essex stock, objectively critical without being overly stubborn as yorkshiremen tend to be

I refer the honorable gentleman to the post I made earlier.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 15, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »

"in my day"

etc etc

Ahh yes, TB was another TMS great. He could be cutting, too, without the overt rudeness though.

TMS was the abso nuts at the time. Now we have to listen to Mr Tuffnell.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: August 15, 2015, 12:11:45 PM »

I was in the Ricoh yesterday, waiting for my seat in the Goliath. I had a long wait because my ticket number was C 08. (I managed to spin it up to a B 08 but that's another story).

Anyway, I eventually got seated, played a few levels and then it was time for the dinner break. I decided not to have dinner because I had been eating all day while playing cash and waiting for my seat, so I found an empty chair at an electronic roulette table and watched the other players as they went in to eat.

Once everyone was settled, a player from down South who shall remain nameless came and sat beside me. We made a bit of small talk and then one of the players in the dining room, (another Southerner) noticed the bloke sitting beside me and leapt to his feet shouting "Hey so and so, it's great to see you. How have you been?" Then he ran across the floor to where we were standing, lifted the bloke from the seat beside me, hugged him for about five minuets and then ushered him across to his table saying, "You must come and join us, I'll order you some food".

At the table next to them Lawrence Gosney sat watching the performance. When the fuss had died down he inclined his head slightly in my direction as a signal for me to approach. I arrived at his table and without speaking or looking up from his plate he passed me a chicken drumstick. Wordlessly, I took it, turned on my heel and left.

True story.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 16, 2015, 12:16:18 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 16, 2015, 12:22:33 PM »

Sleepy Lynmouth in Devon was devastated by an almighty flood.

A stunning nine inches of rain fell in 24 hours,  & cascaded off Exmoor into Lynmouth.

34 people died, 28 of Lynmouth's 31 bridges were washed away, 38 cars were washed out to sea, & the lighthouse collapsed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynmouth_Flood

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 16, 2015, 12:27:33 PM »

52 years later, to the day, flooding hit Cornwall this time, with Boscastle faring worst, after 3 inches of rain fell in an hour.

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 16, 2015, 12:37:17 PM »

Wow, is that 11 years ago Boscastle ?? !  
Also Visit Lynton and Lynemouth quite regular, lovely down there and the memorial hall is worth a visit if you are interested in local history, some tales of amazing bravery and humanity.

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 16, 2015, 01:58:36 PM »

I'd not known about the Lynemouth tragedy. I remember the moment I found out Elvis died like it was yesterday.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 16, 2015, 02:02:44 PM »

I'd not known about the Lynemouth tragedy. I remember the moment I found out Elvis died like it was yesterday.

Weird, but I don't have any memory at all of Elvis dying. I was never an Elvis fan, to be fair, complete waste of space, but its a bit odd I simply don't remember him dying, the papers & wireless must have been all over it.

Are we sure he's not still here somewhere?

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 16, 2015, 02:04:51 PM »

Babe Ruth dies

On August 16, 1948, baseball legend George Herman “Babe” Ruth dies from cancer in New York City. For two days following, his body lay in state at the main entrance to Yankee Stadium, and tens of thousands of people stood in line to pay their last respects.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 16, 2015, 02:05:28 PM »

The Lynmouth thing was awful - 34 deaths in a single incident in the UK is almost as bad as it gets.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 16, 2015, 02:06:18 PM »

Madonna born

On this day in 1958, Madonna Louise Ciccone, the entertainment icon later known around the world by her first name only, is born near Detroit, Michigan. After rising to stardom as a pop singer and dancer in the 1980s

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: August 16, 2015, 05:20:43 PM »

Weird, but I don't have any memory at all of Elvis dying. I was never an Elvis fan, to be fair, complete waste of space

Is that just a throwaway line or is there some reasoning attached?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 17, 2015, 09:37:40 AM »

Weird, but I don't have any memory at all of Elvis dying. I was never an Elvis fan, to be fair, complete waste of space

Is that just a throwaway line or is there some reasoning attached?

I just never really took to him or his music. In a way, it's one of those irrational dislikes, no real substance to my view, I just never enjoyed his stuff.

And then, of course, he started churning out those quite dreadful films, one after the other back to back. I guess they were a commercial success, & people flocked to the cinemas to see them - cinemas were all the rage in those days. And that really is what most sticks in my mind, the awful films & all that dreadful media hype.

I visited Hawaii twice in the eighties, & they were Elvis mad there. Many of the scenes for Blue Hawaii were shot on Waikiki Beach & Diamond Head, which are, I guess, the top two tourist attractions on Oahu, & there are tat shops galore there trading on his name, it was all so cheesy.

Now, of course, if we walk down Fremont Street, there are always 3 or 4 Elvis impersonators. 

I flew to Vegas one year & Bruce Atkinson was in the row behind me. Bruce is an OK guy, he is, but he did - still does - what might be the worst Elvis impression ever, consisting of a deep voiced two syllable "uh-ah". During the 10 hour flight he repeated that impression 13,927 times.

So not, not a thruway line, but I'll concede, it's an irrational dislike really.

We - or I, anyway - just take against people sometimes, with no good reason. Anyway, Cliff Richard was better.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 ... 59 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: