blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:05:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272631 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  "Do supporters want England to be successful? Are they bothered?"
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Do supporters want England to be successful? Are they bothered?"  (Read 7337 times)
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 12:24:25 PM »

I'm hugely excited when England play a big game.
Very much as excited as when my team plays an important game, maybe even more so.
Some great nights watching the key matches of '90, '96 and '98.

Like to see U21's / England Women being successful, but not too bothered.
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 01:05:10 PM »

I love supporting England and try to watch all the games. I know we'll never win anything in my lifetime as we don't seem to have a winning mentality, no matter how good we are player-for-player. We've had some great squads, but teams who are 'worse' and play together and to a good plan always go further.

As a Cricket fan, I am delighted when my county produces England players. Even though it is to the detriment of my team, I agree that the whole setup of the club game is to feed players into the international game to beat other countries. As oppose to football where clubs do everything to keep their players away from international duty. There's just too much money in football so you see players retiring from the international game to prolong the lucrative club career, which is such a shame. How much £ does one person need ffs?

A successful country on the international game is a source of pride for the nation IMO, but with representing England added pressure does come. I think players do want to play for England and do care, or they'd just all make themselves not available for England selection/retire from internationals, surely? They get so much sh!t thrown at them on a daily basis from idiot rival fans, why would they care of a little more on top? They probably wouldn't get anywhere near as much grief as the racist/criminal/immoral ones do.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 01:11:32 PM »

World Cup 2010 was the final nail in the coffin for me. I don't think I had missed a competitive match since before Italia 90, always felt a tingle of excitement whenever I'd watch a game, loved it. Then after that shit show, I couldn't be bothered anymore. When we went out to Italy in Euro 2012 I just went 'meh' and left the pub and didn't even care, same deal with the last world cup.
J
I just don't think the players are incentivised or understand what it means to put on the England shirt. They get paid so much, being asked to work in their summer holiday seems like an inconvenience. These days I think all the young lads grow up wishing they could play for Real Madrid than wishing they could play for England.

The Olympics also opened my eyes to the joy of other sport.

Pretty much this too.

When the Euros were in England, the players really seemed to care and feel pride about represeting their country. Pearce, Gazza, Adams, Shearer and Sheringham.

Look at this:

Could you see Rooney, Sterling, Cahill and Delph showing this pride?

Ha McMamanaman looks like he couldn't give a toss, Anderton and a fair few others not exactly belting it out and Neville making a political statement by not singing.

I love to watch England play and was a bit annoyed we folded meekly in the under 21s.  Just think we expect too much these days, and think we have a good generation coming through.  I also think the current squad is fine, no team performs superbly every time they play. I know it is only qualifying, but our record stands up well against most currently.  Variance will obviously do us in the finals.  

Seems odd to talk about young kids going off the rails these days, and then seeing Gazza as an example of better days.  I have never read his book, but assume Adams was boozing a lot in his playing days?  

As a Bradford City supporter, I guess I have lower expectations than most.   I know we are supposed to hate other teams, but life seems too short. Dirty Leeds tho.

Never really liked the England Rugby Union team though. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 01:24:52 PM »

World Cup 2010 was the final nail in the coffin for me. I don't think I had missed a competitive match since before Italia 90, always felt a tingle of excitement whenever I'd watch a game, loved it. Then after that shit show, I couldn't be bothered anymore. When we went out to Italy in Euro 2012 I just went 'meh' and left the pub and didn't even care, same deal with the last world cup.
J
I just don't think the players are incentivised or understand what it means to put on the England shirt. They get paid so much, being asked to work in their summer holiday seems like an inconvenience. These days I think all the young lads grow up wishing they could play for Real Madrid than wishing they could play for England.

The Olympics also opened my eyes to the joy of other sport.

Pretty much this too.

When the Euros were in England, the players really seemed to care and feel pride about represeting their country. Pearce, Gazza, Adams, Shearer and Sheringham.

Look at this:

Could you see Rooney, Sterling, Cahill and Delph showing this pride?

Ha McMamanaman looks like he couldn't give a toss, Anderton and a fair few others not exactly belting it out and Neville making a political statement by not singing.

I love to watch England play and was a bit annoyed we folded meekly in the under 21s.  Just think we expect too much these days, and think we have a good generation coming through.  I also think the current squad is fine, no team performs superbly every time they play. I know it is only qualifying, but our record stands up well against most currently.  Variance will obviously do us in the finals.  

Seems odd to talk about young kids going off the rails these days, and then seeing Gazza as an example of better days.  I have never read his book, but assume Adams was boozing a lot in his playing days?  

As a Bradford City supporter, I guess I have lower expectations than most.   I know we are supposed to hate other teams, but life seems too short. Dirty Leeds tho.

Never really liked the England Rugby Union team though. 

Pretty good post.

Maybe it's just variance we have't wn anything since 1966.

I mean really, 3 penalty shoot outs (which are pretty much the definition of random) go England's way instead of the oppostions and we might well have and extra WC trophy and a couple of Euro trophies in the FA's museum.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 01:27:53 PM »

And maybe it's just variance we haven't had a decent team since 1996.

In 96 everything clicked and we had 3 or 4 world class players in the team and in form at the same time.

While we've had good players since then, can anyone compare them favourably to Gazza, Shearer, Adams and Seaman?

Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 02:15:02 PM »

It's very confusing.

England does mean a lot to me
But not as much as Liverpool
I'm english and follow football with a passion
I have no connections with Liverpool at all, yet I care more about them than i do for England.  Given the choice club vs country argument etc, club 100% of the time.  But then, that makes sense, as so much more emotion has been committed to this club, day in day out.  England doesn't matter, isn't the focus of the week, and only begins to matter when a game approaches

Yet when Liverpool win it is just me celebrating amongst friends and family.  The banter is great etc, but when it is England, all friends and family are together, which makes a great atmosphere and when England win, its so much better to celebrate with friends and the like, yet it doesn't matter as much.

When I watch England I want Liverpool players to do the best, not get injured etc.  I clearly remember Italy '90, praying Beardsley wouldn't miss, as I didn't want the flack....not cause England would miss a huge penalty, but because he played for Liverpool.

I'd argued with my brother (on our radio show 7pm Fridays- see " It could kick off" thread for details! ) that England fans should watch all the games, as a supporter and not pick and choice the big games/tournaments, as we all hate THOSE fans at club level. but he argues that it isn't the same, it doesn't matter until the game, and he doesn't care about England.  Come a Euro 16, we'll all be in the same room hopefully going mental.  so why doesn't it matter vs Ireland or he didn't even bother to watch the U21s.  " boring, don't care"

It is hard to argue.

When England do well in a tournament, we defo over-hype it, but no harm as it gets the country going, a massive feel-good factor is all over the place.  Everyone to a man women and child is buzzing during a successful tournament.

The U21s is different still as it is a breeding ground for young talent to play international football preparing for the bigger step - so I understand the concept of playing the younger talent only and not those that have broken in. 

But rock and a hard place really - do we promote the Sterlings, Kane's etc of this world too quickly and they should spend 1-2 seasons in the U21s and 1 tournament before being upgraded?  That makes sense to me.
But then where do Pritchards, Loftus-Cheek Ings, etc play their International Football?

the U21 windows is small, only a couple of years so surely you have to strike hot when you have a crop of decent young players, and make the most of them at their level.

FA level -coaching Level - we seem to have a tactically, mental block on how to play tournament football - and that needs addressing at all levels before we even begin to see a repeat of '90, '96 and even '66.

Gerrard had an interview last night on BT sport, whereby he said the European players packed their bags a week before gagging to get to represent their country, where the England players doesn't bond in that same way - which also needs addressing.

Is the Under21s a breeding ground or to be used to win tournaments, if so, then " block" Sterling, Kane, etc etc playing for the national team.....but then......

Carpe Diem
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 02:38:50 PM »

I know Beckham was crocked, but Sven's 2002/2004 teams were pretty good.  Gerrard, Owen, Beckham, Rio, Lampard all in their prime years.
dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 02:48:27 PM »

And maybe it's just variance we haven't had a decent team since 1996.

In 96 everything clicked and we had 3 or 4 world class players in the team and in form at the same time.

While we've had good players since then, can anyone compare them favourably to Gazza, Shearer, Adams and Seaman?

We had a decent team in 2002 and 2004 IMO. Played badly against eventual winners Brazil in the 2002 QF of course (and that freak goal) but it was a side that had Seamen/Ferdinand/Campbell/A.Cole/Butt/Scholes/Beckham/Owen in or around their prime. Also Trevor Sinclair of course Smiley Just comparing the back five of Seamen/G.Neville/Campbell/Ferdinand/A.Cole to what we have now makes me shudder.

In 2004 if you look at the line-up who lost to Portugal it was: James/Neville/Cole/Terry/Campbell/Gerrard/Lampard/Beckham/Scholes/Rooney/Owen - you can debate the merits of those individuals as a team but as individuals they were - with the possible exception of James - world class/top tier players for most of their career and as good as what we had in '96. Owen obviously went downhill after 2006 with injuries of course.

Variance that we haven't reached at least a semi-final. Probably.
Variance that we haven't had a decent team. Disagree.

Edit: DungBeetle beat me to it.
dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 02:52:21 PM »

England exited the U21 Euros last night

they were abject. naive defending, half arsed midfield and tactically about as advanced as some U12s teams i saw last year

Don't worry though, gareth southgate was described las tyear by sir trevor brooking as "the future"

they also left sterling, barkley, wilshere, oxlade-c and shaw...all eligible...at home for this tournament

anyway...the article..

"Do supporters want England to be successful? Are they bothered?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33265323

are you bothered if the national team, or even the u21s do well?

is it of any importance to you at all compared to your club loyalties?

I'm 100% certain that Southgate stated he never considered those players because he wanted to stay loyal to those players who had helped England reach the finals. A laudable stance, but you can't help but think Barkely, Shaw and The Ox who are only really fringe players - if that - in the Senior squad would've benefited from going to a major tournament.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 03:41:50 PM »

I know Beckham was crocked, but Sven's 2002/2004 teams were pretty good.  Gerrard, Owen, Beckham, Rio, Lampard all in their prime years.

I'd struggle to put any of those players in a Worlds Best XI except maybe Rio.

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 04:03:04 PM »

Fair comment - but neither would Adams or Gazza (96 edition) made a world XI either.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 07:43:34 PM »

Fair comment - but neither would Adams or Gazza (96 edition) made a world XI either.

'Were they the best' is too high variance. (beckham eg defo was for me, but you could argue lots of ways)

Would they make the 'squad of the tournament' is better.

And they all would have. Pretty easily I'd imagine. Think of it this way, would an Earth Manager preparing his 23-man squad for the galaxy Cup be making a mistake not picking them. I think the answer is resoundingly yes.
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 07:00:23 PM »

I don't particularly care about England but, what amuses me is that every generation that comes through they are never bedded in properly and the nation always ecpects come big game time.

I think we only need to look at Spain/Germany/Brazil/Argentina (to a certain extent) they bring players through in bulk and use the under 21/23 teams to bed them in and it seems to work.   

After the players you need to look at the management/coaching structure.  I mean Gareth Southgate?  Seriously, I don't think he ever showed anything to suggest he was a top thinker/coach. 
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2015, 03:22:03 AM »

I don't particularly care about England

The very definition of ldo
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2015, 07:41:47 AM »

I care about all England national teams but with less enthusiasm than I used to, but I care less about football in general now. My club will always come first and will always be one and true love when it comes to football.

It is weird because in cricket a sport that is now probably my sport of choice the England team is what truly matters to me. Maybe it is where I grew up (Norfolk) that I don't have a true cricketing identity county wise, but I am Nottinghamshire member and regularly attend games at Trent bridge.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: