blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:09:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  lil dave's lil life
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: lil dave's lil life  (Read 219547 times)
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 25, 2016, 03:13:49 PM »

Gin Mare

Mahon Xogruier

Drank an awful lot of Xoriguer on holiday this year, thought it was very decent for the price.  Would be interested to try it over here, as in the past I've often gone on holiday and got stuck into the local tipple, bought a bottle home to find it is rough as a badger's backside back in Blighty.

Gin Mare undoubtedly rocketing to my fav drink atm, at the risk of tempting fate it seems to be hangover-free which is always handy.  Lots of differences of opinion on how to serve it, but through substantial trial and error, rosemary+orange peel+black pepper is the nuts.

Tried it with Rosemary and Cherry Tomatoes? I like it like that, the garnishes for the gin are kinda what makes it nowadays Smiley

Unsure about hangover free, if it is then great, nowadays 2 glasses of wine at dinner is enough to give me a headache for 48 hours!

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 27, 2016, 05:05:18 PM »

Are the tomatoes meant to go in as whole?  I tried one like that, maybe halved would have been better.  Always happy to try suggestions, but rosemary/orange peel/black pepper is going to take a lot of beating.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 27, 2016, 05:52:45 PM »

Are the tomatoes meant to go in as whole?  I tried one like that, maybe halved would have been better.  Always happy to try suggestions, but rosemary/orange peel/black pepper is going to take a lot of beating.

yeh 2x half cherry tomatos. Gives a margerita pizza aroma Smiley

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 16, 2016, 10:52:33 AM »

Had an absolutely INSANE few weeks.

First thing going down, and possibly the biggest - Laura, has been given a work opportunity in London which is obviously far away from Leeds. She's had long term passion for the fashion industry and was working towards this when she met me, since then she's quit all that to follow me on my merry adventures and then when I took the restaurant over again she took over the running of our poker site. It's all been lovely and we have done just fine financially but it's always a big concern that when someone has to make more sacrifices than the other in a relationship then an underlying level of resentment will build up, it's true to say that financially we've done the best things (we've have not made NET as much combined money any other way) but then that's like saying that money is more important than her dreams, which would be horrible. Obviously I've been able to do what i like doing in the midst of all this so whereas I might have worked really hard I've sacrificed pretty much 0 whilst she's given up lots (she actually wasn't a huge fan of me taking the restaurant on but I did it anyway.)

So this puts a bit of a dilemma on the table for us, leaving really only 3 options;

1) We move to london together - I leave a controlling position in the restaurant and just retain my shares.
2) Laura doesn't take the oppurtunity
3) She moves to london without me, we take house in Richmond keep our place in Leeds and I hop-foot it down to LND at any chance

None of these 3 stand out as particularly appealing. I feel like it would be dreadful of me to even suggest #2 after all she done, I don't want to leave my business in Leeds so i guess option 3. IDK if anyone has any advice for me? I feel like, pretty young no commitments these days are about following dreams and doing what you want to do, seems to me like it's so easy to make excuses and find reason after reason for not doing something when really should only be 1 question;

Do I want it? Yes = GO, No = DON'T GO.

Restaurant has been doing OK, emphasis hasn't really been on trade lately (sounds ridiculous) but we've reached a point now where on current advertising levels and staff costs we can consistently take enough money week on week to wipe our feet, cover a little old debt and have a few quid left over to put towards the next stage, focus lately has been all about the kitchen.

The last EHO visit we only got 4/5 stars for the most infuriating reason, we had disgusting shelving in the dry store, about 20 yrs old and basically falling to pieces/close to rotting, obv you can never have 5* when you have that and i was pretty dam furious at myself for not sorting it quicker. I've since had the dry store completely refurbished and it's slick as anything now, dedicated chemicals area, wall mounted stuff, lots of health and safety stuff laminated and on the walls, like a proper job Smiley.

I need to replace a few pieces of kitchen equipment when i can organise the finance and we have our new menu launching this coming week. NEw menu has taken a month of pretty much solid work to get organised and had plenty of training sessions with the kitchen guys, absolutely brain-warping what problems crop up you'd have no idea... MY new kitchen manager also started and so far his enthusiasm for the job has been refreshing, once again i'm putting my faith into someone younger, around 26~ but has run a kirchen taking similar money before and his organisation and eye for detail are, so i'm told, particularly good which is exactly what i'm looking for, so it would appear that i'm on the right track!!

We had an Elvis night last week which was awesome;

Click to see full-size image.

The man had the most fascinating hips you've ever seen!!!

There's been a real shift in customer profile over the past 2 months which has been really pleasing, although it has lead to a reduction in the actual amount of customers we're getting in the restaurant...spend per head now exceeding £14.00 which officially makes it double what it was when i took over, and the prices are about to go up a little too. Starting to build some real momentum on social media and planning some more advertising campaigns too with local advertisers so we'll see how we get on!

Currently in Tenerife on a quick week away, hotel i've ended up at is kinda horrible, its absolutely awful by the pool - yesterday something happened which i thought was just insane IDK what everything thinks but i was fuming...

You have to hire parasols at the pool (fine) but we didnt know this at first, so we sat next to a parasol and put it up, a scottish lady was sunbathing next to us and wasnt touched by the shade she woke up, told us that you have to hire the umbrellas and she had hired this one, then she took it back and came back to sunbathe, so she went through all the effort of taking it back just so we couldn't use it... Long happy life filled with people who love her ahead for that lady i'm sure, me 100 times from 100 i'd say "btw you have to hire parasols but you can use this one but ight have to move it towards me if i want some shade in a bit" and i'd like to hope virtually everyone I like in the world would do the same.

I feel like the worlds biggest snob but usually stay in better hotels and don't seem to get antics like this i've seen round the pool, it cost £125 for the week (through my mum's RCI) and I think you just have to accept what you pay for is what you get, beds are so uncomfortable too hard to actually sleep, going to move hotels tomorrow somewhere really nice.

Did have a pretty hilarious moment last night though, we were playing bingo (not something you would have expected in this blog 4 years unless there was somehow some insane sidebets on it) was actually waiting for the magic show (a real banging saturday night!!) the winner of the bingo was a ~8/10 yr old girl, who went on stage to collect her prize, a massage at the spa, just as she leaves the stage the bingo host (a huge black guy) gives her these words of wisdom...

"Remember - NO MEANS NO"

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 16, 2016, 12:22:51 PM »

I met Mrs Mantis on a lads holiday in 1992, God those were the days! After tooing and froing between London and Birmingham for a year, which was OK I guess, she moved up and we made a life together in Birmingham. Then we moved to Hong Kong and made a life together there. A couple of other cities and 20 years later we moved down to Surrey and made a life together  here. Each chapter was as cool as the last and we've been blissfully happy every step of the way...just different scenery.

Don't ever forget that you and ur Mrs are life partners together. You take on the challenges together you make sacrifices for each other but the one overriding element is that ur together. Wherever you end up you can always make it together! Life is about chapters mate and the only question that matters is do you love her? If you do the restaurant is small potatoes insignificant. Close that chapter and move onto the next together. It feels important because ur putting ur heart into it...but u will put ur heart into the next venture just as well. One thing's for certain the emotion you put into business should pale against the emotion you put into the woman you love. There isn't a job or business out there which would temp me to live apart from my partner in crime'! You are a smart kid and will make it anywhere so would fuck the restaurant off in a blink of an eye!

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 16, 2016, 01:01:37 PM »

Good post mantis.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 16, 2016, 02:06:18 PM »

If you were to go to London, would you have a job/ business you could walk right into? Or be able to run your non restraunt business's from there?

Could always have a period of a few months, where you move between London/ Leeds, e.g. Not rush into anything, given it's a big decision. All the best with it.
cheesies

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 16, 2016, 02:19:57 PM »

Good post mantis.

says the man who maybe doesn't believe in love but believes in infatuation Cheesy

Kinda agree - I do think different cities can work for some couples for a while, if they're already solid, good communicators etc. Longterm probably not a great idea as relationships require attention and work but for a year or so if you wanted to make sure the restaurant gets off to the best start it could definitely be an option. Ultimately though if you think it would have a detrimental impact on the relationship then managing a restaurant indeed seems like small (deep fried) potatoes.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 02:21:29 PM by cheesies » Logged
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: October 16, 2016, 02:39:07 PM »

I would move to London.

The older I get, the better I was.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 16, 2016, 02:44:23 PM »

Factor in you will probably need at least 50% more cash to have a similar lifestyle in the big smoke.
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 16, 2016, 02:45:18 PM »

The girl and it's not even close mate.

My wife and I were lucky enough to have a son together after several years of trying to get pregnant and then remarkably fell pregnant again not too long after. Fast forward 18 months and my wife was itching to go back to work full time and we had long since decided that we were going to be the type of family where one of us looked after the kids and not a nanny/nursery. I resigned my position as a teacher the next day without a tinge of regret knowing it was the right thing to do.

Fast forward one year and my wife had decided that she missed the boys too much and wanted to go back to how it was. I applied for teaching jobs and ended up in a much nicer school with far better prospects. I have been promoted three times in my three years there so my career is in a far healthier place and as a family we have never been happier. My wife and I have a wonderful relationship and she is incredibly supportive of me and a fantastic mother to my boys. I really do think if I had not given my wife the opportunity to resume her career and put my foot down about my job, resentment would have built over the years and our happy marriage may not have been so happy.

Jobs and careers come and go. Family is forever and should always come first.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 16, 2016, 05:24:33 PM »

Go with what you think is best

Sounds obvious but you know the situation better than anyone
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 16, 2016, 07:29:13 PM »

Surely we need a selection of pics in order to make optimal decisions?

I think you already know what to do.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 16, 2016, 07:59:44 PM »

such brilliantly well thought out and well meaning posts i do very much appreciate the time everyone has taken to relate personal experience to my situation it's defo made me see things quite differently to before.

So, London, the streets really paved with gold?

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 16, 2016, 08:10:46 PM »

I feel like a resurrection of the poker career could be on the horizon.

Some good games in London.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 ... 52 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: