blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:00:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  lil dave's lil life
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: lil dave's lil life  (Read 219448 times)
Derbylad

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2015, 06:19:24 PM »

Anyone got a link to the original Farha piece?
Outstanding blog so far Dave, thanks for sharing.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2015, 07:01:52 PM »

New diary = Tal Quick-fire Questions

5. Shakespeare, Jonson or Marlowe?

Interesting Q. Many believe that it was Christpher Marlowe who was responsible for a large amount of shakespeare works, as iv absolutely no doubt you already knew, had he lived long enough alongside WS there is every chance his works could have eclipsed the latter imo, or perhaps not, whoever wrote the WS work it's undoubtedly pure genius, although I firmly believe Shakespeare is not to be read, it is to be watched. How you expect a teenager to engage with written shakespeare is beyond me, if you've ever heard of a theatre company called "odd-socks" they are simply wonderful and it is that way that people should be introduced to his works. The hear the way the language is used really is a joy.

I think Johnson's contribution to English language as a whole probably exceeds both CM and WS, but in a far less exciting way.

I'll say Shakespeare, and give him the benefit of the doubt for not stealing CM work and killing him in a bar fight.

I assume the last part is a reference to Ben Jonson's famous trouble with the law and bravo for slipping that in!

As to Marlowe writing Shakespeare's plays, it's a fun conspiracy theory but you'll believe the moon landing was filmed in Hollywood and Elvis is alive and well next. The styles are substantially different and where Marlowe uses classical references in precise ways to add to the grandeur of his plays, Shakespeare's are much more sporadic, even clumsier. Certainly less subtle and refined. It's what you would expect of someone with a grammar school education,  rather than someone who had been brought up on a diet of Cicero, Homer and Virgil.

Marlowe must have been livid that his own plays, with their meticulous  brilliance and Greek style were celebrated but the plays he pretended were written by a less schooled son of a gent were lauded. He told no one, kept it going, received no recorded dowry from his stooge and even managed to write plays relating to Shakespeare's life (like his turn to tragedies after the death of his son), while his own masterpieces got only some of the same recognition. It would be like Graham Coxon from Blur turning out to be the guy Slash mimes to.

Shakespeare was the ultimate all-rounder. Jonson was the most gifted satirist and comic, perhaps ever to grace the English tongue (I agree on his influence in comedy for sure). Marlowe the master of classical, graceful, form and function.

As for performance, I absolutely agree. There's nothing worse than not understanding a word of what's going on, though. I took two people to AMND once and they stayed in the bar in the second half, as they had no idea what all these people were on about. Something to do with fairies and everyone falling in love. To be honest, it's one of my least favourite Shakespeare plays, too! Give me King Lear anytime.

As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods.
They kill us for their sport.

http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quotes/flies-wanton-boys-we-gods

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2015, 07:24:06 PM »

I seem to recall you referencing having played against Latif the Teesside legend who has been known to play blind, especially when he has a big starting hand.

Chortle :-)

sola virtus nobilitat
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2015, 10:11:07 PM »

Can someone remove Tal from the thread please.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2015, 10:45:50 PM »

If it wasn't for me, this thread would be just a series of stories of good times he had. Basically just a giant aftertiming thread. Have to add some balance with a spot of culture, given he opened the door with his Lord Lucian Grassy Knoll Shergar Titanic drivel Wink

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2015, 11:45:53 PM »

If it wasn't for me, this thread would be just a series of stories of good times he had. Basically just a giant aftertiming thread. Have to add some balance with a spot of culture, given he opened the door with his Lord Lucian Grassy Knoll Shergar Titanic drivel Wink

I aspired to be lil Dave when I was a bit younger the more he talks about Shakespeare the more I regret my aspirations!

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2015, 12:43:31 AM »

when you take a less than linear path through life you're process of development is different, it's no faster or slower than anyone elses, just different. You develop very fast in certain area's and remain under-developed in other parts of your personality.

Very very true. Then all of a sudden you look back to what seems like something two years ago, find out it was ten, and can't believe you thought so differently about things.
Young_gun

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2015, 12:47:41 AM »

In for the read 

I have played with you once before although not sure if you would remember it, DTD you was opening up table and it must of been a sky weekend and i was like dont play with lil dave because i know he plays high stakes omaha. so with half an hour before my tourney was open so i decided to donate, didnt play too bad but was quite drunk and ended up missing a few levels of the tourney(only small).  Was great fun sharing a table and a i remember Cambridge Al come sit down too, you got me to fold 2 pair when you had one pair Sad

How often do you come back?

Twitter: @johnnybev1987
#skypokerteamhitsquad
#lovethegame
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2015, 09:38:25 AM »

Superb intrusion into the degenerate tone of the place Tal.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2015, 09:58:18 AM »

Biggest ever sports bet which won and lost.  Don't have to disclose figures but the events you bet on.

Nice, ok - the only place to start here is with my greatest ever sportsbetting moment, as bagel has correctly identified it was on Ronnie O'Sullivan to win the '13 snooker WC. I'll tell (breifly) how it came about...

Ronnie was about ~11.5 or something on BF which Id noticed and  thought was long, I'd asked some shrewd people I know and they said the price was based on the fact that Ronnie (not played a competitive game of snooker since the previous WC) was strongly fancied not to play, fair enough.

Next thing I run into a friend who is a very good pals with John Virgo and had just been to the races with him, he said he'd asked JV about Ronnie and his reply was Ronnie was back practicing, playing amazing (he himself had just played a practice session with him) and straight from the horses mouth, he was going to play the WC. I like a punt on the snooker as it is, so this was all i needed to get the balls well and truly in.

I kicked off by taking the betfair price down from 11.5 to 8 then I decided fuck it after a lil bf win and took it down to 6 this is all in jan/feb where still not much money i the market. Then i had a look online and noticed hes 5's everywhere and 13/2 on paddys, so I maxed 3 account on PP (never very much) then still not quite happy I went to 3 paddy power shops and got money on there, then went for my final betfair assault and took everything above 5. After all this I had about £4500~ on and after laying a bit off on BF before and during the Trump semi (I know, I know grow some balls) I ended up winning about £30k. Better still I actually went with trigg (who also weighed in on Ronnie) to watch the last two sessions (a long term ambition of mine) so really the day couldn't have been much better!!!

The worst sports bet ever was the 2013 Open Golf, I got persuaded by my friend who needed some quick business and couldnt get on BF to lay a big chunk on mickleson and he came from no-where to ship it and cost me nrly £16k.

Another cool sports betting story where I ended up making a huge bet kind of by accident was on the WC of darts in ('12 or '13 I cant remember, '12 i think) It was ENG vs (I'm pretty sure it was these guys) BELGIUM/the huybrechts, I was playing a private game and the darts was on and I decided for a bit of interest I was going to back Phil Taylor in every game, and lay adrian lewis in every game (this was when he just didn't give a fuck and could barely hit the board) I forget what i did in the doubles match but that doesn't matter. My strategy was working perfect,I was betting £500 a match which was the top end of my recreational gambling limit back then, I've won on every game and im playing a private game at the time and crushing in that too so for the last match i decide to press on home and bet £1,000 laying Adrian Lewis at somewhere around even money, then the price comes in to ~1.9 so i think lets go another monkey...

Next thing I see is the price comes in to 1.8, so I go in for another £250, now it comes into 1.75 so im thinking jeses these BF guys know something I don't, maybe Ronnie broke his arm or something...I watched the TV for a few mins and nothing mentioned about anything drastic so I went in for another £500. Im happy to leave it at that then I notice the price comes in again, hugely to something like 1.6~ I turn to Julian Gardner who I would follow into a fire with any gambling advice and said Jules whats happening here why does the price keep coming in!? Which side you take at these prices? He said "well it's gotta be a lay, must be all the smashed punters getting patriotic on AL"

After this I just decided, ok fuck it lets go and got my whole BF balance (just over £9k) in play laying Adrian Lewis! He lost comfortably and I won Cheesy

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2015, 09:59:10 AM »

Have to say I got pretty excited reading about that day of poker in Vegas even though I think I remembered how it ended!

Can you share some fun/memorable experiences of playing with the legend that is Laurence Gosney?

Ha, yes it was an exciting day, its funny how I remember the feelings of that day like it was 15 minutes ago, but cant remember details to save my life... Kinda like one of those out of body experiences where you live and breathe entirely on instincts!

Yes, yes oh yes I can share Lawrence Gosney stories and will be very glad to do so...However I've still not been to bed, and if im posting Lawrence stories then I simply must do them justice. I've known him since I first started playing poker in Leeds and he remains one of my favorite people till this day, a complete hero of mine.

So just hold that thought!!

Can't wait for this, played with him a good few times in my younger days & he always amazed me.  He was always talking, seemed to be barely paying attention & must have called my exact hand on no less than 5 occasions.

In the market for a nice Ford Focus, you got anything for me?

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2015, 10:10:39 AM »

I seem to recall you referencing having played against Latif the Teesside legend who has been known to play blind, especially when he has a big starting hand.

Any tales to tell? Did you ever play when he was dealing?

Yeah I played a bit with Latif, he tried VERY hard to hustle me the slippery old fox but I got him Smiley

I came into Gala leeds one night hammmmmmmered and played in the PLO game, I was all over the place doing all sorts of silly things and then the next day I get a call from Latif (I have no idea giving him my number lol) apparently last night we'd arranged to play heads up?! It's not really my style to go round offering people HU games so I rang Gosney who was in the game and asked him how on earth I've ended up arranging a heads up match with Latif!!

He said that basically Latif asked me several times if I "play in the day" because obviously he "gets tired at nights" and if I do "play in the day" we could play vs each other... I obviously accept because 1) I'm free in the day and 2) I'm hammered. I get over the next 4 days at least 10 phonecalls from Latif trying to set it up, finally we go down, 3pm on some weekday and I have to sit in the restaurant and wait for 90 minutes whilst he finishes his Kalooki match.

We start to play, £2/£5 heads up Omaha with £2500 stacks, within 3 hands he starts to complain about the rake - £1 p  hand and that we should just grab a deck of cards and play ourselves on a table over there... NO THANK YOU LATIF Smiley So I say nps I'll pay all the rake, every hand I throw the dealer £1 win or lose, ok off we go...3 hands later more complaints about the rake, it's just "the principle" not the money and he doesn't want to give the caasino money. About 30 mins later I'm up about £200 and he wants to change the game...over the course of the next 45mins we play super-stud, 5 card stud (I have played 1ce before in my life), padooki, and finally NLHE. Iv gotten so tilted at the whole thing I've taken to just making it £50 pre-flop blind every hand at NLHE and on our last hand Latif folds QJs to my blind open and claims he doesn't want to win money off me because he likes me and stops playing Smiley

As it happens, I actually really like Latif, he's noisy as fuck and a slippery devil but relatively good company and I do genuinely really quite like it when he's on my table now, characters like him don't seem to come about i gambling any more and I for one feel kind of sad about that ...

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2015, 10:15:40 AM »

In for the read 

I have played with you once before although not sure if you would remember it, DTD you was opening up table and it must of been a sky weekend and i was like dont play with lil dave because i know he plays high stakes omaha. so with half an hour before my tourney was open so i decided to donate, didnt play too bad but was quite drunk and ended up missing a few levels of the tourney(only small).  Was great fun sharing a table and a i remember Cambridge Al come sit down too, you got me to fold 2 pair when you had one pair Sad

ha yes ofc I remember (young_gun eh?) that was fun, and you didn't play badly at all, you probably shouldn't have folded that 2p (even though it wasn't a bad fold) but I remember it was your last hand and the whole experience had been relatively tame so far so I figured i'd just try and cause a lil pain before you left Cheesy we're allowed to have a little fun at the end of the day right !

I really enjoy games like that where the main principle of the game is for every to have fun.

I will be coming back to the UK pretty soon, my villa here runs out on the 14th August and things are slowing down for me over here, actually really looking forward to being back in leeds, being in a real country again!!

Hopefully I'll see you in DTD sometime, assume there is some sort of nice tournament happening soon?!

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2015, 10:18:51 AM »

In for the read  

I have played with you once before although not sure if you would remember it, DTD you was opening up table and it must of been a sky weekend and i was like dont play with lil dave because i know he plays high stakes omaha. so with half an hour before my tourney was open so i decided to donate, didnt play too bad but was quite drunk and ended up missing a few levels of the tourney(only small).  Was great fun sharing a table and a i remember Cambridge Al come sit down too, you got me to fold 2 pair when you had one pair Sad

ha yes ofc I remember (young_gun eh?) that was fun, and you didn't play badly at all, you probably shouldn't have folded that 2p (even though it wasn't a bad fold) but I remember it was your last hand and the whole experience had been relatively tame so far so I figured i'd just try and cause a lil pain before you left Cheesy we're allowed to have a little fun at the end of the day right !

I really enjoy games like that where the main principle of the game is for every to have fun.

I will be coming back to the UK pretty soon, my villa here runs out on the 14th August and things are slowing down for me over here, actually really looking forward to being back in leeds, being in a real country again!!

Hopefully I'll see you in DTD sometime, assume there is some sort of nice tournament happening soon?!

I heard on the grapevine there is a 6-Max festival at DTD from 19th to 23rd August.

At the last one, Mr J Duthie sat in the PLO cash games. That man has quite an opening range.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2015, 10:28:15 AM »

OK - by popular demand...

Lawrence Gosney

You can throw bricks at densely populated area's of the UK for hours and hours before you hit a more interesting character than LG, proper old school gambling breed with the kind of dry wit you can slice melons with and a word class sense of humour...

One night me and a friend are playing BJ at gala, just having a lil £100 each spin up or something when Los comes along, absolutely smashed and sits on the end box, we play for a short while here and there and he is obviously thoroughly entertaining before this hand pops along...

everyone on the table (4 of us I think, most playing £2-£10, me and Olly have £200 on and Los has £200) I remember having 20 and los also had 20 (Q-Q) the dealer has a 7. The dealer skips past everyone, stand stand stand stand bang rolls a picture card off Dealer 17 everyone wins and he starts paying out...

"Hold on one second" says lawrence..."Did you ask me if I wanted to split my QQ?"

"No..but...I thought..." the dealer said

"Did YOU, ask ME if I wanted to split my QQ?"

Over comes the pitboss, "I never got asked if I want to split my QQ"says Lawrence, "DO you want to split Mr. Gosney?"

"Well ofc I do...(now we know the next card is a picture)"

"Ok, you can split"

"Dave, give me £200"

he gets 20 as we knew, and then 17 and true to form the dealer runs off to 21 and scoops the whole table.

Los then stands up, downs the last of his wine, turns to the whole table and says "Let that be a lesson to you" and leaves

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy 

Saw him the very next day at Naps and he says "David...I owe you £200, correct?" Yes Lawrence you do..."Ok, (gets £200 together in chips) why do I owe you £200?"

So I say to him, he nods his head and says "sounds about right" and hands me the money...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 52 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: