blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2024, 12:50:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272983 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Mr Nigel Pearson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mr Nigel Pearson  (Read 6932 times)
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 02:11:27 PM »

I've always liked Pearson and still do but it might be a good idea for him to let someone elso do the post-match interviews.

I really like his style in interviews. He seems always to be searching for the right word in giving a considered response, but you just know that underneath it all he's having to fight to stop himself from laughing at the question.

Would pay money to see him and Garth Crooks across a table a la Smith & Jones.

That's a first for Blonde, somebody wanting to see Gareth Crooks do anything except disappear.

Somehow I doubt there'd be much left of Garth at the end of the interview.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 02:36:51 PM »

FWIW I think the journo is 100% correct.

For a team in the bottom 3 for most of the season Leicester/Pearson have almost completely avoided criticism.

Why should it be fair to criticise a Manager of a team who happens to be bottom, or doing badly?

On that basis, we should all diss Sean Dyche, but we don't, because we know he has no resources & the worst team. That's not his fault though, & just because Burnley are not good enough, it does not make Dyche (or Pearson at Leicester) a bad manager.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 02:39:49 PM »

and under FFP its not easy for a promoted side, however rich, to really go for it unless you have huge attendances/off the field income etc to counter the transfer/wage spending

this is an issue Bournemouth will have. not sure how the watford co-ownership mitigates it, probably ship in a load of udinese players for next season

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 03:06:08 PM »

and under FFP its not easy for a promoted side, however rich, to really go for it unless you have huge attendances/off the field income etc to counter the transfer/wage spending

this is an issue Bournemouth will have. not sure how the watford co-ownership mitigates it, probably ship in a load of udinese players for next season

If, say, Mourinho was given the job of Burnley Manager, but with the same resources, they would still likely be bottom, & he'd still be a good Manager. Just because a team does badly does not mean we are right to criticise the Manager.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 03:08:30 PM »

I'm not sure they would be bottom. Jose a master at setting teams up not to lose but get the general point. It's an interesting argument. Like if u put messi or ronaldo in that team they'd surely stay up right?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 03:10:32 PM »

If, say, Mourinho was given the job of Burnley Manager, but with the same resources, they would still likely be bottom, & he'd still be a good Manager. Just because a team does badly does not mean we are right to criticise the Manager.

Kevin Pullien is a stats writer in the racing post and one of the very few writers in the post who show a profit most years on his bets.  He has run data for decades showing that the correlation between wage bills and league position is pretty much rock solid year in year out without hardly any major blips at all.   Burnley would still be pretty certain to go down given their current budget whoever was the manager imo.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 03:11:32 PM »

I'm not sure they would be bottom. Jose a master at setting teams up not to lose but get the general point. It's an interesting argument. Like if u put messi or ronaldo in that team they'd surely stay up right?

They may, or may not, stay up in that scenario.

Both would still be great players though, even if they went down.

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 03:14:57 PM »

I imagine the rules will change soon, but at the moment Watford run at a profit.  The Udinese network don't pay high wages and the players are all transferred for free.

Don't expect to see any overpaid premier league basement dweller players to arrive (eg Caulker) as they simply won't pay those kind of wages.  My expectation is top young championship players (to fill the home grown quota) plus experienced European players on top.  I had heard of very few of the new arrivals the last few years and many of them have been fantastic in terms of technical quality and pace.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 03:18:16 PM »

They may, or may not, stay up in that scenario.

Both would still be great players though, even if they went down.

Burnley would finish top half just by adding messi or Ronaldo to their team.  Suarez added 45 goals to liverpool last year to this year and about 20 points more.  Imagine what the best 2 in teh world would do to a team with very little talent.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 03:24:47 PM »

in this afternoon's press conference for saturday's game

My eyes are open wide
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 05:38:58 PM »

What?  Can't believe this thread - I love Pearson.  Think he's a great manager and I like that he always appears on the verge of going nuts.

I remember the absolute dignity he showed after the Watford semi final when Knockaert missed that pen and Deeney scored at the other end.

I'd take him at Watford in a shot

Love Nigel.

He was a hero as a player for us at Hillsborough and as captain lifted the league cup against Man Ltd in 1991

Met him a few times and always humble

I also know he makes himself a media shield for the team so commands the player's respect

Most people lose it from time to time. Right ?
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 07:26:53 PM »

For a team in the bottom 3 for most of the season Leicester/Pearson have almost completely avoided criticism.

Why should it be fair to criticise a Manager of a team who happens to be bottom, or doing badly?

On that basis, we should all diss Sean Dyche, but we don't, because we know he has no resources & the worst team. That's not his fault though, & just because Burnley are not good enough, it does not make Dyche (or Pearson at Leicester) a bad manager.

I didn't say it would be right to critise Pearson.

I'm just saying he has avoided any of the flack usually associated with managing a team in the bottom 3.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 07:31:52 PM »

I'm just saying he has avoided any of the flack usually associated with managing a team in the bottom 3.

Agreed, but I have a bee in my bonnet on the subject generally, and I saw an opening, swivelled, volleyed it, but hit the crossbar.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 07:33:30 PM »

He hasn't though

Mostly self inflicted he's had 4-5 rucks this season with journalists, been fined and touchlined for swearing at a fan (who himself was way out of order), been sacked and re-instated later the same day, banned BBC radio....

not exactly all sweetness and light

dyche (lack of resources, small club) has got a free pass and thats fair enough

the press ate out of redknapp's pockets (all those big signings, big name players and QPR consistently underperforming)  until he left with his knee injury that wasn't a month later too. i'd argue he got way more of a easy ride than pearson has

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 07:42:37 PM »

and, if i was being critical, Dyche spent his promotion transfer budget on Jutciewicz and Marvin Sordell

i know it would have been a struggle regardless, and the job to get promiotion was fantastic, but the universal view that he's the best thing since sliced bread falls down slightly when you look at how he tried to strengthen the squad....

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: