blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:52:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  lil dave's lil life
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: lil dave's lil life  (Read 218334 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #750 on: March 30, 2022, 12:20:52 PM »

Hey Dave, great to hear from you.

Believe it or not I've been toying with the idea of taking up golf for a while now and you know what stops me? I know I would become totally addicted.

Tight lines, straight balls or what ever it is you wish for.

Don't be a stranger.

The older I get, the better I was.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 30, 2022, 12:37:49 PM »

Well if you do take up golf (you should) its going one of two ways, and it can only go one of these two ways.

1. You will take it up, have a few lessons, play once or twice, find it quite tough, sort of enjoy it but it won't grab you and you'll maybe stay interested and play here and there or you'll just drift out and not play any more

or

2. You'll become totally obsessed, any time at all there is any sunshine you'll either be out there playing or berating yourself that you're not out playing, you'll develop the expensive habit of wanting to upgrade your clubs every month and you'll become extremely boring to other members of any social situation when you meet someone else as into golf as you are Smiley

Join us, we will love you, don't be scared Smiley

How are you doing? Glad to see you still running the streets round here!

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 30, 2022, 08:34:36 PM »

Very similar story only I joined a neighbouring club that has a recipricating agreement with Finchley.  I went from kicking it around twice a year pre covid to 14 hcap nowadays, playing every week but not overdoing it.  If you are struggling for a game midweek shoot me a message and we can do a home&away?

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 31, 2022, 07:44:59 AM »

Ahoy there Blonde!

I just randomly found myself trawling around on here after a couple of years, just remembered how much I loved this place, was so much fun, met so many fabulous people. I was chatting to the notorious A.R.Bboy the other day reminiscing about some old vegas nights where I met up with some blondes, I've been lucky enough to have more fun vegas memories than I deserve but the night I met Simon Galloway and James Atkin (both for the first time) randomly in Venetian goes down as a solid podium finish, I don't know if young people coming into gambling/poker these days have access to the same sort of community spirit that was abundant back then but very sad if not (assume not Sad )

Could be of no interest but I'll give you a little update on my golf progression, as it's my favourite topic to talk about...

Mid 2020, I'd had my hand operation again, which took me out of action till basically the start of corona virus, and by the time the clubs re-opened it had been a good 11 months since I'd last been able to play... bad for anyone but terminal for a man at my level with my athletic acumen, so it was basically start over. In the past 18 months I've GRINDED my official hcap down from <number not recognised> to 26.8, sounds like a very minimal progression (which lets be honest, it is Cheesy ) but I'm pretty happy with the way things are going. I was super determined to break 100 last year, I joined Finchley and was playing there 1x a week on average in the summer months, I went 13 consecutive rounds of 100-106, but getting the full 18 holes in without a big blowup is just too hard, the range of blowups has been quite varied too, I shot 44 (+8) on the front (which is about 2 shots harder than the back) with 2 birdies(!) then after par4 on 10 I proceeded to do 11(330yd dead straight par4) in 8, 12 (150yd par3) in 7 and stumbled my way into 101. I also got to the 108 (yes, 108) yard par3 15 in 73 shots (16&18 quite tough p4s, 17 simple enough par5) and went on to take a 9 there, usually my temperament is excellent (in golf and life) but fuck me was I totally and absolutely RAGING on the walk to that 16th tee    closest I came was a 25ft putt for 99 which I DID not leave short (shot 101) but I repeat, I did not leave it short.

So the quest for the u100 still goes on, I really am super confident I will get there this yr if I stay fit and can play, I think I'd bet pretty big on myself to break 100 at reasonable odds on this year, have already pledged £1k to charity + a monkey more for every shot under when I get there, hopefully for the sake of said charity I randomly light it up and shoot 92 Smiley Biggest breakthrough this year has been that I'm really getting all the way back in my pivot, I think I had a tendency to slide, rather than turn, amazing when you turn back properly you just snap pick up extra yards for basically no effort, I think my swing is better than you're average 27hcap guy, I just need to convert it into scores!

Mostly though I'm just loving playing, I'm busy and stressed a lot but 4-5 hours playing golf I can really switch off and not look much at my phone etc, I'm very lucky I've been to play loads of amazing courses (far too good for me!) and I play with guys off 4/5 quite a bit as well as my coach (who I've become gd mates with) who's +1/2 and playing on the course with sick golfers is just so good, when Dan is firing of a +hcap it's other worldly to watch, absolutely mind boggling how you watch him play and wonder how it's possible to play better, but how many many miles not good enough he is to make it to even the euro tour (or DP tour now) he is. What an absolutely brutal game it is. Really is a wonderful past time!

What goes down on Blonde these days, how's everyone doing? I still speak to a few of the old legends but missing a few guys on here, Tikay not seen or spoken too in forever!  Any golf tips greatly appreciated.

I swear to god Andy Wayman if you come rolling in here with that bloody picture I'lll hunt you down and hurt you

Welcome back.

When I read this, I thought of this Ash Barty article which is barely believable.  Would love to know which course it was.

Perhaps the greatest indication of her talent came not on the court or at the wicket, but on the golf course. “She was watching a golf tournament on TV,” says Dave Richards, Barty’s former coach at Queensland Cricket. “She turned around and said: ‘I reckon I could have a go at that.’ She went out the following day and shot a round of 81. Eighty-one! That was the first time she had ever picked up a set of clubs. It gives you an idea of the kind of talent we were dealing with

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/the-nightwatchman/2022/mar/24/ash-barty-tennis-cricket-golf-nightwatchman-grand-slams

That must be the lowest round of golf anyone has hit first time on a course.  I have played very rarely, but don't think I ever troubled 100 on a proper sized course.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 31, 2022, 08:16:24 AM »

Very similar story only I joined a neighbouring club that has a recipricating agreement with Finchley.  I went from kicking it around twice a year pre covid to 14 hcap nowadays, playing every week but not overdoing it.  If you are struggling for a game midweek shoot me a message and we can do a home&away?

Mr Galloway, you have a golf game, expect a message.

Lets sniff out a bit of good weather and it would be a pleasure to see you again, been a silly old while.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 31, 2022, 08:22:31 AM »

Welcome back.

When I read this, I thought of this Ash Barty article which is barely believable.  Would love to know which course it was.

Perhaps the greatest indication of her talent came not on the court or at the wicket, but on the golf course. “She was watching a golf tournament on TV,” says Dave Richards, Barty’s former coach at Queensland Cricket. “She turned around and said: ‘I reckon I could have a go at that.’ She went out the following day and shot a round of 81. Eighty-one! That was the first time she had ever picked up a set of clubs. It gives you an idea of the kind of talent we were dealing with

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/the-nightwatchman/2022/mar/24/ash-barty-tennis-cricket-golf-nightwatchman-grand-slams

That must be the lowest round of golf anyone has hit first time on a course.  I have played very rarely, but don't think I ever troubled 100 on a proper sized course.

Hi Doobs, how you been!

You know it's honestly amazing, sporting acumen just such a powerful tool, all the footballers make great golfers etc (obviously having time is another big edge) but as good as enthusiasm, time, effort, temperament, hard work etc is there's very little substitute for just natural ability. When mates of mine get into golf can just tell instantly who's gonna race down to a 18 with very little stress. They are amazing these people, Barty shooting 81 on her first round is literally unreal.

Me I fear will be a herculean effort down to 16 and it's likely where I'll stay, but it's nice to have a focus!!

What you up to these days??

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 31, 2022, 08:22:54 AM »

and it sounds like you're gonna be giving me some shots Simon Smiley

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 31, 2022, 02:00:45 PM »

Welcome back.

Hi Doobs, how you been!

You know it's honestly amazing, sporting acumen just such a powerful tool, all the footballers make great golfers etc (obviously having time is another big edge) but as good as enthusiasm, time, effort, temperament, hard work etc is there's very little substitute for just natural ability. When mates of mine get into golf can just tell instantly who's gonna race down to a 18 with very little stress. They are amazing these people, Barty shooting 81 on her first round is literally unreal.

Me I fear will be a herculean effort down to 16 and it's likely where I'll stay, but it's nice to have a focus!!

What you up to these days??

Just before my eldest was born, I took a few lessons and managed to get down to just over 40 on a 9 holer.  It was a really basic course with no par , so don't think it was ever equivalent to 100 on a full sized course.  Sad thing is I just discovered it has gone now, there were obvious issues with a fairly central London course back then.
Glad to see that there is a park there now. (https://www.standard.co.uk/reveller/attractions/springfield-park-will-be-london-s-first-since-the-olympics-a3900056.html)

My eldest did a couple of one day golf lessons last summer with no encouragement from me - she just fancied giving it a go.   Suspect she'll go past me in no time, but might go back and get more lessons with her. She seems much more naturally sporty than I was; but she literally watched videos of sprint techniques before school sports day.  Even though I was competitive, I can't imagine ever doing that at 13 even if we had the chance.  One of her mates is UK standard at athletics, so probably has good peer pressure too.

Other than looking after kids and work, still playing poker a couple of times a week.   I was getting pretty crap, but paid for Pad's course and am probably profitable again despite only ever watching a few of the modules.  Just needed something to get rid of a few bad habits.  If I ever had the time to do it all I'd crush.  Will be out in Vegas in the summer for just a week.  Have mostly given up on omaha, but still think I have a WSOP final table in me at O8. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 31, 2022, 02:23:11 PM »

Blast from the past!!

Glad to hear all is well, and look forward to seeing you on Sky Sports at one of the pro-am comps soon Grin

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 31, 2022, 05:50:23 PM »

re Barty I would reckon she would be a wizard at chipping and putting due to super hand eye co-ordination.  I would be v surprised if her full swing was as per the rulebook, but again some sort of hand arms effort would work pretty well for someone with her talent, if the course wasn't long or had long carries to greens or fairways.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 02, 2022, 10:27:03 AM »

Knew I shoulda said I was off 20.  I also owe you the 2nd half of that story from that particular evening, I'm sure we both had a great night, but I'd be amazed if they ended similarly  Lips Sealed

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 02, 2022, 11:06:56 AM »

Blimey, LilDave, the ultimate degen is back.

Great to hear from you mate.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 04, 2022, 02:49:36 PM »

Knew I shoulda said I was off 20.  I also owe you the 2nd half of that story from that particular evening, I'm sure we both had a great night, but I'd be amazed if they ended similarly  Lips Sealed

Haha, mate this is so intriguing, getting the sense this is one for the clubhouse not the internet Smiley

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 04, 2022, 02:52:01 PM »

Just before my eldest was born, I took a few lessons and managed to get down to just over 40 on a 9 holer.  It was a really basic course with no par , so don't think it was ever equivalent to 100 on a full sized course.  Sad thing is I just discovered it has gone now, there were obvious issues with a fairly central London course back then.
Glad to see that there is a park there now. (https://www.standard.co.uk/reveller/attractions/springfield-park-will-be-london-s-first-since-the-olympics-a3900056.html)

My eldest did a couple of one day golf lessons last summer with no encouragement from me - she just fancied giving it a go.   Suspect she'll go past me in no time, but might go back and get more lessons with her. She seems much more naturally sporty than I was; but she literally watched videos of sprint techniques before school sports day.  Even though I was competitive, I can't imagine ever doing that at 13 even if we had the chance.  One of her mates is UK standard at athletics, so probably has good peer pressure too.

Other than looking after kids and work, still playing poker a couple of times a week.   I was getting pretty crap, but paid for Pad's course and am probably profitable again despite only ever watching a few of the modules.  Just needed something to get rid of a few bad habits.  If I ever had the time to do it all I'd crush.  Will be out in Vegas in the summer for just a week.  Have mostly given up on omaha, but still think I have a WSOP final table in me at O8. 

Yeh, getting into golf as a kid is defo the way, drives me wild watching some of these 12/13 yr olds just drill it round the course in the summer like its easiest thing in the world, IT'S HARD!

Glad to hear going well, still got your fingers in the poker pie which is as I'd expect Smiley See you on that O8 FT !

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 04, 2022, 02:52:47 PM »

Blimey, LilDave, the ultimate degen is back.

Great to hear from you mate.

Hey Teacake!

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: