blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2024, 09:19:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273999 Posts in 66761 Topics by 16949 Members
Latest Member: rockethour
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Is Justin Gatlin getting better with age?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Justin Gatlin getting better with age?  (Read 6778 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2015, 01:19:03 PM »

33 year old American 100m sprinter, Justin Gatlin, ran 9.74 seconds in Doha on Friday and, in doing so, ran a personal best. He isn't the first guy over thirty to run a personal best: Linford Christie ran his at 33, for example. Michael Johnson broke the one lap record at 31.

For those who don't know the backstory, Gatlin was one of the elite sprinters around, mixing it with the biggest of big boys in the mid-to-late 2000s. He won gold in the Athens Olympics and in the world championships the following year in Finland. He equalled the world record of 9.77 in 2006 in Doha (where he ran the other day).

He earned those medals after returning early from a ban, given to him for a positive test  for amphetamines in 2001.

In 2006, a couple of months after that world record run, he was informed that he had failed another doping test, this time for a substance believed to be testosterone. The 9.77 time was annulled and the eight years ban he negotiated in exchange for assistance with an anti-doping body was downgraded at the end of 2007 to a four year ban.

He tried to get a career in the NFL but quick guys are ten a penny (see Dwayne Chambers) and he didn't make the grade.

So, back to the track he came in 2010 at 28 years old and, since then, he has been competing at the top level again.

He denies ever doing anything wrong (unlike his returning contemporaries) and denies getting an advantage from cheating.

Is it plausible - is it possible - that a man who served a significant sentence for having used a performance enhancing substance in his twenties is now running faster without drugs?

It's an oft-trotted debate and we have had stuff like this before on blonde, but Gatlin is a hugely divisive figure in athletics and the integrity of the showpiece event of the men's 100m craves perfection, but not at any price.

Over to you...

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 01:24:38 PM »

Older you get the better the drugs get!!!

It is impossible imo to run sub 9.8 clean.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 01:33:34 PM »

unfortunately fairly sure that the athletes are ahead of the testers, masking stuff etc etc

not a hope in hell Gatlin will ever get the respect such times deserve, and nor should he because there has to be a better than evens chance that this isn't a clean time

in general terms, as harsh as this seems, but you can pop much of athletics in with much of cycling. (astana for example......currently)

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:43:34 PM »

The guys a doper, end of, same for any American sprinter and most of the world.

About time cheaters got life bans
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 01:52:43 PM »

Obviously Gatlan should GTFO. He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I am fairly sure I read something a year or two back where somebody had theorised that you can still benefit from performance enhancing drugs long after you took them.  This was because some of the effects of the drugs on the body were permanent.  Can't find it now though.  Not saying it applies in this case, because it looks more than that.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 04:22:23 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/32793198

Gatlin's time of 9.74 from Friday's Doha Diamond League meeting is the fastest in the world so far this year and joint-sixth quickest 100m time in history.
"It's crazy. I have no idea what they were thinking. I think they thought I wasn't man enough and I might pull up in the race, or not finish it and then still ask for money," added Gatlin.
"But I'm not a man like that. I'm not the kind of guy to cheat people of their money or let the fans down ... that's not what I do."

You have to laugh how deluded this guy is.
KitKeeper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 04:27:42 PM »

I don't dislike the guy as much as I should... If you're very good at a sport where they'll happily overlook indiscretions such as these twice over, you may as well make as much money as you can out of it while the going's good. He's taking advantage of incredibly loose controls.

The system absolutely stinks to high heaven. Very much a case of hating the game more than the player.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 04:28:37 PM »

Gatlin's time of 9.74 from Friday's Doha Diamond League meeting is the fastest in the world so far this year and joint-sixth quickest 100m time in history.
"It's crazy. I have no idea what they were thinking. I think they thought I wasn't man enough and I might pull up in the race, or not finish it and then still ask for money," added Gatlin.
"But I'm not a man like that. I'm not the kind of guy to cheat people of their money or let the fans down ... that's not what I do."

read that as well.

not deluded.

just back on the smack
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 04:30:08 PM »

Juice me up, buttercup.

nellberg

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 06:01:44 PM »

I read that today, was absolutely creased. He is something else. would hoy my lot on him still being on something. With everyone who raced against Bolt getting caught (powell, gay, gatlin) and not being able to beat him, it reminds me of when lance armstrong was crushing it and everyone else was doping. Became apparent he had to be on it aso. hope Bolt wasn't / isn't, but it becomes harder to believe
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 06:06:57 PM »

Is kinboshi not well?
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 07:42:25 PM »

Is kinboshi not well?

Maybe he's seen the light and relinquished his heathen ways.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 11:22:33 PM »

http://sportsscientists.com/2015/05/the-gatlin-dilemma/
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 03:03:12 AM »

Do people think Linford Christie did it naturally?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 03:32:29 AM »

Do people think Linford Christie did it naturally?

Not when he got banned for gear, too.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: