blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:08:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  lil dave's lil life
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: lil dave's lil life  (Read 218325 times)
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: February 15, 2019, 03:12:09 PM »

I love that line - 'should I put you down for a 7?'

god bless her optimism, id done the last 4 holes in about 40 shots and was playing 3 from knee deep in a swamp

peejaytwo

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 15, 2019, 04:14:31 PM »

I’m gonna take the contrarian view here and say that nowadays you get bugger all for steering it 240 yards down the fairway. Giving it a trip 270 or so makes life much easier, second shots 6/7 irons instead of 3/4 irons. Of course your going to sacrifice accuracy but don’t settle for nobbing it Bing Crosby style, rescue clubs are diff class out of the rough.

And btw, the gambling days must be gone when a guy who plays 200/400 PLO wants to play safe with two wedges for 140yards instead of backing himself to put it on the green for a regulation par, and ofc the chance of a birdie. 😎
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 15, 2019, 07:03:05 PM »

I’m gonna take the contrarian view here and say that nowadays you get bugger all for steering it 240 yards down the fairway. Giving it a trip 270 or so makes life much easier, second shots 6/7 irons instead of 3/4 irons. Of course your going to sacrifice accuracy but don’t settle for nobbing it Bing Crosby style, rescue clubs are diff class out of the rough.

And btw, the gambling days must be gone when a guy who plays 200/400 PLO wants to play safe with two wedges for 140yards instead of backing himself to put it on the green for a regulation par, and ofc the chance of a birdie. 😎

Someone playing off 9 once explained it very simply to me.
Miss every green but get up and down on half of them.

Short game is so much more important than ripping it an extra 30yds.
If you can keep it to 3 shots or less  from 60yds you’ll do ok.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
peejaytwo

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 15, 2019, 08:11:48 PM »

I agree that a good short game is great, but atm Dave is in the first stages and I’d start by trying to tonk it as far as possible and then iron out any flaws. Think this is a better approach than dobbing it straight and then trying to add length years down the line.

I can assure you and your nine handicap pal than having a seven iron in your hand for the second shot is much better than a four iron or one of these hibrid woods. You miss far less greens and have far more birdie putts.
As Trevino said dogs that chase cars and golfers that putt for pars don’t last long.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 15, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »

I agree that a good short game is great, but atm Dave is in the first stages and I’d start by trying to tonk it as far as possible and then iron out any flaws. Think this is a better approach than dobbing it straight and then trying to add length years down the line.

I can assure you and your nine handicap pal than having a seven iron in your hand for the second shot is much better than a four iron or one of these hibrid woods. You miss far less greens and have far more birdie putts.
As Trevino said dogs that chase cars and golfers that putt for pars don’t last long.

I agree with trying to hit it as far as you can in the beginning being the correct line - that's what they teach the kids to do and it means having fun!

It will take years to hone your technique and it's best to develop some power first imo.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 16, 2019, 02:03:00 PM »

I'm trying to hit it as far as possible it's just not going very far!

Coach says I have a pretty slow swing, (slower than average) whereas it's for sure true most of the power/distance comes from technique he said I could certainly add a decent chunk of power to the swing just by swinging it a little harder, the standard way he'd teach a newcomer would be to have them swing a little harder from the get-go and add the technique in but for whatever reason I'm doing it this way and it shouldn't be too much trouble to build in some more club head speed once my technique is better. Everyone learning apparently has something they do sub-par "to be addressed later" and this is my thing!

I was a shade over 30mph slower than he was (clubhead speed) with a decently hit 7 iron.

I'll be blazing it soon enough Smiley

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #726 on: February 16, 2019, 03:54:06 PM »

it's alot easier to just elongate your swing or twat it a bit more than it is to twat it correctly.  so you should be fine.

I cannot believe how reserved I have been to not make a joke about how you grip it   
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 16, 2019, 07:16:38 PM »

grip is fine, thank you titty.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 26, 2019, 02:17:32 PM »

played the other day, stood on the Tee I ask my mate how far that water is, he says it's about 260 yards but uphill. No problem for me to still hit a driver there, my sunday best drives landing about 220 right now so even if I absolutely blaze it cant see it reaching the water.

Pinged it right into the middle of the water didn't I 

Every so often I really get my body through these drives and can actually hit it decently far, usually body moves too slow and it ends up right. So hard this stuff.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 26, 2019, 11:33:32 PM »

played the other day, stood on the Tee I ask my mate how far that water is, he says it's about 260 yards but uphill. No problem for me to still hit a driver there, my sunday best drives landing about 220 right now so even if I absolutely blaze it cant see it reaching the water.

Pinged it right into the middle of the water didn't I 

Every so often I really get my body through these drives and can actually hit it decently far, usually body moves too slow and it ends up right. So hard this stuff.

You either pitched on a sprinkler-head or I'm very jealous.

Keep up the good work.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 27, 2019, 11:00:43 AM »

cant imagine many people been loving driving into the water as much as that in the history of golf!

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #731 on: March 27, 2019, 11:06:02 AM »

it's heartwarming that no one is considering that the distance to the water could have been misjudged  
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 27, 2019, 11:09:40 AM »

it's heartwarming that no one is considering that the distance to the water could have been misjudged  

looked a lot further than 260 to me but my friend is a pretty accurate guy and we'll take him at his word Smiley

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #733 on: March 27, 2019, 11:56:19 AM »

looked a lot further than 260 to me but my friend is a pretty accurate guy and we'll take him at his word Smiley

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 29, 2019, 12:46:18 AM »

So decided to bomb out to Rio for the PP millions thingymajiggy, haven't played a lot of poker, or poker tournaments in the past years but fancied this one, and had a business contact who lives in Rio I was anxious to meet in person so felt great about the trip, Rio been somewhere I always fancied going.

Had an absolutely amazing time, really really good. Didn't do too much poker, had a few bullets in the $1k "Rio Open" finished 7 or 8 off the money, on reflection my bust out hand was probably a little bit out of line but heh man's gotta follow his instincts in the poker tournaments Smiley played the $10k and busted very quickly into day 2, I did a Hellmuth and tried to induce someone to lose their head against me, which I think they did (I'm not really to know lol) and get sent to the beach Cheesy I actually enjoyed playing, Brazil poker player seem to have rep for just being terrible but I didn't think they were terrible at all, just a little prone to wrecklessness perhaps but they certainly don't make it easy on you!!! I liked the overall pace of play too, fast game, competitive game, friendly game - just how it should be.

One thing I will say though, which I think is utterly unbearable, is the stare-downs, i mean just absolutely WHAT THE FUCK are those about, didn't see any of it in the $1k (not sure if it's a stakes thing?) but then in the $10k I found a few people doing this ridiculous stare-down stuff every hand, I've seen it a bit on TV didn't realise loads of people did it, I had one guy (one of Pad's horses) giving me this creepy stare-down every hand, I actually felt quite embarrassed for him, what on earth is he hoping to see, my throat starts gulping when I have a good hand? I played a LOT of live poker games over the years, I'm not about to start cracking under some kid starring me down, but if I was a less experienced player I might find it very intimidating and surely that's just terrible for the game. Seems to me the chances of these guys actually knowing a) what they are looking for, or b) being able to interpret it in any productive way whatsoever should they find it is incredibley slim and it's basically just wasting everyone's time and possibly irratating very casual players. Who want to come play poker and get starred down, if you get starred at for 2 minutes then called and lose you'll probably feel like a real mug and truth is it's just pot luck that the guy has picked right.

"live tells" are not people's eyes twitching or leg shaking, I think a few poker "pros" need to grow up a bit. Assume it's not a strategy Pads is inviting his players to use!

Anyway I didn't really care people can stare all they like at me, I thought the tournament was good fun and would play again, didn't cash but felt like I played competitively, sometimes feel really out of my depth in tournaments and couldn't have imagined playing 1 every yr or so will have helped much, guess the fact that busting was just going to = going to the beach or pool and drink cocktails helped.

There was however a final table performance from the camp, and that came from Laura (!) my fiance, who having never played poker before this week, to the point where she didn't know what the big blind was etc, watched some youtube videos, played a few micro stakes tourneys on party to practice and entered the Ladies event at Rio ($200 buyin) and amazingly came 6th (out of 22) with 4 getting paid, she got unlucky too, losing with KK vs 55 to bust Sad was actually really proud and even turned down drinking to stay and rail!!!

Click to see full-size image.

(with the cap!)

She wasn't really too sure what to do post-flop (folded a few times when she could have checked etc) but played really disciplined/patient game preflop and just goes to show solid patient poker will always give you a chance! Well done Laura - 6th best Lady player in Rio!!!

Had tons of fun messing about, drinking, went to the Redeemer Jesus (very big) Trigg took us to the races where he had incredibly (INCREDIBLE) managed to get us some hot info on the Rio racetrack - the Rio Tote takes a healthy 40% juice but max bet is £50, so I persuaded (took a lot of persuading...) a friend of mine to cross-book us on the tickets and naturally fighting a 40% tote we did our bollocks, (took some carefully selected peruvian football to repair the damage  ) the race-track itself was delightful though one of the most pleasant tracks I've ever been too. It had a bar right on the finish line, water features, even a kids club so you can take the kids and go punting!! Shame it was basically empty, guess the 40% juice and gambley nature of Brazilians has killed off the horse punters Sad   Outside of a bit of work and a bit of poker I just chilled out with Laura and had a great time catching up with the DTD/PP guys and the lineup of characters (middy, ludo, firaldo, flushy, etc) was pretty stellar. Had an extremely positive experience of party poker live.

South American jolly's aside (which was much needed after 6 weeks in thailand!) the year has been going very pleasantly so far, business in good shape, just about to move to a new house in Swiss Cottage (solid upgrade form Bermondsey) we are actually starting to plan some sort of wedding (heading to south of france in a couple of weeks to check out some venues) got a couple of weddings over the summer (Sweden and Barcelona) got a couple of stag do's over the summer (Vegas!) already got half an eye on ext years winter escape, enjoying the golf - summer coming so i'm thinking there'll be no shortage of people to play hoping to maybe get out for a game and a lesson every week!  Golf already turning into a massive dust, ad for some reason it makes me want to be insanely spewy, if someone told me there was a iten you could buy for £x that will add 5% to my golf ability I'd probably scare myself at how high that X could go until I dont snap it off Cheesy

Move House/Golf/Master/Game of Thrones/Plan Wedding/Work

Nice quiet April ahead.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:54:32 AM by SuuPRlim » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: